Some friends and I just started a hardcore/screamo/punk band and I have no idea where to start when it comes to writing lead guitar parts. Which scales/modes/chord progressions are common in hardcore? Any tips?
Be original. Don't conform to what "SHOULD" be used in a hardcore band.
Make your own stuff up.
Quote by CyanideChris
Make your own stuff up.

hes right, but i think arpeggios sound really good and cool with hardcore music, but definately dont use pentatonics they sound terrible with hardcore............
Quote by CyanideChris
Make your own stuff up.

couldn't agree more... you could have a classical sounding tune but then you add distortion and speed and it's totally different
Quote by lopezmetalmunky
Quote by nasadm
Quote by lopezmetalmunky
Super epic win. I love you now
Made siggable

Nice. now I'll be suing you.
Why would you want to write common chord/lead progressions?

That's generally the mindset which produces crappy music.

Think for yourself, write what sounds good. Please don't adhere to convention too much like that.
Quote by webbtje
Why would you want to write common chord/lead progressions?

That's generally the mindset which produces crappy music.

Think for yourself, write what sounds good. Please don't adhere to convention too much like that.

I know, but I'm new to the whole songwriting thing and I just need a place to start. Once I get good at writing crappy music, then I can move on to writing good music and being more creative. The way I see it, everyone has to start out crappy. You can't get good if you don't get past being bad.
Hardcore is usually in a minor key.

Natural minor tends to be used rather frequently, with harmonic minor coming in second. Seriously, around 75% of the metalcore bands I listen to use natural minor all the time.

I can't think of any hardcore songs in a major key, except for a few by my band.

By the way, I second what others have said. Play what sounds good to you, not what everyone else plays.