I Have To Do 2 Composed Pieces For My 5th Year Higher Music Course At School, I Live Up In Scotland So I Don't Know What Year That Would Be Classed As Or What Course But Anyway, I Have To Compose 2 Pieces, 2 Minutes In Length Overall I Believe. I Only Need To Worry About 1 Piece Right Now So I Have A Basic Chord Structure But I Have No Idea How To Do Anything Else!

This Is All I Have

| G | D | C | Em D |

I Just Need To Know How Id Go About Writing Like A Little Riff or Something Over The Top, Do I Base It Around The Key? The Chords Or What? Sorry If I Sound Really Stupid haha

I Have A Rough Idea Of It Being An Acoustic Piece With Some Overdriven or Slightly Distorted Guitar Riffs Over The Top. But I Just Have No Idea What To Do! I'm Using Cubase To Record It So I Can Add In Drums etc...

We Also Need To Do A Key Change But Once Again, I Do Not Know How To Do That, I Was Wondering If, Since I'm Recording Could I Just Use A Capo To Change Key?

Please Someone Help!!
interesting...what do you have to write, like a four part harmony? oh wait..I read your post...just a song...well of course, the chord progression and the melody are always based off the key.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
well your riff will have to be in key, try hitting the root notes during the riff of the current chord to make it fit in nicely.
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
Quote by KryptNet
interesting...what do you have to write, like a four part harmony? oh wait..I read your post...just a song...well of course, the chord progression and the melody are always based off the key.

Orite ok il take that into account, it doesn't needs to be a full on rock opera but just summit reasonable. Its really just the melody im stuck with to be honest, and a potential solo, ive never had the physical creativity for that. I can make stuff up in my head but i struggle to put it down on guitar.
Quote by dudeman_andy
well your riff will have to be in key, try hitting the root notes during the riff of the current chord to make it fit in nicely.

For The riff would power chord equivelants of the base chords be good enough, with variation?
I imagine the key change they're after is during the piece that you're playing. I don't think they'll allow you to stop, fit a capo, and continue.
Quote by tattie69
For The riff would power chord equivelants of the base chords be good enough, with variation?

the fantastic thing about power chords is by omitting the third, you're not really defining a key. so actually if you wanna riff with power chords, you can just use your ear and let the melody define the key...but your progression with the Em does hint at a I-V-IV-vi-V in G. Which is a little bit awkward but as long as your teacher doesn't mind rock you're fine.

Quote by Free
I imagine the key change they're after is during the piece that you're playing. I don't think they'll allow you to stop, fit a capo, and continue.

You can DEFINITELY modulate without a capo.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
the fantastic thing about power chords is by omitting the third, you're not really defining a key. so actually if you wanna riff with power chords, you can just use your ear and let the melody define the key...but your progression with the Em does hint at a I-V-IV-vi-V in G. Which is a little bit awkward but as long as your teacher doesn't mind rock you're fine.

You can DEFINITELY modulate without a capo.

The thing is it doesnt need to be real time, i can record and stop because we dont have to play it to the teacher, just aslong as thers A song that he can listen to. thats how i am gonna put the riff and melody over the top. So i was wondering since i have no idea how to play any chords other than the basic 3 note chords would a capo work for the key change?

also its not going to be rock rock but more classic rock, 60s & 70's esque haha. maybe a bit more brittish than american. my teachers quite a beatles fan so i was thinking of something around that sorta idea, or the who, nothing dragonforce hahaha
Ive actually only just noticed now that theres a Music Talk Section that covers composition stuff!

Can someone move this thread please?