I'm kinda looking at getting a new amp - very interested in the Peavey Valve Kings, but at £320 for the 50Watt version it's kinda just outside of my price range.

Can anyone reccomend some decent metal amps for less than that, preferably around the £250 mark? Playing an RG1570 with D-Activator Bridge and Breed Neck.
why do you need 50w?
unless for band practice with an incredibly loud drummer or gigging you dont need more then 25w tubes for home prac
Well the 50Watt was the lowest in the Valve King range, aside from the Royal 8 which is 5watts, which is gonna be a tad too low tbh... If they did a 25watt I'd go for it.
You can get the VK for £280 online.

But IMO, its not that great of an amp, and probably wont sort you out for metal.

You should just go with a modeler (Roland Cube/Vox AD50VT (Will do metal on its own)) or save up for a Randall RG50TC...
Quote by stephen_rettie
why do you need 50w?
unless for band practice with an incredibly loud drummer or gigging you dont need more then 25w tubes for home prac

Even 25 watts can be way too much for a tube amp. If yuo buy a tube amp and NEVER crank it, then what is the point? you don't get to hear the true tone of the amp. For Home practice a 5w is enough
Quote by beckyjc
You can get the VK for £280 online.

Link? I can't find that...

Even 25 watts can be way too much for a tube amp. If yuo buy a tube amp and NEVER crank it, then what is the point? you don't get to hear the true tone of the amp. For Home practice a 5w is enough

And if at some point I join a band, I'll then need to buy a new amp anyway...
Quote by sum_ugly_man

ya man true enough but 25w is the highest you hsould go, any more and you wont even get close to the required level for a good sound
Oh - I do NOT want a modelling amp. I've got a Spider II at the moment and I'm really unhappy with the lack of diversity. It's essentially limited to making the sound more or less gainy. Any alteration of the EQ produces less-than-good tones. I know there are better modelling amps, but I still forsee the diversity within each model being somewhat limited.

Wattage is not a huge concern, I do not want huge amounts, but I also don't want miniscule amounts. I guess 15 Watt would be minimum.
Quote by stephen_rettie
ya man true enough but 25w is the highest you hsould go, any more and you wont even get close to the required level for a good sound

I'm getting a traynor ycv50 because I will be jammin with my band, loud drummer and bass. Last time I used the traynor with my band, it was for 5 mins it was okay, but I didn't get to turn it up all the way, more like at 6-7.

But anyways, TS the valveking is a good amp, it won't do you any br00talz, but you can always boost it. And look into a used one, they are in your price range. Or do what becky said
There isnt much in your price range unfortunately. No idea if theyre out yet, but the new peavey windsor studio should be right up your alley.
A Peavey Valveking can do older Iron Maiden metal. A speaker swap and it can do all metal. It has good cleans too.
I'd get the 112VK and change the speaker, and then the tubes at a later date. that's what I'm planning to do in the very near future... didn;t think much to the RG50TC. try it for yourself, but I was more impressed by the VK's cleans, and even the distortion! Randall sounded a bit muffled and boxy.
unless you want to try the ibanez valbee (which i haven't tried and could suck for all i know), unless you go second-hand there really aren't any high gain tube amps for less than the valveking... at least that i'm aware of.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sum_ugly_man
I'm getting a traynor ycv50 because I will be jammin with my band, loud drummer and bass. Last time I used the traynor with my band, it was for 5 mins it was okay, but I didn't get to turn it up all the way, more like at 6-7.

But anyways, TS the valveking is a good amp, it won't do you any br00talz, but you can always boost it. And look into a used one, they are in your price range. Or do what becky said

i meant in his room, not with bandmates