I've got a Marshall JCM 900 50w combo, I think it sounds great and I love it but Its sound just really isn't my style.
It didn't matter so much when my band was just playing covers but since we're writing and (hopefully) soon to be recording our own stuff it's starting to become a bit of an issue (personally anyway).

Basically for me it sounds too much like a 'Rock-Era' band sound, I know thats because its a Marshall and that tone and sound is utilized by many many rock bands. But we don't play that sort of music.

Our favourite bands are The Replacements, Joy Division, My bloody Valentine, Pavement. I Guess you would call us more of an 'Indie' sounding band...

So in order to hopefully help with this I've decided I'm gonna start picking up some effect pedals to get more of a unique sound. Obviously you guys can't tell me what that sound is, but I really know nothing about pedals so literally any help would be great i.e. the best of the various different pedals..the sort of sounds they create..just anything along those lines

Ive had a boss DS-1 and the Boss Overdrive pedal, they were OK but once again not really my thing..

Also...
I've been thinking of getting the Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus pedal, but I don't know what they're like overall, but I like the sound

Sorry this is so long, Thanks in advance
I like the sound of my marshal Jackhammer, theyre pretty decent i guess.
(Im selling a Digitech RP50 and a Zoom202 if your interested like )
Nathy
WTF are a Digital Multifx, or jackhammer, or Small clone gonna do to make you sound more Indie?

The best thing to do, certainly, is buy an amp designed more for lower-gain styles, and then boost it when you want more gain.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Yeh ok then Mr Carrot wins
But pedals help in the long run if you cat get a amp required.
Nathy
Quote by MrCarrot
WTF are a Digital Multifx, or jackhammer, or Small clone gonna do to make you sound more Indie?

The best thing to do, certainly, is buy an amp designed more for lower-gain styles, and then boost it when you want more gain.

Where did I say anything about making my sound more indie or more like anything else....???

I said I want it to sound less like the same rock tone that I hear everyday on the radio, and seeing as I know nil about effects pedals I made this thread too see which (if any) will get me clear of that sound...
"I Guess you would call us more of an 'Indie' sounding band."

You draw conclusions, etc.

But the gist I got of it, was you don't want that Marshall tone that so many people used, but you want a more unique tone more suited to your own brand of Indie music.

The JCM900 has a very typical voicing... And unfortunately it won't change, whatever pedal you throw in front of it. You'd be a hell of a lot better off with an amp better suited to that style.

I'm thinking EL84s, 30W....

Have a look at, or try these out in a store or something:

Peavey Classic 30 - great tone, lower gain than the 800, tends towards sounding more like a Vox AC30.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014

Peavey Delta Blues - Same as the C30, except with a big fat 15" speaker and a tremolo function.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Delta-Blues-115-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481016
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
thanks; you got the gist!

Both of those amps look pretty cool have to a look around and see if any stores have got either that I can go play...

Hmmm..........I'd take a good long look at ZVex pedals if I were you.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
^ How is buying a fancy pedal going to solve anything?

Quote by MrCarrot
"I Guess you would call us more of an 'Indie' sounding band."

You draw conclusions, etc.

But the gist I got of it, was you don't want that Marshall tone that so many people used, but you want a more unique tone more suited to your own brand of Indie music.

The JCM900 has a very typical voicing... And unfortunately it won't change, whatever pedal you throw in front of it. You'd be a hell of a lot better off with an amp better suited to that style.

I'm thinking EL84s, 30W....

Have a look at, or try these out in a store or something:

Peavey Classic 30 - great tone, lower gain than the 800, tends towards sounding more like a Vox AC30.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014

Peavey Delta Blues - Same as the C30, except with a big fat 15" speaker and a tremolo function.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Delta-Blues-115-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481016

I agree with your first point but not the amp suggestions. Both are good amps but the C30 doesn't do that indie sound fantastically, IMO.

Are we talking British indie or...self-wallowing-in-pity-and-sorrow American indie?

Also :

Quote by jtyoss
I've got a Marshall JCM 900 50w combo, I think it sounds great and I love it but Its sound just really isn't my style....Basically for me it sounds too much like a 'Rock-Era' band sound, I know thats because its a Marshall and that tone and sound is utilized by many many rock bands. But we don't play that sort of music.

Anyone else notice a discrepancy here?
where are you from as well, US or BRIT?
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by Don_Humpador
^ How is buying a fancy pedal going to solve anything?

They're surprisingly unique sounding and since production numbers are low, they'll continue to be surprisingly unique sounding.

Quote by Don_Humpador
I agree with your first point but not the amp suggestions. Both are good amps but the C30 doesn't do that indie sound fantastically, IMO.

Are we talking British indie or...self-wallowing-in-pity-and-sorrow American indie?

I was unaware that there was a definitive "indie" tone (for either side of the pond). It seems to me that a degree of experimentation with what you have and what you can afford can result in different sounds that work remarkably well given any particular musical situation. You never know, what the man needs might be a different amp, but it's also possible that what the man needs is a new pedal to mess around with.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Sell your JCM (because you didn't do your research on what it sounded like).
Then get another amp. Orange amps are used by every single English 'indie' band and you can't go wrong with a Rocker/rockerverb.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Quote by Kendall
They're surprisingly unique sounding and since production numbers are low, they'll continue to be surprisingly unique sounding.

I was unaware that there was a definitive "indie" tone (for either side of the pond). It seems to me that a degree of experimentation with what you have and what you can afford can result in different sounds that work remarkably well given any particular musical situation. You never know, what the man needs might be a different amp, but it's also possible that what the man needs is a new pedal to mess around with.

I wasn't having a go at you, all I meant was that the Zvex pedals tend to be, as you put it, unique sounding, and I honestly believe the amp is core of the problem.

There is no 'definitive' tone, don't be so pedantic - again, all I meant by that was that I was inquisitive as to what kind of sound he wanted.
^ The Orange sounds like a JCM800 on steroids, and then some, but I agree, most Brit-Indie bands use them, and so a JCM900 should be able to get similar tones (kind of), but TS is saying these arent the tones he wants...im confused.