Several chord finders displayed 'no matching chord found' for the chord in the attached photo, but the tip of my left little finger is becoming very sore and swollen. Is there any way to protect my little finger's tip while learning this chord?
Attachments:
GminorX_chord.jpg
Quote by Spazzy212
y the **** are you learning it if it doesnt exist?

It may not be named, but it does exist, because you can see each of its notes.
And, yes, it does sound kick ass when hit correctly, but it's making my little finger sore, because, in stretching, I put excess pressure on that fingertip.
Try moving that tricky note to the first string, 5th fret (same note an octave higher) and see if it sounds alright. Or just build up some finger strength.
Quote by DevilsDance76
rigeljs is on the money...

PRS 513 Mahogany>Fulltone Clyde Wah>Tonebone Classic>MXR Dyna Comp>ISP Noise Decimator>Boss TU-2>Mesa Lonestar Special
if you are still a novice or posting in the basics forum you shouldn't be doing anything with that much of a stretch, you'll possibly damage your hand and that'll be the end of playing guitar for ever.

go back to more basic chords and when your little finger is tougher and your hand can stretch better come back to it.
Thank you please.
it may not be named, but it does exist

Its a Gmadd9.

Is it hurting within your hand because of the stretch or is it simply hurting your fingertip?
If its the latter, all you have to do is keep using that pinky till it develops a callous.
those 9 chords are a real bitch, I suggest learning it in a different position
The chord i struggle with is in This Love - Pantera

|-0-|
|-0-|
|-2-|
|-2-|
|-3-|
|-5-|

e|5
B|3
G|3
D|5
A|x
E|3

that's a fairly good substitute for the Gmadd9 you're trying to play. Different voicing, but way easier to play and the exact same chord. To get the low E string (which is optional) wrap your thumb around the neck.
Last edited by Jimmy94 at Jan 30, 2008,
as a general rule, if it seems like the chord you are trying to play is very hard to finger, there is probably a much easier voicing.
Quote by tom183
Its a Gmadd9.

Is it hurting within your hand because of the stretch or is it simply hurting your fingertip?
If its the latter, all you have to do is keep using that pinky till it develops a callous.

The stretch is not hurting...the soreness is in the little finger tip, which has developed puffiness, and a permanent groove.
This chord is the 2nd measure(and 6th measure, and 10th measure) of Def Leppard's Love Bites, with the E and A strings(G note + D note) struck as 1/8 of the measure, then the A and D strings(D note + A note) struck as 1/8 of the measure, and then the G, B, and E strings((D note + A# note + D note) sustained as the remaining 3/4 of the measure.
Playing single 1/8 notes of G, D, A, and A#, and then sustaining the D note of the B string for the other 3/4 of the measure sounds OK as a compromise, until my fingertip becomes tougher, and also may help as a stretching exercise.
To play the chords, though, I wasn't completely sure which finger to use on the A string, but my middle finger has been the only reasonable choice so far.
Quote by Jimmy94

e|5
B|3
G|3
D|5
A|x
E|3

that's a fairly good substitute for the Gmadd9 you're trying to play. Different voicing, but way easier to play and the exact same chord. To get the low E string (which is optional) wrap your thumb around the neck.

That is a good substitute, and also a chord I didn't know. Thanks.
Quote by tattie69
The chord i struggle with is in This Love - Pantera

|-0-|
|-0-|
|-2-|
|-2-|
|-3-|
|-5-|

A Cyberdine Systems T1000 could play that, after some finger molding.
A T101 might struggle with that one...
Quote by spaceneedlejim
A Cyberdine Systems T1000 could play that, after some finger molding.
A T101 might struggle with that one...

if A T-1000 could play it, hee may have shown it to his son Johnny Cash in walk the line and taught him how to play it, this may be how Dimebag Darrel came about to use it...