Alright, so i just bought this totally steller Fender Standard jazz bass. But when i played it, a really metalic sound, almost like an acoustic guitar's would have, is produced. also, the third string produces this high frequency overtone as it oscellates. Wher'd i go wrong?
Oh, i spose i should mention that im playing a mexican fender, and not an american.
But still, before this i was playing a peavey milestone II, and the tone was ALOT smoother and warmer than this.
Quote by punkbassist19
Try throwing some new strings on it, or tweaking your amp.

I swaped strings for the mellowest ones i could find, and still i have all the same problems. and as for the amp bit, im talkin about the overall tone Unplugged.
Quote by Dreamer11
I swaped strings for the mellowest ones i could find, and still i have all the same problems. and as for the amp bit, im talkin about the overall tone Unplugged.

Are they still roundwound? They are probably going to be bright for a while, you just have to play them for a few hours a day for a week and they will start to break in. Also, lay off the bridge pup a little bit and blend more towards the neck.

Also, It doesn't really matter what it sounds like unplugged, so don't worry about that at all.

edit* as for the overtone, it might just be the extreme brightness, it might be that your string is hitting a pup or is improperly sitting in the saddle or nut. Hitting a pup is the most likely cause for such a thing, make sure they aren't raised to high heaven.

Are you playing with a pic? If so and you hate a bright tone, then stop it.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Jan 30, 2008,
It probably has something to do with:

The neck and not being properly adjusted?

or

Fret height?

also try the guitar out in an amp. If you don't hear anything out of the amp you might be able to live with the noise when not plugged in.

The Mexican models are known to have a lot of quality control issues, or atleast I would think. This may just need some simple adjustments at your local music shop.