i know its bad to rest your hand on the bridge or pinky under the e string, unless youre palm muting, but how about putting, your arm on the top of the guitar, to at least remain precise? its nearly impossible for me to play without doing this.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
i know its bad to rest your hand on the bridge or pinky under the e string, unless youre palm muting

Since when? I usually do that either way for more control when playing, but I switch sometimes between anchoring my pinky/ring and not.
"I play guitar" - Me
Quote by adamrandall
i know its bad to rest your hand on the bridge or pinky under the e string, unless youre palm muting, but how about putting, your arm on the top of the guitar, to at least remain precise? its nearly impossible for me to play without doing this.

It's not.

Remember though; the part that makes anchoring 'bad' is putting to much stress on your hand/wrist/forearm. Changing picking style from anchoring, to "forcefully tryin to not anchor", is probably just as bad due to the tension you're creating.

Let it be natural, is what I'm saying.
i was just reading around and heard alot was "bad" about it. i normally do it, but im working on both ways now.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
honestly, anything with a goddamn guitar in my hands feels natural.
:]
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Quote by Soulinfector
Since when? I usually do that either way for more control when playing, but I switch sometimes between anchoring my pinky/ring and not.

Well, as I said, if your pinky/ring finger 'falls' towards the body when picking, it's probably relaxed in natural. If you have to mindfully 'keep' it there though, that's probably putting a lot of stress and tension on your arm, and that could be dangerous.

I'm one of the first; my pinky will sometimes fall to the body when I'm on the higher strings, and never when I'm on the lower strings. It always feels very relaxed.

...your avatar scares the hell out of me.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Who says resting on the bridge is bad? I do it all the time, if your comfortable with something, then do it. If you can play well like that, then who is anyone to tell you how to play?
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
if you look at a ton of players, for example john petrucci, there are times when he anchors his pinky.
just watch videos of the pros playing and you'll get an idea of what works. what you'll find out is that anything goes