Hello everyone. MY birthday is coming up and my mom said i can have like 150-200 max and i was hoping to get a bass because i alreaedy play guitar. Im going to by a bass off a friend for 100-150 (ibanez gsr200fm or qm) I was wondering if i could plug into my amp, it is a fender hot rod deville with 4 10 inch speakers....i also have a crap practice amp that is 10 watts and has an 8 inch speaker i think.....could i use either of these? Or do i need to buy an amp....and could i plug in to my stereo?
Quote by nevin021s
Hello everyone. MY birthday is coming up and my mom said i can have like 150-200 max and i was hoping to get a bass because i alreaedy play guitar. Im going to by a bass off a friend for 100-150 (ibanez gsr200fm or qm) I was wondering if i could plug into my amp, it is a fender hot rod deville with 4 10 inch speakers....i also have a crap practice amp that is 10 watts and has an 8 inch speaker i think.....could i use either of these? Or do i need to buy an amp....and could i plug in to my stereo?

I asked this Q before too!

Plug into your practice Amp with no fear.

Beware of any guitar Amps that have any value to you! The frequency produced by Bass is lower and therefore continual use on a speaker cone not designed as such will harm it.
Quote by George Harrison
I can`t put more than 4 notes together in a run
i have that bass (pretty decent) from what i have read it looks like you enjoy collecting guitars and you want to learn how to play most if not all of them. use the practice amp for a little while but then go ahead and get like a 30 watt combo for the bass.
Quote by Greg Harper
Some really nice tones can come from a bass into a guitar amp. TIP: keep the volume low. This will do your amp no harm at all.

If you find the tone of shredded speaker cones really nice, then yeah.

On the flipside, guitars sound fantastic through bass cabs.
I would suggest playing through the practice amp until you can get a cheap bass practice amp. I have the Kustom KBA16 and I'm rather impressed with it as a practice amp.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you find the tone of shredded speaker cones really nice, then yeah.

On the flipside, guitars sound fantastic through bass cabs.

+1.

A cheapo practise amp will cost £50. Don't risk damage to your guitar amps or put up with absolutely foul tone (i.e. no bass).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by anarkee
Doesn't anyone ever read the FAQ or use the search bar?

NO it seems.

Anyway, you have a very nice Fender amp with a pre-amp and speakers designed for guitar. You would be very lucky to get decent tone with that amp when used for Bass, the speakers will not last long played at anything but the lowest level.
Not a good idea.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn