I have been given a rack reverb unit (actually an Alesis Midiverb 4 - delay, reverb, pitch, chorus, flange).

Should I stick in in the effects loop of my amp?

Because when I tried it (admittedly on the pre-sets), it sounded awful - reverb clanged around for ages.

I then tried it out through the front end of my microcube and got some very decent sounds on a clean setting, but was again horrible with distortion.

This I can understand because reverb should go after distortion right?

But surely putting it in the loop will place the reverb after the pre-amp gain of the amp?

Or am I wrong?
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
imagine reverb as being a room simulator. The reverberation off the walls comes after the speaker let alone the amp. To get the best out of reverb it should be as close to the end of the signal chain as possible (best after gain). hope that helps

i'm wondering if you can get away with delay in the front of the amp though...
Dancing In Your Dust
Quote by STEALmyDOG
imagine reverb as being a room simulator. The reverberation off the walls comes after the speaker let alone the amp. To get the best out of reverb it should be as close to the end of the signal chain as possible (best after gain). hope that helps

i'm wondering if you can get away with delay in the front of the amp though...

Why is that? I keep my delay pedal right at the end of the chain because I want to be able to use all the other pedals while screwing around with the "hold" function on my DD-3, but is this a bad decision for tonal purposes?
I think with reverb first, gain next you end up adding gain to each and every reflection, so it sounds wrong.

I'll try it out again this week, but hopefully it'll work alright in the loop.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Dr. B
I think with reverb first, gain next you end up adding gain to each and every reflection, so it sounds wrong.

I'll try it out again this week, but hopefully it'll work alright in the loop.

your's and CC 's avatars make me forget what your threads are about, id use it in the loop
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by sirlimecat
your's and CC 's avatars make me forget what your threads are about, id use it in the loop

rofl that is mesmerising breast bouncing.

My holy grail sounds crap infront and sounded better in the FX loop. So I guess yours would be the same. Delay sounded better in the loop too. I guess most things do.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid