Ok, first off I have used the search bar and have found some helpful information but I still have some questions that remain unanswered.

Ok our band has 2 guitarists, a bassist, a singer and a drummer. I really would like to record us live and not do multi track recordings.

Now I read in some of the other threads about Tone port and other USB recording interfaces. But all of the ones that I have looked at had 2 instrument inputs and 2 mic inputs. Whereas our band would need 4-6 inputs and 3 mic inputs.

So how do we record all our parts together and get them to the computer? Do we just use a mixer?
Quote by twolostsouls
Mixer

Ok so if we record through a mixer will it show up in the recording program all on 1 track? Or will it separate all the inputs (ie the guitar is one 1 track, bass on another, drums ect. so we can tweak the sounds on some instruments)
As one track, but you should be able to tweak it within the mixer. There's no cheap way to record a band live, so I would just go with a mixer into a toneport.
Hi, how are you?
Quote by twolostsouls
As one track, but you should be able to tweak it within the mixer. There's no cheap way to record a band live, so I would just go with a mixer into a toneport.

wait? record everyone through a mixer, then hook the mixer up to the toneport? How if the toneport only has 1 or 2 inputs?
A mixer has a balanced output that you usually put into an audio interface, such as a toneport.

A mixer can't record everything, it just sends it down to one audio signal.
Hi, how are you?
Quote by twolostsouls
A mixer has a balanced output that you usually put into an audio interface, such as a toneport.

A mixer can't record everything, it just sends it down to one audio signal.

ok so the mixer wouldn't work alone without an audio interface to capture the sound.

I though maybe you could hook some RCA cables from the mixer to the sound card in the computer. But thanks for clearing that up.

Also thank you very much for the help it is very much appreciated
Quote by twolostsouls
Actually you could do that, it just wouldn't sound great.

I understand, thanks for all the help man