Well it's a new year, and I'm gonna try to get back into the homework and all that... So instead of getting addicted to WoW I might try reading books

Recommend me some please =]

I mainly like fantasy stuff really... No Harry Potter or LotR though please.
LOOK OUT! THERE'S ONE RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

You're welcome.
<Han> I love Hitler
Find any Dragonlance book you can find written by Weis and Hickman. I personally suggest the War of Souls trilogy, tis ****ing epic. "Dune" is a great book, I just finished it and it had me gripped after I got into it. I'm awaiting the next one in the mail.

The Redwall books are really good too, but they're just slightly on the childish side. Nevertheless, great books.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
I just got done reading Desperation by Stephen King. Amazing book, best I've ever read. Starts off kind of slow, but really picks up and is just focking sweet.
If you can bridge over to sci-fi:
Brave New World by Huxley
1984 by Orwell
Farenheit 451 by bradbury
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip Dick

Granted these are all classics you have probrably already heard of but that doesn't mean they should be skipped.
INB4 ELITISM.

Quote by Demonology
Well it's a new year, and I'm gonna try to get back into the homework and all that... So instead of getting addicted to WoW I might try reading books

Recommend me some please =]

I mainly like fantasy stuff really... No Harry Potter or LotR though please.

Definitely check out the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Amazing. And I've heard good things about Dune.
Eragon, Eldest (Eragon sequel), the third book whenever it decides to come out. A hell of a lot better than the movie was...
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Ibanez S470 DXQM
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Original Crybaby
His Dark Materials

So that'd be Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, and The Golden Compass (the names of the first and 3rd get switched around alot though, the movie just made is of the first book).

The movie was a fair bit of fun but the books are terrific. Highly recommended.
^ Well said.

Check out Mark Chadbourn, I've not read any other fantasy like his Age of Misrule and Dark Age trilogies. It's spectacular.
OH LAWWD! How did I forget the Wheel of Time series?
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
I second the Dark Tower series notion as well as any other King book.
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Quote by Mr Montana
His Dark Materials

So that'd be Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, and The Golden Compass (the names of the first and 3rd get switched around alot though, the movie just made is of the first book).

The movie was a fair bit of fun but the books are terrific. Highly recommended.

It's Northern Lights (The Golden Compass for the Americans), The Subtle Knife and then The Amber Spyglass. The alethiometer doesn't play nearly as a big a role in the third book, so why the Hell would it focus the title on it?

As for the TS, this is the 100th book thread. Congratulations! You win my contempt.
To keep you quiet though -
-A Song of Ice and Fire series, by George RR Martin
-Three Men in a Boat, by Jerome K Jerome
-Carry On Jeeves, by PG Wodehouse (there are a lot of books in this series, that's just one I enjoyed)
-And try reading some poetry/short story anthologies. I got Edgar Allan Poe's complete works for a tenner from Amazon the other day. I don't know how much that is in Aus dollars, but it's not much.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
OH LAWWD! How did I forget the Wheel of Time series?

Because that prick Robert Jordan had to go and die before he finished it.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Check out The Footprints of God by Greg Iles. Damn good book.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
Quote by Dinkydaisy
It's Northern Lights (The Golden Compass for the Americans), The Subtle Knife and then The Amber Spyglass. The alethiometer doesn't play nearly as a big a role in the third book, so why the Hell would it focus the title on it?

Right you would be Hannah, my bad. Nice spot.

Been a while since I've read them, which I'll use as my excuse for mixing them up
well im also a fantasy man

BUT! rockstar biographies. are the awesome.

Scar Tissue - Anthony Kiedis
The Dirt - Motley Crue
Tommyland - Tommy Lee
The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell - Marylin Manson
Slash - Saul Hudon... good book.
The Heroin Diaries, A year in the life of a shattered rockstar - these are actual diary entries Nikki Sixx made in the 80's... havent read this yet but heard its interesting.

Not fantasy but still, great stories. If you like the stories more than the actual music making times.. i suggest The Dirt, Scare Tissue and Slash.

EDIT:

here are some fantasy ones..

The Belgariad Series by oh **** i can't believe i've forgotten his name.. David Eddings
The Mallorean series - sequel to the belgariad series
Belgarath The Sorcerer
Polgara The Sorceress

read in that order.. all by David Eddings. awesome books.

and one more...

Uther by Jack Whyte

great book.
Last edited by NOSPI at Jan 30, 2008,
Wow thanks guys =]

Just got back to taking care of some stuff and woah, this is a great list!
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because that prick Robert Jordan had to go and die before he finished it.

the Wheel of Time series is awesome, still haven't finished it though.

don't worry, he told his family how the last book goes so it'll get written one day and we'll know exactly in what epic way the world will end
Quote by NOSPI
well im also a fantasy man

I didn't know they were so common.

Anyway, you HAVE to try the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. It's a mix of fantasy, humor and wit - by far the best thing I have ever seen written down!

Also, it has some badass characters:

█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
Dune

/thread

One of the best fantasy/sci fi books out there.
Other books you might like to read even tho they arnt exactly fantasy include. Fight Club, 1984, Brave New World, Animal Farm, To Kill A Mockingbird, A Tale of Two Citys. All great books. Also most books outside the top 5 of the top 100 books of whatever your retail book store is are usualy good reads. I say this because usualy the top 5 are taken up by more recent stuff and Harry Potter.

Also not sure if you are saying no lord of the rings because you dont like them or because you have read them all. But if you read them and liked them you might like some other books on that world such as Children of Hurin, The Simalarion (sp?) and some of his unfinished tales.
Quote by Rokeman
the Wheel of Time series is awesome, still haven't finished it though.

don't worry, he told his family how the last book goes so it'll get written one day and we'll know exactly in what epic way the world will end

Meh, I stopped reading around book eight anyway, I got tired of just reading paragraph after paragraph about Rand getting laid. Firstly because I was jealous that he was with three women, and secondly because I decided that Robert Jordan just turned into a dirty old perv in his last years.

The one where he had the male Aes Sedai blow up all those Aiel heads was AWESOME, though.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Our Band could Be Your Life. Interesting read if you are into the underground/alternative US 80s music scene.
...Bleep Bloop...
For a good bit of sci-fi I heartily recommend:

Anything by Peter F Hamiliton, Alastair Reynolds

Also try William Gibson (Neruomancer, Mona Lisa Overdrive etc), and Neal Stephenson (Diamond Age) for a bit of cyberpunk / steampunk fun.

SH
Pretty much any book by David Gemmell is good, My favourite series of his is the Rigante saga (sp?) its based on Celt tribes etc.
Here's AN AWESOME one!

Henry Cherriere - Papillon.
It's an amazing story about a guy convicted to jail in France for a crime that he didn't commit, and he decides to escape and goes out and in of the jail all over the world. AMAZING book.
The writer claims that it's a true story. However, it's too crazy to believe it really happened.

Another great one. The biggest best seller from Spain. "Carlos Ruiz Zafon - The Shadow Of The Wind".
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

You should read these:
Fight Club by Chuck Palhniuk, much better than the film. Anything else he writes is great too.
Dreamcatcher and The Green Mile by Stephen King
Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
Lord Of The Flies by William Golding

In my opinion they are all must-reads.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
A Song of Ice and Fire series, by George RR Martin

YES!
That is, if you don't mind rampant sex and violence everywhere.

And the first half of the Wheel of Time series, the rest is pretty much the same rehashed, recycled book over and over again.

michael crichton dosent really write fantasy, but if you lik the cataclysmic-type books, check out timeline, prey, sphere, andromeda strain.....

also try star wars rouge sqaudron series. kinda more sci-fi, but idk, there still great books
Quote by djmay71
OMG

eddievh2, you are a genuis, and true man of action

damn right

Quote by Zugunruhe

or else, how good are you at drawing penises?

lulz
American Gods
Neverwhere
Anansi Boys
Stardust

all by neil gaiman. all his stuff is good but those are the ones i could remember.
Quote by x_themetalfan_x

The Redwall books are really good too, but they're just slightly on the childish side. Nevertheless, great books.

I agree, those books are brilliant.
Try the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman or some Stephen King. The Dark Tower series is awesome.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by En_zed

Vimes is easily one of the best characters in modern literature.

Anyway, TS, check out these:
Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb
Discworld series by Terry Pratchett
Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist
Legend by David Gemmell

I'd start with those for now.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Animal Farm +1

The Catcher in the Rye- Salinger
The Scarlet Letter- Hawthorne
Night- Wiesel