Hey... Is there any possibility to make my amp cleaner at higher volumes? I own a Laney VC-15 and it breaks at 11 o'clock.... it's too soon for me because I don't get a very high volume and I have an overdriven amp so I don't know... if I'd change the tubes it would help? What should I do? Or my amp is just too small and I need more wattage? But I just have bought this amp
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
Roll down the volume on your guitar, swap the preamp tubes for lower-gain ones.
^ could You give me the examples of these lower gain tubes? EHX? I don't know... I'm a noob if We're talking about tube amps because it's my first tube amp and I have it just over a week.
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
12AT7s. Or is it 12AY7s? I forget which is lower gain.

Anyway, yours breaks up at 11 o'clock?! Mine doesn't start until you get to around 7 on the Clean Vol.
Put 12AT7 Tubes in the preamp positions, if using the clean channel you'd want to change V1 and V2. You can also reduce the gain to the power tubes and get even later breakup by putting a 12AT7 in V3.

If you do get 12AT7s, try and get NOS ones. NOS means new old stock - original 70s etc tubes that haven't been used, they are massively superior to modern tubes as a general rule. NOS 12AT7 are very cheap right now, and you can get very good deals on them.

^ I forget which order the below ones are, but I believe 12AT7 are 70% of a 12AX7s gain, 5751 are 80%, 12AU7 are like 50% and 12AY7 are something like 30%?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Oh my ****ing God... I'm a very nooobish person because I don't understand a word in Your anwsers... I don't know English so well but I think it's rather my knowledge's fault.

Anyway, yours breaks up at 11 o'clock?! Mine doesn't start until you get to around 7 on the Clean Vol.

yep... it breaks on 4... even less... maybe it's something wrong with it?
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Last edited by Karol1701 at Jan 30, 2008,
What is it that you don't understand? The valve names/types?

^ Might just be that you have higher output pickups than me?
V1, V2, V3 positions? And I thought that I have to buy the same type of tubes which I had earlier... 12aX7...
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Ahh. V1, 2 and 3 are designations for the pre-amp valve sockets. If you look in your manual for the amp, they are labelled. And it's only power amp valves that you need to buy the same type of (EL84). The pre-amp can have variations of the type of valve that is in there. 12AX,Y and T7s are all part of the same 'family' so they're interchangeable.
ahhhh... now I understand... but I didn't get the manual so is there any manual in the internet? Laney.com should be there, hm? I'll check it out man... thanks
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
You know guys... now I know why it was like that... I used the High Input not the Low one... that's why it was breaking so easy... sorry for my stupid questions but I think I'll buy new tubes anyway. so thanks because I've learnt a lot from You. Thank You very much.
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Does anyone know whether the VC15 is cathode biased? My friend has one, and he wants to change tubes (soon). The manual is kinda unclear on that subject.
I use Hi Input, and on my VC30 right now... It doesn't break up that much 'til about 6.
hmmm... so maybe I'll change the tubes... wait... what does it mean to biase the tubes? I can't find any NOS tubes in stores... do You have a link MrCarrot, MrHankey or Denthul?
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Quote by mr_hankey
Does anyone know whether the VC15 is cathode biased? My friend has one, and he wants to change tubes (soon). The manual is kinda unclear on that subject.
There was a schematic a while back... But it might be, I can't remember. The 30 is, I think (and that's also A/B despite what they say) and I'd assume the 15 is, being the same poweramp but without the extra two tubes...

^ You don't need to worry about biasing if you're changing preamp tubes - preamp tubes are the 12A*7 types.

Umm, I got links to banzai who sell modern tubes, but not any european NOS tube sellers...
Quote by Karol1701
hmmm... so maybe I'll change the tubes... wait... what does it mean to biase the tubes? I can't find any NOS tubes in stores... do You have a link MrCarrot, MrHankey or Denthul?

www.tubeampdoctor.com <- Haven't bought from them.

www.verelec.com <- I recommend this one. He doesn't have as much stuff as the other ones, but he is great to deal with. You can email him for advice as well.

www.tonefactory.nl <- This one is pretty good too. They also have loads of guitar parts and other things.

EDIT:
http://www.tonefactory.nl/shop2/product_info.php?cPath=1_2_184&products_id=1019
These are very good, and cheaper than new tubes, even.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Jan 30, 2008,
Thank You Mr_Hankey for the links and MrCarrot for telling me the thing about biasing.

EDIT: So I should buy 2 or 3 of them (these which You've said that are good and cheap - the last link), right? And They'll be fine for my amp? And I don't have to buy the same tubes for the pre amp section but I have to for power amp, right?
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Last edited by Karol1701 at Jan 30, 2008,
bump!
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
You can get it to stay cleaner by adding a negative feedback circuit to what ever stage of the amplification is getting saturated. Also check out on what the power handling capabilities of the different preamp tubes are and choose those with higher handling. Not just lower gain.
I know almost nothing about tubes/amps so... "adding a negative feedback circuit to what ever stage of the amplification is getting saturated" - I odn't undersatnd that at all...
You think that these tubes, which Hankey gave me aren't good?
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
depends on what stage of the amp is getting overdriven. if the power tubes are getting saturated then there is nothing you can do. if the preamp ones are getting overdriven then u can adjust the circuit to compensate for it or use different tubes, and yeah the lower gain tubes he suggested will help in that case
Quote by 1337void
depends on what stage of the amp is getting overdriven. if the power tubes are getting saturated then there is nothing you can do. if the preamp ones are getting overdriven then u can adjust the circuit to compensate for it or use different tubes, and yeah the lower gain tubes he suggested will help in that case

Less gain from the preamp will pass less gain to the poweramp.

You could get two for the normal channel (V1&V2), and if you want even lower gain, you could also put one in V4, but that will also affect the drive channel.
Quote by mr_hankey
Less gain from the preamp will pass less gain to the poweramp.

You could get two for the normal channel (V1&V2), and if you want even lower gain, you could also put one in V4, but that will also affect the drive channel.

yeh but it wont change the actual signal level at which the poweramp will start to crunch.
so Hankey... should I buy 2 or 3 of them? what do You guys think? I'm talking about these which You linked me
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic