i have an esp ltd f-50 and wish to coil split the neck humbucker. problem is, there is no lead for this, how would i create one?

i would like to connect this up to a spst on/off toggle switch
any idea how all this could be done?

equipment is cheap, and i own a soldering gun and solder, and can order the wire and switch for arrival in less than a week.
depends on whether the wire joining the 2 coils is a separate piece of wire, or if it is just the wire of the coil itself.
if it is a separate wire, you can just attatch 2 new leads to that, but it would be hard to do without damaging anything
if the latter is true, it would feasible be possible, but it would involve scraping a layer of lacquer from a very thin piece of wire and it would be very very easy to break it, and very very fiddly to solder.

as for wiring the switch, I think you would need a spdt (on/on, with 3 terminals). because when you turn the split off, you then have to complete the circuit between the 2 coils

when I get home I'll draw some pics to show what I mean
Last edited by Cog at Jan 30, 2008,
this pisses me off, i just took the guitar apart, and i cant get into the pickup because one of the factory screws is stripped...
whats visible of the pickup is the top of the pickup (whats normally visible), the fiber surrounding the two coils, and the metal base with the height adjustment base "flaps".

knowing that, is it possible to tap into the pickup?

and would that switch still be a 2 way?
you need a 4 wire pickup and a spst switch. you wire the bucker up and put the two wires that are connected together to the switch on the middle pin. then one end of the switch (doesnt matter which) goes to earth, then when you flick the switch it dumps half of the signal to ground.

you can rewire your bucker but itll be a pain and may not work. just buy a pickup from irongear for £25 quid with 4 wires already.
Thank you please.
heres a few pics showing how the humbucker might be wired, and how to wire a coil split

the red arrow shows the signal path for a coil spilt, the green arrow shows the direction for a humbucker. the switch is spdt

I should have used 'ground' instead of 'in'
Last edited by Cog at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by deadlydunc
you need a 4 wire pickup and a spst switch. you wire the bucker up and put the two wires that are connected together to the switch on the middle pin. then one end of the switch (doesnt matter which) goes to earth, then when you flick the switch it dumps half of the signal to ground.

you can rewire your bucker but itll be a pain and may not work. just buy a pickup from irongear for £25 quid with 4 wires already.

I dont think that would work properly, just sending half the signal to ground while leaving both coils connected on both sides might cause interference or signal loss

I doubt its possible to find a £25 humbucker that doesnt sound crap unless its a second hand one
i have a few pics kinda showing what i have to work with

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc314/avka0628/misc/IMGA0674.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc314/avka0628/misc/IMGA0676.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc314/avka0628/misc/IMGA0677.jpg

im kinda new to diagram reading, and that looks like it would help me. would it be possible to get a more in depth description of that?

would cutting the fiber around the coils help or damage the guitar if i needed to get in there?

and as a side note, i know its gonna be a pain in the ass, i want the experience. im just searching for the knowlegde.
yes i heard you lol.
i do all my own wiring and such, and am planning on becoming some sort of guitar tech.

just tell me how. if it doesnt work ill buy a new pickup lol
thanx tho
thanx its the exact same thing, down to wire color, that i have. i appreciate it
like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/PACK-8-B-202-SIX-6-TERMINALS-ON-ON-DPDT-Toggle-Switch_W0QQitemZ290012465204QQcmdZViewItem

just wanna get an idea of exactly what i need

also this thought just popped into my head, would it be possible to wire a split where it was a 3 way where one was hum, one was coil 1, and the last was coil 2? just curious
Last edited by avka0628 at Jan 31, 2008,
thanx for all your help, now all i need to do if find some way to get the stripped screw off the back of the pickup and replaced, and the rest is simple (yet tedious)

im curious, forsaknazrael, do you have aim or msn or some quicker way of contact?
heh, makes sense
thanks for all your help

is there some way i can keep in touch? im modding things often lately, and you seem very in-the-know
heh, this was my first thread on my first day having an acc here, how do i add people?
I have no idea what you are talking about
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Well, I just told you. You already have a UG profile. You can access yours by click on "my profile" in the top right corner of the screen.

You can access mine by clicking on my username, or here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/member.php?u=155930

Once you're on my profile, you will see a link to add me to your friends.
im sorry about all the repetition, this comp is screwed up. umm forsaknazrael i still cant seem to find what do to. i searched all through the my profile area. im lost... heh
so where was this other topic with the explination on how to coil tap the esp ltd f-50?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33