I'm looking to buy a new electric so I can upgrade from the cheap strat I've been playing the past few years. I've been in quite a few shops playing all different guitars, and after borrowing my friend's american HSS for a few weeks I'm absolutely sold.

My question is, will guitar shops (smaller ones, not Guitar Center) haggle? I bought my godin acoustic from a local shop last year (same shop I'll probably go back to) and didn't even think to see if I could work it down. I don't know what retail stores get their guitars for, but I'm pretty certain it's considerably less than both list and retail. If I were to offer 200-300 off the retail price in hard cash, would they would go for it?

Anyone with some experience want to enlighten me?

*edit* Yeah, I figured the 200-300 was a bit too optimistic, I said so below :-p
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Last edited by apollo66 at Jan 30, 2008,
If they are not a chain then perhaps. But from experience most will just say ''Thats the price, take it or leave it''.
If they won't move on the price, try to get them to throw in free stuff like a case, strap, strings etc, just be hardfaced.
i've found that if you explain you've found it for a cheaper price online they'll either match that or beat it. I got £73 off my latest strat.
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
Yeah, maybe my 200-300 range is a little bit too optimistic, what's a realistic lowball point to start at?

I'm looking at ~ $1,200 retail

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Ask for it for $1,000 with some extras(Few packs of strings, cables, cleaning kit). Be sure to have the $1,000 in hand as you offer it.

$200 isn't too much to ask for on that price. You likely won't receive it, but it IS a good starting point.
Yes.

I bought a Spider Valve yesterday. It was marked down as £500 and I got it for £400. I also got a free cable worth £8, a set of ernie balls (9-42) and a few free picks. Its all about being confident
Quote by Chinfrim
Sadly we have not shotguns and go around saying "Get Out of Mah Propertay!!"
Haggling is half the fun
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
I have no problem being confident :-p

I went to buy a car a few months ago at a dealership (icky) with the down payment in cash. They saw a stupid college kid, their mistake. The salesman was great, but when I got to the finance guy it all went downhill. I told him not to even bother me with the simonize, lojack, extended warranty, etc. yet he continued on. I stopped him once and told him just to give me the paperwork, just gave me a wierd look and kept going. I then got up and walked out.

It was fun!

Anyyyyyywho, $1000 was what I was thinking of starting at. Gotta wait for tax returns anyway, but I thought I'd ask somewhere with people who have gone through this before.

Thanks for the help so far, and any more suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
I tend to say how much I have to spend.

Like I saw the Valve was 500 so I said, Im looking to buy an amp wort around 300-400 quid and its got to be decent! Showing me round i said what about that Valve? I have seen them in the shop over the road selling for 450, but sadly thats just out of my price range. Is there any chance you could do it for 400?

When they say yes (lol) and before you buy just say could you throw in some - enter here what you want free-

Works everytime . Commission, its all about commission
Quote by Chinfrim
Sadly we have not shotguns and go around saying "Get Out of Mah Propertay!!"
First things first. Talk to a manager.

Then if you don't get the price that you want then possessing the will power to walk away is key.

don't feedthepig
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
Oh, another thing, they would probably have to order it (I didn't see one at the shop last time I was in).

Would that affect anything?

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
If they have to order it, I wouldnt think they would be as willing to work with you on a price.

I would for sure check out musiciansfriend and other sites and see what you can find, I know if I was a guitar salesman I would sell a guitar for a little off the price if I knew they could get it elsewhere for cheaper. Personally, I would just ask for some extra stuff like a hard case, some cables, whatever.

The thing that pisses me off about commission is that I go to GC trying to figure out what I want, instantly get hounded by all 12 of the salesmen, and none of them are interested in answering questions. I'm not one to blindly jump into anything, I want to know as much as I possibly can on the topic before I make any sort of decision or spend any money. On that same token, if theres a guy that is polite and answers my questions, I write his name down and make sure to buy something from him when I am ready. I know theres one asshole that wont get a dime of commission from me, even if he helps on the day of sale.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Heres the secret to most small shops. It all depends on how long its been on the floor. If they just got a guitar in then they wont haggle but if the guitar has been sitting there for a month or so they want to get it out the door because its not selling. This works with cars, houses or any product really. So find out how long its been out on the floor and work your game from there.
If the person is the store owner than maybe. It really depends on how much mark up they have. I mean some of the budget stuff isn't going to be discounted much. Maybe ten percent at best. Play the "budget" game - that sometimes works. Or ask if you can get a discount for buying two items. Or else ask if they will match "internet prices." Time of day works well - go when the place is empty. First thing Monday is good. You can get plenty of bargains in the second hand market - broke musicians and dabblers who have found the thing didn't play itself are to be found anywhere.
Stop showing off and play the music!
Quote by apollo66
...If I were to offer 200-300 off the retail price in hard cash, would they would go for it?
Buying in cash you can usually haggle a little (Not in the amounts your talking about), but in my experience, most stores will be more inclined to offer you additional items at no cost (Usually tuners, a case perhaps).
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by MrSandMan
Haggling is half the fun

+1 and the worst they can do is say no. what did you lose?
Thank you please.
I've haggled a little store near mine a few times a year or so ago. It was the shop owner, and he gave me £5 off a £25 pedal when I forgot some money, and also threw in some new strings and picks with my Les Paul.
GC people work on comission so I think you can normally get them to give you 10-15% off. At least on big ticket items. I have never tried on small things.
Hmmm, maybe I will put guitar center on my list to try as well

Thanks all. As always, more comments are always appreciated!

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
I took a 20% coupon I got from Musician Friends to my local shop and they honored it. I'm getting an EHX POG for $240. They're even put it on my board for me too!
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
Used Stores will yes, stores that deal in new very rarely will because the margins are so small on some items

There are lines that our store losses money on on a regular basis because we have to keep up with the big boys in town and match their pricing. Line 6 we make less than 5% on, and Yamaha also isn't profitable in any way because of their method of telling everyone to sell it for price X, even though it's been bought for price Y and the shipping etc makes it almost as much as price X anyways!!!

We get irritated when people always say "that guitar isn't new, I was here last week and tried it therefore it's used, knock off the taxes and $100 and I'll take it" "sorry we can't, we'll match anyone else's prices" "oh, well musiciansfriend has it for (insert stupidly retarded price here for a blem/surplus model)" "then by all means buy it there, it's a good deal just keep in mind the border will ream you with taxes and duty charges for something like that"

They generally either give up and leave or they will just buy it and joke "can't blame a guy for trying for something better pricewise eh? hahaha" we tend to just smile and nod and hope they don't come back often since everytime it's a "what's the best price you can do for me?" situation. Retail sure sucks sometimes
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Quote by apollo66
I'm looking to buy a new electric so I can upgrade from the cheap strat I've been playing the past few years. I've been in quite a few shops playing all different guitars, and after borrowing my friend's american HSS for a few weeks I'm absolutely sold.

My question is, will guitar shops (smaller ones, not Guitar Center) haggle? I bought my godin acoustic from a local shop last year (same shop I'll probably go back to) and didn't even think to see if I could work it down. I don't know what retail stores get their guitars for, but I'm pretty certain it's considerably less than both list and retail. If I were to offer 200-300 off the retail price in hard cash, would they would go for it?

Anyone with some experience want to enlighten me?

*edit* Yeah, I figured the 200-300 was a bit too optimistic, I said so below :-p

BTW the "hard cash" option is garbage these days. the debit/credit card % is so low or a flat rate that it doesn't really matter anymore. Also, the cash no longer makes it any easier because even for sales purposes, if they say took your cash and just kept it off the books (which is the assumption of most cash barterers), well the guitar they sold you is still on the books, and therefore there needs to be money receieved for it if it's no longer in inventory for taxes/legal business practices.

People who come in knowing a guitar they want costs $450 should not come with "I've got $375 in cash, I'd like to buy this" "it's gonna be about $494 with taxes, you want to make a deposit to put it on hold?" "No, I'd like to buy it in cash for $375, that's what I've got take it or leave it" "well it's $450, just like everywhere else in town for the same guitar, good luck on your search, I'd recommend used"

I don't work on commission either, so there is no "window" of opportunity for me to move around in, as I explained in my previous post, we lose money on some lines virtually.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
"if they say took your cash and just kept it off the books"

That's actually not the assumption of cash barterers at all. You go to a car dealership with hard cash, you will get a deal if you know what you are doing. But there's no way in heck anyone is naive enough to think the dealer is keeping the entire car off the books.

"well the guitar they sold you is still on the books, and therefore there needs to be money receieved for it if it's no longer in inventory for taxes/legal business practices."

You write it as an employee discount and pocket the difference

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Last edited by apollo66 at Jan 31, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Heres the secret to most small shops. It all depends on how long its been on the floor. If they just got a guitar in then they wont haggle but if the guitar has been sitting there for a month or so they want to get it out the door because its not selling. This works with cars, houses or any product really. So find out how long its been out on the floor and work your game from there.

+2

Your damn right! It basically works every time .