Page 1 of 3
I was just wondering what does progressive music mean to people or even u?
I personally feel that progressive music is for the open minded people and the musicians...
it means music that moves
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Whats progressive music and how is it different to normal music (like rock or metal)?

Sorry for being a noob
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
When I hear "prog," I think Dream Theater or Rush or Symphony X. That's about it.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
i think that "classical progressive" has some bullets:

- a lot of keyboards making "the" sound (look at genesis) instead of much guitars;
- people was "skilled", many of them studied conservatorium, or similar;
- they had a way to use counterpoint, not in the classical way, but it is "there";
- many times they preferred using interludium instead of a-solo parts.

in my feelings, it's something like"reasearch music", with much classical influences,
use of flute or other "non-rock" instruments. a richer sound, a richer melody, a complex
interaction between instruments.

furthermore... something very difficult to reproduce in two or three mates today!
timeo abstemios et dona ferentes

- lovermate: fender american stratocaster sunburnst
- powermate: marshall mg 30 dfx

- seiko tuner (sooo useful)
- korg metronome (keep fingers bleeding...)
It means it doesn't have a structure, it moves from section to section progressivly
good spelling there by me
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
Quote by Dimster Ds
Whats progressive music and how is it different to normal music (like rock or metal)?

Sorry for being a noob

The complex stuff that hippies listened to in the 1970s.
Listen to 'Yes' for a prime example.
Basic compositional techniques for majority of the song, with a through composed middle section clearly showing the technical capability of the player and instrument, combined within the context of a band.

I just generally prefer the freedom of prog, as you can include amibience with technical riffs, something not normally achieved today.
ok, cool
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
I can't believe no one has mentioned the Mars Volta. They are about the empitome of genre bending prog.
Pretense.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by J C
I can't believe no one has mentioned the Mars Volta. They are about the empitome of genre bending prog.

Indeed... its taking 2 enemies (prog and punk are mortal enemies) and making them best buddies... Its a really cool combination!
Music that makes progress?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
From what I understand prog mainly includes things like shifting time signatures, key changes and extended instrumental passages all used within the context of another type of music (hence: prog rock, prog metal etc).
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Music that makes progress?

that made my day
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Oh my ***ing god that pron one is like the best one ever and i have seen all of em. Congrats dude you just beat Kensai.
prog music is usually virtruosic and complex. When its good, it's mind blowing. When it's bad, it's just masturbatory.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
When I hear prog... it's usually very technical, covering several genres and then again not fitting in any of them. Stuff like DT, Symphony X, Circus Maximus, Rush etc...
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
iv seen rush come up a few times, i hav to at least partially disagree. I find theyr mor arena/stadium type rock with prog elements.

prod music kind of reminds me of baroque music, in that it often takes a main theme and works variations to that theme. However it does 'progress' to different styles often so cudnt rele b classed as baroque style.

prog music is generally well put together, experimental and technically difficult. some prime examples are yes, gentle giant, pink floyd, genesis, king crimson and van der graaf generator (not well known but listen 2 them!) to name a few.

progressive rock albums are usually intended to be listened to in one sitting (as was the aim on the original vinyls). The songs often blend together instead of being seperated into seperated into different tracks.

thats my rant on prog for the day
I think of everything from Yes to King Crimson to DT.

Edit:
Quote by mr_potroast
prog music is generally well put together, experimental and technically difficult. some prime examples are yes, gentle giant, pink floyd, genesis, king crimson and van der graaf generator (not well known but listen 2 them!) to name a few.

Yep, that's basically me.
Last edited by Kiwi Ace at Jan 30, 2008,
Pink Floyd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d
KEEP ACOUSTIC ALIVE

Quote by Ace88
If i were an enzyme, id be a DNA helicase so i could unzip your genes.

Quote by Skippy_McNutty
Who took the bite out of the Mac Apple?

Quote by metdethslaythrx
naomi.
its "i moan" spelled backwards.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Cheers for the penis!

Muffins?
Quote by T_C
Pink Floyd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d

... pink floyd was mostly psychedelic and space rock, I thought
yes they made prog but more psychedelic and space right??

Forget what I said

When I think of prog I think of nu rules! You can do everything! a 5 minutes solo, a flute solo, whole orchestra. Prog is about musicmanship! NOT bound to mainstream rules!

I listen a lot to Dream Theater, SYmphony X, Genesis, Neal Morse, Spock's Beard and Transatlantic.
tend to use differant time sigs, lots of differant techniques, acoustic and electric guitar and every song has to be at least 10 minutes.

Opeth
Dream Theater
Mastodon
All music is progressive, people who label themselves with it however are nerds who like math problems more than music.
Opeth and Rush.

/Thread?
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by kiennM
All music is progressive, people who label themselves with it however are nerds who like math problems more than music.

No, it's really not.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Progressive music, to me, is music that has complicated, technical, or experimental arrangments, and usually uses multiple styles of music/"feels" to achieve a certain effect.

For example, bands like Necrophagist are technical and complicated but generally produce music that only gives one "feel", whereas a band like Opeth write all over the place and have superheavy death metal juxtaposed with jazz, blues, and rock often within the same song.

Although where that leaves bands like Pink Floyd, I dunno.
I see progressive bands as being part of a genre of music but how experiment and tinker with the genre; stretch it out beyond its expected limits, creating a somewhat new and interesting version of the genre.
Prog rock/metal doesn't techmical or anything like that. It means the music has less of a sturtchere than other rock/metal. It's a dumb genre name.
Quote by Donaldguitar
Prog rock/metal doesn't techmical or anything like that. It means the music has less of a sturtchere than other rock/metal. It's a dumb genre name.

I like you. Mostly because of your gizmo avvy.

Anyway, I can't wait til I invent a genre.. I'm gonna call it.. Flibbareegeedo Rock. It's gonna get me all kinds of awards and recognition in Rollingstone Magazine, and possibly.. Possibly NME.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by kai2demax
I was just wondering what does progressive music mean to people or even u?
I personally feel that progressive music is for the open minded people and the musicians...

We're not people?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
No, it's really not.

explain.
Quote by kiennM
explain.

Cover bands, and bands that merely steal from others are not progressive.
Quote by vintage x metal

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Opeth and Rush.

/Thread?

those aren't the only prog bands... even if they are insanely good.

prog to me means:

a) changes in time signature
b) when a) doesn't occur, unusual rhythms within standards like 3/4, 4/4 etc.
c) (optional) combining a) and/ or b) with use of instruments other than guitars/drums.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Page 1 of 3