i already made this thread awhile ago, but now i have an [updated] budget and since im actually gonna get it in the nxt few days i just wanna be sure im making the right decision. my total budget for a bass and a practice amp is USD 600 or less. the bass will be for both rock and also skool jazz band kinda stuff, and the amp will only be for practicing at home (the skool already has a rly good bass amp for like performances). so i was thinking...

bass: fender standard P-Bass
amp: crate BT25 combo

oh yea also, dont recommend any starter packages or entry level basses, cuz even though this will be my first bass, i dont plan on upgrading it (i already play guitar, and bass is just for messing around and for skool jazz band).
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
If you've already tried those out and like them, then I say go for it. Even though it's not a starter package and you're primarily a guitarist you might end up upgrading the amp down the road anyway, but I don't see why you shouldn't buy it now.

The P-bass will fit in nicely with most everything, so it's perfect for "messing around." You won't get the stereotypical jazz sound out of it, and won' t get good slap tone, but it should still sound find in a school jazz band situation.

If you haven't sat down and really compared the jazz and the p, then go to a shop and do so for an hour at least, might as well get the one that best suits your style, though IMO you can't go wrong with either.
but how would i be able to compare them for an hour cuz i dont even know how to play bass lol

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
I suggest a used Fender Precision or Jazz Bass and a Crate BT50 combo.

I personally prefer Precisions but for school jazz band a Jazz bass would work well.
bump... thnx miss G

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
I probably say this so much that it seems like I work for them, but check out rondomusic.com as well. You could get a great quality bass and save some money for a better amp. I don't recommend the Crates. I finally played one after thinking about buying one, and it sucked. An Ashdown After Eight is only $130, and imo, it's the perfect quality/value combination for a practice amp.

If you simply must have a brand name bass, you can never ever go wrong with the Fender Jazz bass. But also look at Schecter Stiletto basses. Very eye and ear pleasing.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

ok i'll definitely look into the Ashdown After Eight, thnx. but i cant get a rondomusic bass cuz i live in china

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117