Hey guys
Everything I write sounds totally cliched. Can anyone give me some advice or tips on how to get out my true emotions rather than overused representations of them?

Say it like you were talking. Thank about the guy (girl?) you've always wanted to be, imagine how they'd talk and the interesting things they'd say, and approach a subject from diffferent angles.

Think of an object, any object at all, and find a way to relate it to your original idea. Just for practice.

love is a dog from hell.

before you write, make sure you dont listen to any music whatsoever for at least a couple days.
if you listen to music it's going to influence you a bit too much and you'll sound too much like whatever you're listening to.
Use alot of imagery and description. Find new ways to describe things, do alot of reading because that will improve your vocabulary. Semantic association is always good too- like when youre trying to write about a subject, write down the first word/phrase that comes into your head. If you're still in school pay attention to your classes no matter how boring they are- they are a breeding ground for metaphors.
cliche's arent always bad... if you're going for a more pop-ish sound, they actually help. most people listening to the radio and stuff dont care about smart, snappy lyrics. they want a nice melody and a hook.
Quote by GuitarGrrl16
cliche's arent always bad... if you're going for a more pop-ish sound, they actually help. most people listening to the radio and stuff dont care about smart, snappy lyrics. they want a nice melody and a hook.

Most true musicians want to express what they feel, and not cater to twelve year old girls.

I've actually found an exercise that helps me is to sit in a restaurant with some food, a pencil and paper, and write down every single damned thing that runs through my head, then try to write these into a song later.

It may not work for you, but I can come up with some pretty original stuff. Just a suggestion.
just try not to limit yourself. thats the beautiful thing about songwriting, you can do what you want.
might help to listen to people who are known for their lyrics*cough*dylan*cough* but it depends what your writing for. learn from the masters young grasshopper
Quote by Unreal445
just try not to limit yourself. thats the beautiful thing about songwriting, you can do what you want.
might help to listen to people who are known for their lyrics*cough*dylan*cough* but it depends what your writing for. learn from the masters young grasshopper

heh heh well yeah but it in a sense that this guy DOESNT want to sound like a cliché and if you listen to it too much then its kinda inevitable to sound a little like that, so just write whats in your head and not on the radio

but thats just how it works for me you guys might be different