It's been an incredibly grueling journey to get my guitar and now I'm shopping for new pickups too:

I'm thinking about getting a Burstbucker pro for the bridge of my guitar cause I'm looking for something with really warm tones for jazz and whatnot. But I'm completely at a loss for what I should get on for the neck.

I stopped by at a recommended place called Aantones and he basically gave me a really good deal: Burstbucker pro and a 496R and installation for 220 bucks. I'm switching from actives to passives so that's pretty nice but is the 496R okay as a neck pickup?
I think that's a lot of money to pay for Gibson pickups. They're not that great. For around the same amount of money, you could get better handwound pickups, or for less money, you could get pickups that are just as good.

The Burstbucker isn't the first pick I think of for Jazz, by the way.

Also, what's your amp?

btw, where in Cali do you live?
Quote by forsaknazrael
I think that's a lot of money to pay for Gibson pickups. They're not that great. For around the same amount of money, you could get better handwound pickups, or for less money, you could get pickups that are just as good.

The Burstbucker isn't the first pick I think of for Jazz, by the way.

Also, what's your amp?

btw, where in Cali do you live?

Well it's not that much considering that I have to make the change from active to passive which is like 80 to a 100 bucks in itself along with the pickups...so he's giving me a pretty good deal-basically half off on the pickups.

Well I was on the borderline from 57 Classic Humbuckers from Burstbuckers...Les Paul is a jazz guitarist and the Gibson line is decent for what I'd like at least.

Currently using a very crappy amp (but surprisingly enough it still sounds okay) - A Cube 30.

I live in Fremont-drove down to Newark to talk to the guy//
The BurstBucker Pros are poor pickups. Additionally, they're too hot for jazz.
Pretty much same goes for the 49xX series (e.g. 490R, 498T, and so on). They're very poor and very overpriced pickups, and again, none of them will suit jazz particularly.

If you're going down the Gibson pickup route, really there's only two good options:
- '57 Classics. Not particularly good for jazz, but they're good pickups for most things and would probably be 'alright' for your use. At least they're worth their price tag.
- BurstBucker # series. These are far better than the BB Pros, they're more than worth their price tags, and between the three of them you can manage almost anything. For Jazz you'd probably want the slightly underwound and thick #1 in the neck, and the average mid-heavy #2 in the bridge. There's also the #3, but that's overwound and has more top-end as well as more mids, and is really meant for hard rock or metal. The one and only downside to the BurstBucker # series is that they cost a little bit more than the Pros in most countries. In my view this is worth it since the Pros aren't worth jack and the # series are superb, but it does mean you're looking at £130~ or so per pickup in a store (I don't know the exact price in dollars). I put a #2 in the neck and a #3 in the bridge on all my guitars, and with Fender amps, I can get passable jazz tones. It does require tweaking though with that setup; I think you'd definitely want to go with the #1 and #2 instead of #2 and #3.

If you're willing to go for a different brand, look into Seymour Duncan. More people prefer their pickups to Gibson's own anyway.
For you, the obvious choices would be the Jazz and the Pearly Gates models for the neck. Maybe a '59 model or Alnico II Pro for the bridge. The Jazz and '59 would have a little more bite to them, the Pearly Gates and Alnico II Pro would be a touch smoother. A Seth Lover model could also be good in either position, though personally I think they're a touch too bland.
Quote by Koreanflow
Well it's not that much considering that I have to make the change from active to passive which is like 80 to a 100 bucks in itself along with the pickups...so he's giving me a pretty good deal-basically half off on the pickups.

Well I was on the borderline from 57 Classic Humbuckers from Burstbuckers...Les Paul is a jazz guitarist and the Gibson line is decent for what I'd like at least.

Currently using a very crappy amp (but surprisingly enough it still sounds okay) - A Cube 30.

I live in Fremont-drove down to Newark to talk to the guy//

Les Paul may do Jazz, but it's not like he uses Burstbuckers...you know...Just because the guitar is called a Les Paul doesn't mean it's everything he uses.

Why Gibson?
A pair of Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros would probably be better, IMO.

In any case, 80-100 is pretty ridiculous, for a job that doesn't cost more than 20 bucks in parts, other than the pickups. I believe in learning how to do it yourself.
How is that a good deal at all?

You can customize your own pickups at www.highorderpickups.com for cheaper than off the shelf Gibsons.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.