I'm looking into getting an Epiphone valve standard - but where i live is really truly crap for amplifiers, so i really can't try it out in a shop...

I've tried a valve junior once and i really liked it but i need an amp for gigging - is the Valve standard loud enough, and how does it sound in comparison to the valve junior?

My budget on an amp is no more than £225 sadly... and it must be valve/tube.

Edit - Other info i missed: I play a variety of different styles, mainly punk, classic and alternative rock, grunge, blues.. basically medium gain stuff, i can always get an OD if it doesn't have enough drive.

Also, is the Grainger valve 15 any different in quality and tone? i'm guessing from the price, its exactly the same...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jan 30, 2008,
VC15 > Those Epis...

Well IMO anyway.

The Valve Standard sounds similar, but a lot less ratty OD'd. You get the ton of low mids, big bass, upper mids and general tonality in common with the VJ. But it's not that balanced a tone, and the DSP (if this is the model i'm thinking of) suck tone.

VC15 sounds like a Vox, basically. Voxy OD, Voxy cleans - tighter bass than the VS, chimier, more versatile.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
VC15 > Those Epis...

Well IMO anyway.

The Valve Standard sounds similar, but a lot less ratty OD'd. You get the ton of low mids, big bass, upper mids and general tonality in common with the VJ. But it's not that balanced a tone, and the DSP (if this is the model i'm thinking of) suck tone.

VC15 sounds like a Vox, basically. Voxy OD, Voxy cleans - tighter bass than the VS, chimier, more versatile.

does the VC15 have enough clean headroom to stay clean at gigging volumes? I need cleans. well, it shouldn't matter too much if they are slightly gritty cleans, but i suspect the VC15 of not being loud enough for some reason - i have played one and it was very nice sounding though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

^ yeah, but even then any 15w tube probably wouldn't handle cleans at gig volumes...

If you want that clean tone for gigs more than anything else though, maybe a used fender Blues Deluxe like...wotsisname is doing, they average about £250 and at 40w clean would be perfect...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well yeah, for sure. But it does stay cleaner up the knob than a Valve Standard.

You could also bump up to a VC30, which run about 300 quid. A little under.

I could negociate money but i owe parents a lot. i actually have about £400 still i could try to find a used VC30.