Page 1 of 2
Have you?

I hereby vow to never ever again set foot in that ****ing shltthole.

Bought a pod xt last night. Get it home? It's fikking used. Scratches on the display. This is the 3rd time this has happened with GC. SELLING USED SH*T as NEW.

I called the manager. Like they care.

"Because of our exchange/return policy sometimes things slip through the crack"

UH HA.

At least I never buy their USED guitars.

See a guitar you like? LOFL. Ask for a new one in a box / case.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

They are deceptive and no better than any credit card company.

F GC
word, people who work their dont know their heads from their asses, i hate when i ask them questions and get back puzzled looks. thats my most hated aspect of that place.
not everyone is like that, but most, and especially accessories
What they do is no different than any retail outlet. If you look at their exchange policy. If the box is open they charge a 15% restocking fee or something similar. Do you expect them to sell it for a used price when they had to give the person back retail less 15%?

EB re-shrinks games, clothing stores re-rack clothes, and superstores like walmart... well they restock everything.

If the box was open, which it had to have evidence of if the thing was scratched, you should have inspected it at the store.
Same thing happened with me and my Line 6 Spider II amp. I ended up getting a display model that every once in a while creates a high pitched crescendo into the screeching "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" sound that won't go away until you beat the living **** out of the amp.
Quote by ThornsOfHeaven
Same thing happened with me and my Line 6 Spider II amp. I ended up getting a display model that every once in a while creates a high pitched crescendo into the screeching "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" sound that won't go away until you beat the living **** out of the amp.

To be fair that could just be the amp.
dude i bought a f***ing Ibanez RG from Guitar Center and changed the strings on it, which being a noob concerning free bridges at the time was a bad idea anyways, then took it back the next day only for them to tell me it costs $50 to have it restringed. I never had had a guitar taken into shop before so i didnt know that that price was outragious and they took advantage of me. F GC!!!
Ibanez RGT42DX
-D'Addario .09-.42
Washburn X10
-Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottem
Cort 5 String Bass

Kustom Arrow 160FX
Electro-Harmonix-Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Digitech-Grunge

Once again... They didn't take advantage of you. Your own inexperience took advantage of you. Once that Floyd is out of whack, which it was after you screwed with it, they need to perform a complete setup. $50 is actually pretty cheap for a setup, the local guitar shops charge $65.
Deception - is the act of convincing another to believe information that is not true, or not the whole truth as in certain types of half-truths

1 Month ago I bought a Crate RFX 65 (spare me the Crate sucks comments, I know, it's a bedroom amp)

So I say, ok I want this, give me a new one in a box. NOPE. Out of stock. So the thing is beat. Tolex riffed on the sides. Ok, take some money off this, it's used. NOPE

So they tell me and they put this on the receipt "we'll give you a new one when they come in"

Well guess what? I've been calling every week for a month. No new ones. Come to find out, this isn't even manafactured by Crate anymore. It's been replaced by VTX65B.

I call Crate to confirm. Yep, GC will be getting no more shipments of RFX-65

Again. Last time I go to GC. I had the guy open the box to inspect for damage. I did not open the power cord box. I was in a rush too. I did not notice the fingerprints and boogers on the display as well as the fine scuffing on the display. HAD AGAIN. HAD IT. NO MORE. From now on it's sweetwater.com.

I would never in my life ever consider buying an instrument from them. I know, I'm the idiot, I went there. Again.

But I suppose online is no different. However, selling something at a new price and telling me it's new, when in fact it's used is DECEPTION. PERIOD.
Bought a pod xt last night. Get it home? It's fikking used. Scratches on the display. This is the 3rd time this has happened with GC. SELLING USED SH*T as NEW.

I called the manager. Like they care.

"Because of our exchange/return policy sometimes things slip through the crack"

Unless you've ever had to manage at a retail store I suggest you chill the **** out.

When someone returns a new item, unless it's defective the store still needs to be able to sell it and turn a profit. If they don't corporate will get on thier asses about dragging numbers. While I was in college I worked part-time as an assistant manager in a shoe store and we were pressured by corporate to put returns out on the floor as new that were clearly worn before.

When I worked at gamestop we'd get people return games all the time after 2 or 3 days. If the disc was clean we'd re-wrap it and put it back on the shelf. Some peoples definition of a clean disc was different then others, same thing happens at GC.

word, people who work their dont know their heads from their asses

When I worked at gamestop we'd have people come in asking us the most obscure questions about import games and older games and then scoff when we had no idea what they were talking about. Then those people love to go on messageboards and bitch and moan about how stupid the people who work there are.

In short: someone working customer service in a huge retail chain is not going to be a 25-year expert and expecting them to know everything about thier paticular industry is stupid.

Personally, I've really had nothing but good experiences in both Guitar Center and Daddy's Junky Music aside from a couple pushy salesmen here and there.

dude i bought a f***ing Ibanez RG from Guitar Center and changed the strings on it, which being a noob concerning free bridges at the time was a bad idea anyways, then took it back the next day only for them to tell me it costs $50 to have it restringed. I never had had a guitar taken into shop before so i didnt know that that price was outragious and they took advantage of me.

Wait, wait. So YOU ****ed up you're own guitar.... and then got upset when they made you pay to fix it? rofl. I'm sure you went in there with a great attitude too because I had exactly the opposite experience.

I got an RG270 off a friend of mine for nothing (it was semi-busted and he didn't want it anymore.) Friend of mine re-soddered the input for me but niether of us knew how to string it. I went down to GC, told them I had no idea how to string/set it up and one of the guys there said no problem. Grabbed me a set of string and showed me how to do it right there and only charged me for the strings.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Last edited by gald at Jan 30, 2008,
Again, selling something as NEW when in fact it is USED is deception. I will not chill out. Bubb
I'm in Canada so no guitar center but what drives me crazy with my local store is that I've called them several times to ask if they have things in stock so that I'm not wasting my time only to go to the store and have them tell me "Ohh sorry, the computer is wrong"
Quote by knuckleslammer
Again, selling something as NEW when in fact it is USED is deception. I will not chill out. Bubb

Welcome to the real world?

I don't know what to tell you. You're focusing all this rage on a company who is no different than any other major corporation. Any company is going to do everything they can to turn a profit, it's the way the world works. Learn to be a savvy consumer and you won't run into these problems.

I can't imagine buying something without notice "fingerprints and boogers" on it.

Besides, the guy working the floor probably had no idea Crate was discontinuing the amp and that they wouldn't be getting anymore of them.
Stop whinging. If it had happened to you twice before, it was your own fault to make the mistake of going into GC the 3rd time. Just take it back, with the receipt, and get your money back.
Quote by gald
Besides, the guy working the floor probably had no idea Crate was discontinuing the amp and that they wouldn't be getting anymore of them.

Not only that. But if you walk in there with receipt and amp in hand and ask to speak to the store manager. If you aren't an asshat, and explain the situation, I'm sure he'd gladly exchange it for something else.

It all has to do with your attitude. If you are a pleasure to deal with, you get things in life. If you aren't, well, you get the **** end.
Quote by eXperiment63
Not only that. But if you walk in there with receipt and amp in hand and ask to speak to the store manager. If you aren't an asshat, and explain the situation, I'm sure he'd gladly exchange it for something else.

It all has to do with your attitude. If you are a pleasure to deal with, you get things in life. If you aren't, well, you get the **** end.

We have a winnar.

I feel this thread is in need of some Violent Acres.

I'd suggest reading the whole thing, but the important part is this:

The phrase ‘The Customer is Always Right’ is the single worst philosophy that has ever been adopted by American culture. It gave an entire generation of people the green light to be as impolite, unreasonable, and demanding as their little hearts desired because they were always going to be considered right. It destroyed the entire concept of courtesy and rendered manners obsolete. People began to treat their peers in the service industry like incompetent morons, lacking in feelings or human dignity, who deserved to be browbeaten and abused for no other reason than they had the audacity to run out of a particular brand of coffee. Furthermore, instead of suffering negative repercussions for their appallingly disrespectful behavior, they are awarded with free coupons and plenty of ass kissing. In reality, they should be shunned and humiliated for behaving like such self absorbed little children.
i'd be glad if there was some kind of GC 'round here goddammit ! i have to drive more than 200 kilometers most of the time to try something out ffs !
stop complaining and be glad you have the friggin' chance to try stuff out extensively without having to drive for a rediculous amount of time...
Guys, you aren't telling me anything new. I don't flip out. All my friends told me to paint my face green like in my avatar and go in there and pull a nuttie.

As for the boogers, that's an exaggeration, LOL. I did speak to the manager in a polite manner. Nothing came of it other than me getting a new pod, which is reasonable. I just fail to understand how these guys can sell something as NEW. Does nobody understand that? Slipped through the cracks he says to me. What am I a f****ng idiot? I know what they do. And like a desperate fool, I was had again, but for the last time.

If I spend my GOD DAMMED HARD EARNED money on something NEW, I want NEW. Simple concept ha?
What am I a f****ng idiot?

I know what they do. And like a desperate fool, I was had again, but for the last time.

Sounds like you answered your own question. Tee hee.
Last edited by gald at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by knuckleslammer
I just fail to understand how these guys can sell something as NEW. Does nobody understand that? Slipped through the cracks he says to me. What am I a f****ng idiot? I know what they do. And like a desperate fool, I was had again, but for the last time.

If I spend my GOD DAMMED HARD EARNED money on something NEW, I want NEW. Simple concept ha?

We know. But that is the real world, deal with it because the world is not going to change.

I don't know if you've ever worked retail, but let me tell you, its horrible. I hate most people because they are just pricks and they try to tell me how to do my job, I think I know how to do it by now.

GC is a business, simple as that. And a business' primary goal is to make money, and thats what they do. You don't like it, go somewhere else, they are not going to change for you(or any other customer).
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
It depends on the GC. I have read horror stories about GC. The one I go to is excellent. I can bargain with them, they give me deals, their staff is knowledgeable and the manager is cool. They broke one of my guitars when they repaired it. The offered to fix it, I said no thanks, how about a new one. They said ok. Granted that's what they should do, but no one in retail does the right thing anymore. But selling something that is used as New is a crock. I would be angry as well.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by gald

I'd suggest reading the whole thing, but the important part is this:

The phrase ‘The Customer is Always Right’ is the single worst philosophy that has ever been adopted by American culture. It gave an entire generation of people the green light to be as impolite, unreasonable, and demanding as their little hearts desired because they were always going to be considered right. It destroyed the entire concept of courtesy and rendered manners obsolete. People began to treat their peers in the service industry like incompetent morons, lacking in feelings or human dignity, who deserved to be browbeaten and abused for no other reason than they had the audacity to run out of a particular brand of coffee. Furthermore, instead of suffering negative repercussions for their appallingly disrespectful behavior, they are awarded with free coupons and plenty of ass kissing. In reality, they should be shunned and humiliated for behaving like such self absorbed little children.

Gah... Don't mention "The customer is always right..." Whoever came up with that needs to be shot... I work as a waiter and the amount of **** that the customers give the staff unbelievable...

Once, a man ordered fish cakes, when it came out, he said "**** you, i hate fish..." and stormed out...

On topic: Did you look at it before you bought it?
Yeah, the guy was behind the counter and somewhat reluctant to hand it over. I mainly wanted to see that everything was in the box. It did not cross my mind that the fukking thing might have been used. They'll offer me a new one, but I have to drive the fukk back there. I have limited time to play as it is. Now I have to waste 2 hours just to get what I fukking intended to get to begin with a new FUKKING POD.

Hey, I'm far from an asssshole when it comes to people. I give waiters big fukkking tips. I regularly give $20 tips for a $30 dinner. However as a waiter, or as a customer service rep, you get what you assume you will get. You assume customers are asssholes, then that's what you get.

I'm not an assshole. I'm a hard working fukkk just like the rest of you and when I expect something to be new, don't fukk with me or I'll fukkking steam roller you the fukkk right over. THAT'S WHY I'M SO ANGRY.

I'll have to cop out on this thread now. Getting too angry and that's not where I want to be. I just want people to recognize these shady fukkks for who they are. Artists of Deception.

FUKK YOU GC
Last edited by knuckleslammer at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by knuckleslammer
Yeah, the guy was behind the counter and somewhat reluctant to hand it over. I mainly wanted to see that everything was in the box. It did not cross my mind that the fukking thing might have been used. They'll offer me a new one, but I have to drive the fukk back there. I have limited time to play as it is. Now I have to waste 2 hours just to get what I fukking intended to get to begin with a new FUKKING POD.

Okay, so YOU should have checked. And if they're offering a replacement, i see no problem...
Quote by knuckleslammer

rofl. So you claimed to have been burned by them before, you wanted to check to see "if everything was there" but it didn't cross your midn it was used? What, did you think the factory left stuff out? What other reason would you want to look at it if you didn't think it might be used?

Your story is full of holes and you're trying to put the blame on GC when you had every opportunity to look at the product and determine whether or not is was new. Stop blaming the store for your own mistakes.

I'm not an assshole. I'm a hard working fukkk just like the rest of you and when I expect something to be new, don't fukk with me or I'll fukkking steam roller you the fukkk right over. THAT'S WHY I'M SO ANGRY.

STEAM ROLLER YOU OVER. I'm sure you have GC shaking in thier boots. Also, probably not a good idea to purposely avoid the profanity filter repeatedly, it'd there for a reason.

I'll have to cop out on this thread now. Getting too angry and that's not where I want to be. I just want people to recognize these shady fukkks for who they are. Artists of Deception.

FUKK YOU GC

I think the only thing people in this thread are realizing is that you're not the brightest bulb.
Quote by knuckleslammer

Hey, I'm far from an asssshole when it comes to people. I give waiters big fukkking tips. I regularly give $20 tips for a $30 dinner. However as a waiter, or as a customer service rep, you get what you assume you will get. You assume customers are asssholes, then that's what you get.

FUKK YOU GC

Uhm, no-one said you were an asshole, did they?
I must say your freaking out a lot. It's kinda funny to read actually.
If your gonna express your anger for something like Guitar Center dont be stupid about it, try to put up a good argument without all the FUKK's.

On the other hand, the music teacher at my school was put in prison for having sex with a student and now he works at guitar center
I know what, why don't you vent your anger at Guitar Center rather than at UG?

That way, if you tell a member of staff to, er, eff off, they'll ban you from the store, and the temptation to go back at any point will be removed!

Oh, and I have a mind to report you if you continue swearing at this rate.
that's just one of the things about GC, because they have such a "try it before you buy it" manner you have to assume that whatever you buy was already abused by every 14 year noob that set foot in the store. i think it's hilarious that you're making such a fuss when, to be honest, you didn't spend a large amount to begin with. if this had been an issue with a $2000 guitar then it'd be a different story

it does bug me however, when im looking at a guitar with a trem and the damn thing is horribly out of tune due to adolescent wankage; but that's just the way it is
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Hmm....my GC kicks ass.
I've never had a problem with buying gear.
I guess it's a shot in the dark with them, you either live near a good one or bad one.
Quote by natel0083
Hmm....my GC kicks ass.
I guess it's a shot in the dark with them, you either live near a good one or bad one.

+1.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by natel0083
Hmm....my GC kicks ass.

I shop at 3 different ones: Boston, MA and the Nahsua/Manchester, NH ones.

Never had a single problem with any of them.
Every GC transaction I've ever had was excellent except for one, and the manager ended up giving me a discount and a couple of packs of strings for the hassle.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
My GC is great. What you gotta understand is its a Big Box retail. no different than any other like best buy or circuit city or anything like that. You gotta know what to look for. You want something new ask for it and then inspect it when they hand it to you BEFORE you walk out the door. You have the right. also ask to play it. not every guitar is built the same some have descrepencies in parts like the nut or the neck or other things like that. If you really cared about what you were buying you would find something you liked, ask for it new, then play it for a long time trying to figure out if it s exactly what you want. I went in the gc cuz i knew i could haggle the price down which is why i go there. I do all my research before hand and then go in and try it after i narrow down what i want. I bought a tube amp for christmas and i had to choose between 3 different ones cuz i couldnt figure it out. I went in to GC, looked and tried all three. narrowed it down to 1 and got the guy to take 100 bucks off the tag and got a $600 amp for $500. And he gave me a new one in the box and i asked to take it out and look at it and see if it sounded the same as the model and he let me and i thought it sounded better. so maybe you just have to learn how to deal with people. In the end you have all the control. its your money. Be smart.
ok, you guys are all right, I'm wrong, feel better? It's ok for a retailer to sell USED stuff as NEW.
hmm, same with samash. I was trading one of my Fender amps for a marshall and they gave me a USED marshall which was $50 more. They wanted me to pay the extra $50 AND it didnt come with a box. Later on I told them I wanted a "new amp" not used that actually came with a box. grr
Quote by guitarded420
word, people who work their dont know their heads from their asses, i hate when i ask them questions and get back puzzled looks. thats my most hated aspect of that place.
not everyone is like that, but most, and especially accessories

+1
Quote by knuckleslammer
ok, you guys are all right, I'm wrong, feel better? It's ok for a retailer to sell USED stuff as NEW.

we're not all saying its right to do that but as a customer one should inspect your product before taking it home. Especially from a store that takes in used gear all the time and that allows you to "try before you buy." the elevators don't always go to the top floor for some GC employees, so to avoid future problems check it out first. thats all.
Quote by knuckleslammer

It is not okay. They should have never done this. I understand your right to vent, but this is the wrong forum for it. Save your energy and use it on GC. And, don't shop there anymore. Problem solved.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
I think it does raise an interesting point about having a big box music store instead of more intimate small owner ones. Granted, my experience with small town shops has always been much worse than major retailors, trying to charge list price instead of street, being condescending, and pulling the same type of schenanigans that GC was pulling here.

If they do charge a 15% restock fee, I don't see why they wouldn't sell it used at a 10% discount. I mean it doesn't really cost 15% of even a cheap guitar to restock it.
Page 1 of 2