Poll Options
View poll results: Which is better?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
19 16%
American Fender Stratocaster
103 84%
Voters: 122.
Page 1 of 2
The USA Strat will be FAR better built, if the two in question are a Standard US and a Epi Standard. It will play a hell of a lot better, have better hardware and pickups, and be a totally better guitar.

Your friend is an arse.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
As far as construction and material quality?
Generally the American Strats are held in higher regard... they're built domestically.

As far as my opinion goes?
Epiphone all the way.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Fender.
^^^^True words of wisdom spoken from a genius

Gear:
Stagg Flying V
Roland Microcube
Some **** acoustic
And some random Fender straP. With a P, not T
of course an american strat will be better, its 3 times the price
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Thats like comparing a Marshall MG with a Marshall JCM800, its obvious that in this case the fender winds hands-down (not including personal tastes on the guitar shape itself) it will be of much higher quality wood and craftsmanship. If you where to compare a gibson LP to an American strat, then it would be more of a competition.

Is your friend thinking of a MIM strat compared to the epi? because in that case it depends on personal taste.
Looks: Epiphone.
Parts/build quality: Fender.
Sound: Depends what you're in to.
404: Sig not found.
^ I'd still say the fender wopuld dominate in terms of sound quality, as the Epi stock buckers are horrible, wheras the USA Std Singles are fairly respectable.

And looks is a subjective category IMO.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
of course an american strat will be better, its 3 times the price

because price is the ultimate indicator of quality...
in rebuttal, ladies and gentlemen, i give you the Dean Vendetta, better than guitars 3 times it's price.

but seriously, the Fender will be better cuz it's American made.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Strats all the way, better looking, more fun, better sound.
just better.
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
i voted fender.

was your friend talking about the elitist series by any chance?
if so, then he might be right.
I would say Fenders are much better in terms of sound, looks and build; simply because Fender have been making guitars for a hell of a lot longer than Epiphone and have a lot more experience in making guitars than Epiphone. Oh, and I also happen to own a strat myself.
If the question is 'Which one is built better?' Then the Strat wins hands down.

If the question is 'Which is better in tone or playability etc' Then the answer is the hands of the beholder.

It's like asking people what flavour ice cream is best.

(its chocolate btw, in case you were wondering)
epis are cheaper and look better than strats
but from what i've heard the strat seems like the best guitar.
unless your getting a cheap rip off one
Change yo' damn topic title if its now a Gibson not an epi, that makes it entirely an opinion thing and what genres the user wants to play.
"I would say Fenders are much better in terms of sound, looks and build; simply because Fender have been making guitars for a hell of a lot longer than Epiphone and have a lot more experience in making guitars than Epiphone."

wot a dick. do your research first. epiphones are made by gibson so i think they actually have **** loads of expereince. u jackass
Quote by grungee123
I would say Fenders are much better in terms of sound, looks and build; simply because Fender have been making guitars for a hell of a lot longer than Epiphone and have a lot more experience in making guitars than Epiphone. Oh, and I also happen to own a strat myself.

Wrong-o!

Epiphone has been around since the 1800's, but the Strat will destroy it.
Yeah, I am going to have to go with the Epi... feels nicer... has a meatier toner... looks nice... i hate strats... i just hate strats god damit!
Quote by Rankles
You have to be thirteen to use this website.

Quote by Stentroll
That's because, secretly, everyone here except the mods are 11 years old.

Quote by nosushi4you
Yeah, the mods are actually 10

Just kidding, please don't ban me
Quote by MrCarrot
The USA Strat will be FAR better built, if the two in question are a Standard US and a Epi Standard. It will play a hell of a lot better, have better hardware and pickups, and be a totally better guitar.

Your friend is an arse.

+1

they are completely different guitars... if you're a LP guy, you may prefer the epi, for example, but the fender strat is the better guitar when you take subjectivity out of it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Random3
oh also can i ask, are epiphone lps made from exaclty the same materials as gibson lps, but with different tuning pegs and pickups, because i cant believe that pegs and pickups make the guitar 4 times the price

i doubt epis are using south american mahogany etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I voted the strat because it is made in America. I voted on which is better quality, but I like the LP sound better.
Hello
Quote by Random3
oh also can i ask, are epiphone lps made from exaclty the same materials as gibson lps, but with different tuning pegs and pickups, because i cant believe that pegs and pickups make the guitar 4 times the price
Different wood, hardware, finishes, lots.
The Fender will be built much better. I own an American strat and an Epiphone LP. The strat is built far better.

That is not to say the tone will be better, since tone is subjective and strat and LP are at completely opposite ends of the tonal spectrum.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Quote by Random3

yeah but there are different kinds and qualities of mahogany.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
stupid, stupid question!!! theres so many of these!! which is better a strat, or a les paul? ugh!!! they are so totaly different guitars (even the epiphone version). its completely down to personal taste!!
Quote by grungee123

the fender is better in this case.
however i must say, epiphone is alot older than fender. alot.
epiphone has much more experience.
epiphone used to be the most respected guitars in the world. The early 50s changed that.
even into the 60's, guys like john lennon were using epiphones.
If it was a Epi Elitist the story will be different. Those guitar are at Gibson rank.
Quote by hminh87
If it was a Epi Elitist the story will be different. Those guitar are at Gibson rank.

For sure.

Another more reasonable comparison would be an Epiphone LP Standard vs a Mexi Strat.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Page 1 of 2