Hello all

I've been playing guitar for a little over a year. I practice 3-4 times a week
usually for 30 mins to an hour per session, I'm happy with how I'm progressing
but I have run into a little situation.

Cause I live in a unit, and the neighbours are rather fussy, I've been playing
without an amp. I have a little practice amp but its got no overdrive or distortion
settings on it, so I'm always playing a clear channel.

Which has brought me to the conclusion of buying a good quality amp, effects
processor, and upgrade the guitar too. But because most of my guitar playing
life has been spent in the absence of an amp, I have no idea what kinda
accessories and such that I will need for my little setup.

For what I'm looking for I've selected the following.

Marshall MG100DFX
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Behringer VAMP2 processor
Roland FV50L Volume Pedal

I'll need the volume pedal for a couple songs I love playing, but I'm unsure of
anything else I'll need, some might say this is a little optimistic for someone with
only a year playing under their belt, but I've calculated my finances and this is
well within the limits of affordable and I figure I could use this gear for another
4-5 years as I improve. Thats my rational anyway.

Could someone fill me in please on what I might be missing out on here, so I
know what to get with out getting ripped off.

Thanks
Dan
Stay as far away from the Marshall MG series as you can, same goes for the Line 6 Spiders. They may sound good to you now, but to you especially, I doubt you have a good ear for tone yet as you said you play your guitar unplugged most of the time. This will come over time, but you don't want to be stuck with an amp that you won't like once you finally do start to hear the little things in your tone.

What kind of genres are you going to be playing and what's your budget?

The Epiphone is a decent guitar, though a lot don't like its pickups, but it's quite versatile and should do what you want provided you like how it plays, etc. However, if a Les Paul is what you're after, I'd suggest an Agile instead, for the same price you can get a far superior guitar (imo). Check them out, www.rondomusic.com

Behringer (imo) makes very poor products and I've never been impressed by a single thing they've put out besides maybe their $50 bass practice amps which are actually quite good. Besides that, their guitar amps and pedals are pretty bad quality in the build department and sound. Again, what's your budget, we can guide you to something that would be better for you.

I've not tried the volume pedal as I really don't have a use for one, so I can't comment on that, perhaps someone else will have an opinion on it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jan 30, 2008,
roland microcube and just cubes in general > that list
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Rather than that, you could just get a nice Vox Valvetronix amp. That way, you get effects and amp models, and also an amp, all in one package. It would sound better than both the MG and the V-AMP. That and the Epi LP should be perfect
Hi guys

Thanks for your replies. Yeah Matrix the genre I'm looking at playing is more rock, blues,
pentatonic stuff you know Eric Clapton, Slash, Mark Knopfler. With the exception
of Eric, they use a les paul which is why I made that selection.

So boogieman you recommend a Roland cube ? A friend of mine told me the same thing
what do the rest of you recommend ? oh and I'm a little confused about what to do
about the VAMP ?

Oh and yes my budget is $2000 Australian for Amp & Guitar

Cheers
Dan
Last edited by Dantheman187 at Jan 30, 2008,
Roland cube, yes indeedyo. Try out a microcube and run it flat out adn ask yourself if you'll ever need it to be that loud. Do this so you know you arent spending too much money on a louder model that you wont need.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
With what you want to play, I'd rather have a Vox valvetronix, but with that kinda budget, you should be able to do much better. I'm not too fond of the Cubes anyway *shrug*

I'll check out some aussie sites and see what I see since a lot of your guy's prices are crazy
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
man, with a budget like that you can do nicer, mabe a randall rg50tc, epi , and still afford all those pedals
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Get a Cube 60 and a wah and you would be set. The cubes have a socket for headphones aswell if I'm not mistaken. Built like tank and good enough for gigs
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
Quote by sirlimecat
man, with a budget like that you can do nicer, mabe a randall rg50tc, epi , and still afford all those pedals

He lives in OZ mate, so I doubt
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
Quote by sirlimecat

He's not playing metal, he can do much better for his own genres.

Dan, I checked out prices on www.guitar.com.au and it looks like a Peavey Classic 30 combo would be a great choice for you as it seems within your price range. You won't have all the effects unfortunately with this amp, but it is leagues ahead of the cubes, marshall mgs and vox valtronixs in terms of tone. This is an amp that will last you a long time, much longer than the others.

As for your guitar, I really can't tell you what to buy, just try whatever you think you might like, ask a lot of questions and buy whatever feels best and sounds best to you, but be sure to try it out on the amp you're going to get.

Depending on how much you have left over, you might have enough to buy a nice multi-effects unit if you still think you need it. I'd suggest a Line 6 POD or Boss GT series units, but it's up to you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Dont waste your money on a massive SS amp! its stupid cus sooner or later your gonna want to improve your tone and get a tube amp.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by MatrixClaw
With what you want to play, I'd rather have a Vox valvetronix, but with that kinda budget, you should be able to do much better. I'm not too fond of the Cubes anyway *shrug*

I'll check out some aussie sites and see what I see since a lot of your guy's prices are crazy

Thanks mate, the site I use to get alot of my prices from is

www.allansmusic.com.au

for example a

Roland Cube 30x = $479
Boss ME-50 = $499

would the boss be a good replacement for the VAMP2 ?

Cheers
Dan
Quote by Dantheman187
Hi guys

Thanks for your replies. Yeah Matrix the genre I'm looking at playing is more rock, blues,
pentatonic stuff you know Eric Clapton, Slash, Mark Knopfler. With the exception
of Eric, they use a les paul which is why I made that selection.

So boogieman you recommend a Roland cube ? A friend of mine told me the same thing
what do the rest of you recommend ? oh and I'm a little confused about what to do
about the VAMP ?

Oh and yes my budget is $2000 Australian for Amp & Guitar

Cheers
Dan

Both Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler are famous for playing strats actually. Because of that you might want to look into a strat, maybe a Mexican Fender Standard or a 50's Classic. The Vox Valvetronix I would think is a great amp for you with a ton of options.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Thanks all for your input, based on my budget
I'm gonna have a look at the following

Epi LP Custom
Roland Cube 30X
Boss ME-50 and Vox Valvetronix Tonelab LE
Boss FV50L volume pedal
Boss PW-10 V-wah pedal

$2600 give or take
blows out my budget a bit , but thats the ceiling for sure lol !
Quote by RHCPfan01
Both Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler are famous for playing strats actually. Because of that you might want to look into a strat, maybe a Mexican Fender Standard or a 50's Classic. The Vox Valvetronix I would think is a great amp for you with a ton of options.

I'm aware that both mark and eric are traditionally strat men. But a couple of my fav songs are played on les pauls, november rain and brothers in arms, not to mention
I love the sound of the humbuckers.

I was looking at getting a japanese 57 reissue with texas singles to get that real
mark knopfler tone, but I'll wait until I'm good enough and my bank account is large
enough lol !
Hey I just have 1 more question. As I said I've been playing guitar unplugged
mostly so amps and so forth are new to me. I know this is rather fussy of me
to ask this but I just don't wanna walk into a shop and find myself at the mercy
of a really good salesman who trys to bull**** me and sell me **** I don't need.

so if I walk in there and said

epi lp custom
roland cube
boss me-50
boss fv50l

is that all I need ? or will they guy turn around and say u need this u need that
as I said I'm a total noob never done this before.
roland micro cube is only 100 dollars USD and good for waht you play, don't waste money on the 30. other than that you're set. (Don't get the boss, cubes have tons of effects built in)

And if you know what you want and you tell them, the guy will probably give it to you.
Quote by MatrixClaw
He's not playing metal, he can do much better for his own genres.

Dan, I checked out prices on www.guitar.com.au and it looks like a Peavey Classic 30 combo would be a great choice for you as it seems within your price range. You won't have all the effects unfortunately with this amp, but it is leagues ahead of the cubes, marshall mgs and vox valtronixs in terms of tone. This is an amp that will last you a long time, much longer than the others.

As for your guitar, I really can't tell you what to buy, just try whatever you think you might like, ask a lot of questions and buy whatever feels best and sounds best to you, but be sure to try it out on the amp you're going to get.

Depending on how much you have left over, you might have enough to buy a nice multi-effects unit if you still think you need it. I'd suggest a Line 6 POD or Boss GT series units, but it's up to you.

I didn't even see his posting of music taste.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive