Hey guys, i'm just asking yous what i should do, because i can not decide.

Here are the pros and cons i know

Pros:
- Awesome whammy sounds
- Much cooler looking
- Stays in tune a lot more

Cons:
- Harder to change strings
- Seems really complicated
- Can stuff up easy
- Know nothing about them or servicing them

Plus, i play a lot with resting my hand on the bridge and I'm worried i will stuff it up, and this isn't a customizing question because I'm asking if i should a guitar with a Floyd rose?

Also, my guitar teacher once got one and he liked it till he had to changes strings, then he had all sorts of trouble with it so he just sold the guitar in the end
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
go with the floyd rose,dive bomb harmonics are like angels singing
Fallen Into the Abyss of indignity, Doubt Does Not exist Or Dome Into Being Ignominious and Pale
Ok, but i rest my hand on it a lot when i play, will it damage it or move or what?
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

Don't get a OFR, Ibanez have created a superior one.

Called the TR or something
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Yeah, i'm asking this question because i am looking a B.C. Rich WMD Warbeast Or A WMD SOB, the SOB has no Floyd rose but the Warbeast does. And don't go suggesting "get this one" or "those are sh*t" i am asking also for future reference, and i might not even get those guitars
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

Depends how hard you rest your hand on the Bridge.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
OFR are sweeet

and you wont have any problems with it, they are super easy to change striings. I mean they are different but once you get it down its the same process really.

gl

there are so many possibilities of FUN with FR's I dont know whyyou wouldnt get one.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Ok, i might have one on my next guitar, if i don't like it, i can always sell it to some willing FR fans
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

Quote by Dimster Ds
Ok, but i rest my hand on it a lot when i play, will it damage it or move or what?

The best way to fix that problem is to not rest on the bridge It will also help your playing a shedload.
Quote by Dimster Ds
i am looking a B.C. Rich

bc rich? are you mall metal?
Fallen Into the Abyss of indignity, Doubt Does Not exist Or Dome Into Being Ignominious and Pale
Quote by Nekrofagist
bc rich? are you mall metal?

Dude, if you have looked at and heard a Warbeast, you will look at them from a different view once you have, it has turned bc haters into bc lovers

And i find it a lot easier to play lead while resting my hand on the tremolo otherwise i hit other strings by accident and stuff up big time because I'm not very co-ordinated
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

Quote by Dimster Ds

And i find it a lot easier to play lead while resting my hand on the tremolo otherwise i hit other strings by accident and stuff up big time because I'm not very co-ordinated

Its actually a good idea to rest your hand as it mutes the strings, but you need to be light enough so it doesn't pull the Floyd sharp. Really, they hard to work on and change strings on at all, you just have to learn.
It takes some getting used to, and a little more maintinance, and changing strings takes more time but isn't necesarily harder. If you can get past all that, then they are very worth it because they add a whole new dimension to your playing.

I highly advise against them though if you change tunings a lot. Expect to keep it in the same tuning all the time, other than maybe the occasional dropping of the E string.

Don't listen to the BCR haters. Most of them have only played their low end instruments, which are, admitedly, crap. But their mid to high end guitars are top notch, and the WMD series is no exception. They play and sound wonderfully.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by WH15P3R

It's actually called the ZR, or Zero Resistance trem, which has evolved into the Edge Zero. Both have an ingenious device called a Zero Point System that acts as a stop-bar; it catches the trem like a synchronous trem but allows you to push past it to lift. Beautiful piece of engineering; the bridge isn't truly floating, but you get the floating effect.
In a nutshell, you can break/change strings without readjusting the bridge! Well, seriously at any rate. TS, if you want an FR setup but (like me) are scared of ****ing up a Floyd, go for an Ibanez with an Edge Zero or ZR trem. They've got really high reviews. I doubt you could go wrong!

Rob

edit: the ZR trem is ONLY available on Ibby S-series (inc. Prestige), but the Edge Zero's being rolled out on the RGs and some others. The ZR is joined to the body via ball-bearing pivots, while the Edge still has the FR-style knife-edge balance. In conclusion, the Edge Zero is closer to a true Floyd, but has the stop-bar that could save you a lot of work , while the ZR is a radical design (used by Herman Li of DragonForce, who regularly holds his guitar solely by the whammy bar to get some screaming harmonic lifts - watch their music vids!). I really, really like the look of them - Saturday, i get one and an S470 with it!

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Last edited by quantum leap at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by Dimster Ds
Also, my guitar teacher once got one and he liked it till he had to changes strings, then he had all sorts of trouble with it so he just sold the guitar in the end

if a "teacher" has a to sell a tremolo based guitar because he can't change strings, it's time to find a new teacher. That's ridiculous.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
if a "teacher" has a to sell a tremolo based guitar because he can't change strings, it's time to find a new teacher. That's ridiculous.

Concurred. Its not exactly a difficult procedure, just takes a bit more patience than with a hardtail.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Dimster Ds
Hey guys, i'm just asking yous what i should do, because i can not decide.

Here are the pros and cons i know

Pros:
- Awesome whammy sounds - Yes - but let's not confuse "awesome" with "tasteless", which a lot of silly noob divebombs are.
- Much cooler looking - That depends on who you ask.
- Stays in tune a lot more - Total myth. A properly set up guitar, regardless of bridge, will stay solidly in tune.

Cons:
- Harder to change strings - Yes, but not much harder at all. Not a deal breaker.
- Seems really complicated - It may seem complicated until you learn how easy they are to set up.
- Can stuff up easy - Stuff up? What does that mean?
- Know nothing about them or servicing them - You can learn everything in about 30 minutes.

It all depends on your needs.
Last edited by Scream And Fly at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by WH15P3R

Err actually no. Depends who you ask. Although some will prefer the new ZR others won't. One that surpassed the design of the Floyd was the Steinberger TransTrem back in the 80's where you could vary the pitch and lock it in the position I believe. Pretty cool idea. But it still didn't overtake a Floyd in popularity.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Err actually no. Depends who you ask. Although some will prefer the new ZR others won't. One that surpassed the design of the Floyd was the Steinberger TransTrem back in the 80's where you could vary the pitch and lock it in the position I believe. Pretty cool idea. But it still didn't overtake a Floyd in popularity.

Because like (though to a much greater degree) the ZR, it was harder to work on. Really, the ZR is just a refined Kahler, and doesn't bring anything new to the table. It actually paces behind int he Kahler in the fact parts aren't as readily available, the metal is generally of lower quality, and it requires a lot of router.
Quote by CJRocker
Because like (though to a much greater degree) the ZR, it was harder to work on. Really, the ZR is just a refined Kahler, and doesn't bring anything new to the table. It actually paces behind int he Kahler in the fact parts aren't as readily available, the metal is generally of lower quality, and it requires a lot of router.

Yup totally agree with you. I still like the Floyd the best. Be it the Schaller or Original. I think its a great design and stood the test of time and the amount of professional players that have relied on it speaks for itself. Love it or hate it its still a great system. Its just mainly the kids and the Ibanez fanboys with the "OOOoooh look something new, its the newest greatest thing eva!!" about the ZR
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Erock503

He is a great teacher besides that, he knows a lot about guitar and he is a good teacher, it's just he didn't really like it because it annoyed him, and he actually has a tremolo like a fender on one his guitars that still go back and fourth, great alternative, and that same guitar has no visible pickups
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

Go for the floyd rose, or any other bridge similar to that (Edge Pro, ZR).
You will be able to restring it with confidence when you get used to it (it really isnt hard...)
And I don't think anyone presses down that hard on the strings, or bridge to palm mute (correct me if im wrong :P). I don't think its the bridge that moves, Ive had no problems with palm muting on my edge pro and floyd. But if you do press down reaaal hard when you plam mute, the other strings will go out of tune but will pop back into tune when you release your hand.