Page 1 of 2
Hey guys I made a deal with a person online on buying my crate vintage club amp. And I was wondering what she meant It's confusing...

-it will arrive by mail in the next couple of days).So the payment should arrive in a short while from now.And once you get it,i guess you know how to handle everything, and please dont bother about any other buyer for the Crate Vintage Club 20 Trade - $250, I have included the pick up agents fee to yours, making it $2500 because i am traveling to today because of my wife who is on business trip and she is about to deliver a baby so i have to go and stay with her and the agent is also helping me get some things for the birthday party and for my wife and new baby, so i will be back very soon.I included the pickup agent fee because he is not in town now and he said he shall be back in the next few days so when you have the check deduct your own fee and have the remaining money sent to him through Western Union Money Transfer that same day immediately after cashing it so that he can come for the pick up.So when you have the check, take it to to your bank and have it cashed immediately so as to fasten the transaction, deduct $70 for your self for the delay and stress ok and for helping me keep the item like i promised earlier. mail me ASAP so as to let me know i can trust you handle this with care and to confirm if the information on the check is correct.Thanks for your trust and understanding in this transaction. and also please send me the map quest to your location.
Sounds a bit iffy, but it might just be someone who puts less effort into structuring their wording. What exactly does this deal involve? What else is going on?
Looking at it again, I realise the potential dangers. If I'm right, they're sending you a cheque for $2500 from which you take your $250 and then send the rest back. Simply put, do not do that. Just don't go ahead with the deal, because as soon as that money is in your account or is associated with your name in any way, you become responsible. It's possible that it could either be stolen or counterfeit, and they're trying to get that money somewhere else to be replaced by real/legal money, thus making it harder to track them.

I can't really see another reason for sending you so much.
Quote by Denthúl
Looking at it again, I realise the potential dangers. If I'm right, they're sending you a cheque for $2500 from which you take your $250 and then send the rest back. Simply put, do not do that. Just don't go ahead with the deal, because as soon as that money is in your account or is associated with your name in any way, you become responsible. It's possible that it could either be stolen or counterfeit, and they're trying to get that money somewhere else to be replaced by real/legal money, thus making it harder to track them.

I can't really see another reason for sending you so much.

But, she sending a check. not money
Quote by Don_Humpador
I assumed $2500 was a typo

Maybe if not holy sh** I would buy freaking shi* loads of pedals. Peavey 212. New pickups for Ibanez. OMG. That would be the most craziest offer ever.
Quote by life_777
But, she sending a check. not money

The same thing can still apply. Sort of. See, it could still be money made through illegal means that they need to get rid of, or they want somewhere else. Think about money laundering - they often pass it through several other individuals or businesses before it is put into the actual person's account.

It's just really dodgy that they're sending so much.
well its kinda to late becuz i think she said she already sending it.. Omg this is one crazy. best offer I ever had in my life..
Could you explain the whole situation in some detail? And is it actually a cheque for $2500 you're being sent, or was it indeed, as Don said, a typo?
Think about it, if he's sent you $2,500 in Cheque form, there's nothing you can do about it now. Take it to your bank and tell them about your situation, say you don't know whether it's fake, illegal or something. Tell them why it got sent to you, for the amp, etc, and if they say it's a fake, they're going to go after the person who sent it, not you.

If the money is real, do the honest thing, take the $250, plus the $70, and send the rest back.

Edit : Hang on, it can't be a typo, can it? If he's telling you to take $250 + $70, sounds as if it really is $2,500.

EDIT 2 : Or, actually, it could be $350..

EDIT 3 : \/ Yes, thank you for actually mentioning that..
Last edited by Don_Humpador at Jan 30, 2008,
That sounds ridiculously dodgy.

"i am traveling to today because of my wife who is on business trip and she is about to deliver a baby so i have to go and stay with her and the agent is also helping me get some things for the birthday party and for my wife and new baby, so i will be back very soon."

And you say it's a woman?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
That sounds ridiculously dodgy.

"i am traveling to today because of my wife who is on business trip and she is about to deliver a baby so i have to go and stay with her and the agent is also helping me get some things for the birthday party and for my wife and new baby, so i will be back very soon."

And you say it's a woman?

Oh yes nice loop hole there. lolz. But still man Don't know about that $2500 offer holy shi*. This got me hanging..
scam! this happens all the time. Take it to your bank and explain the situation, they will be able to go through the process of determining if the check is real, illegal, etc.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Well, you'll either recieve a cheque for $2,500 or you'll receive one for $350. Either way, take it to the bank like I said.

^Psh, steal my glory why don't you
hmm Sounds like it to me. Jesus this offer is crazy if you guys had this offer you would goo crazy.
Quote by life_777
hmm Sounds like it to me. Jesus this offer is crazy if you guys had this offer you would goo crazy.

What's crazy about it? You'll either get $320 or nothing.
Quote by Don_Humpador
Well, you'll either recieve a cheque for $2,500 or you'll receive one for $350. Either way, take it to the bank like I said.

^Psh, steal my glory why don't you

****annoucement****

I agreed with Don_Humpador
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Had this offer. Declined it. Same reasons. Except there was more money involved.

There is absolutely no logical reason to send you so much only to have it sent back, other than the fact that they want to cover their tracks. Don't do it.
Quote by Denthúl
^^ Have you not seen Friends?

I've actually made a point of never watching that show

It's possible it's a gay couple. But, the odds? Goddamn it's gotta be low.

I would just back out of it, it sounds so insanely dodgy, the story is too unconvincing. If they're a serious buyer, explain you'd prefer them to wait 'til you could do it on Paypal or by direct pickup or whatever. But that way? Just no.
LoL. yea i will probably today let my teachers at school help me on it. Becuz I printed it and yea you know proof of conversation and purchase.
Quote by MrCarrot
I've actually made a point of never watching that show

It's possible it's a gay couple. But, the odds? Goddamn it's gotta be low.

But Friends is good. Overplayed, yes, but still good. And there are plenty of gay couples about. Hell, there's one living across the street from me.
Quote by Denthúl
But Friends is good. Overplayed, yes, but still good. And there are plenty of gay couples about. Hell, there's one living across the street from me.

Thats shows dumb...Maybe the person meant to say $320 then..
^^ Well yeah sure, and i'm not being intolerant or anything. But what're the odds of a female gay couple (note female, as more males play the guitar than female - please don't blow this out of proportion), one of which is a guitarist and the other a businesswoman, where the guitarist is getting their own agent to post money to you, and expecting you to have an agent too? It's just stupidly far-fetched.

And/or American.
^

I know. I'm not disputing the fact that this is ridiculously dodgy, so much so that Dodgy Brian looks pretty decent, but it's still possible that she is a she and not a he.
Quote by Denthúl
^

I know. I'm not disputing the fact that this is ridiculously dodgy, so much so that Dodgy Brian looks pretty decent, but it's still possible that she is a she and not a he.

I'm not saying it's not possible. Just ridiculously improbable
IT'S A SCAM!

I just capitalised that so you'd notice.

it's fairly well known, the cheque will be a dud. What happens is it clears initially, you see the money in your account and transfer the money as agreed. The cheque will then bounce AFTER you've done the Western Union transfer and you get stung for whatever you've sent. If you cash a dud cheque then YOU will be held responsible for the money that you withdrew against it.

In other words don't go within 100 miles of this deal, he doesn't want your amp, he probably doesn't even play guitar, he just wants a patsy.

....next week we lift the lid on rip-off psychic phone lines, and also we visit Norwich to expose the gardener who promises the earth, but just leaves you with a load of mud.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
IT'S A SCAM!

I just capitalised that so you'd notice.

it's fairly well known, the cheque will be a dud. What happens is it clears initially, you see the money in your account and transfer the money as agreed. The cheque will then bounce AFTER you've done the Western Union transfer and you get stung for whatever you've sent. If you cash a dud cheque then YOU will be held responsible for the money that you withdrew against it.

In other words don't go within 100 miles of this deal, he doesn't want your amp, he probably doesn't even play guitar, he just wants a patsy.

Jesus christ man...I need to go the bank quickly now. Also she said that she sending it to my address not my bank..but by mail
What I would do is go to the bank with the cheque and explain the situation, they can then investigate it for you. If the cheque turns out to be a dud then they'll trace it back to the source - as long as you don't attempt to deposit or cash the cheque then you should be in the clear.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by JLT73
****annoucement****

I agreed with Don_Humpador

That's better.

Just receive the cheque and take it to the bank and/or police.

^ I hate it when I'm typing something then as soon as I hit 'Post Reply' somebody says what I just did.
oh, and obviously don't send your amp anywhere
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Ok good idea mates. thanks for the help.!!! I will recieve the check and go to nearest bank or go to my friends house cuz his dad is bank manager. So thats a +1.
Hang on, if you've already agreed to sell the amp to him, but the payment fails then he's "technically" stolen the amp. However the amp is still in your possession, but he's attempted to purchase it using misappropriated funds...which means you could be prosecuted for being in possession of stolen goods in the eyes of the law, even though the amp hasn't moved...

...only joking, my evil side just took over for a second there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Hang on, if you've already agreed to sell the amp to him, but the payment fails then he's "technically" stolen the amp. However the amp is still in your possession, but he's attempted to purchase it using misappropriated funds...which means you could be prosecuted for being in possession of stolen goods in the eyes of the law, even though the amp hasn't moved...

Omg are you for real..Amp still my possesion
Quote by steven seagull

and..

Quote by life_777
Omg are you for real..Amp still my possesion
Page 1 of 2