Hi guys.

Well, i applied for college and decided I would try my hand at A-level Music, since I am currently studying it at GCSE level and enjoying it.

However, I have just come under a bit of a panic, since I got a letter from my prospective college asking me to come for an Audition specifically for the Music course.

Now a little bit of background from me..

I've been playing guitar a little over 2 years now and I class myself as a decent guitarist for what I play. That's the only problem - I play metal. I'm talking System of a Down style stuff, Slipknot, etc. Now I have studied scales and theory a bit but I reckon these auditioners will be looking for something different. However, the letter doesn't state what sort of style the music should be in.

Anyway, what I'm asking for is some advice on what some good styles of music and maybe even songs to play would be. They requiire that I play 2 contrasting pieces of music for the same instrument.. the guitar

Obviously, songs that are, or are influenced by, metal would be great, but I can experiment with other things. Please, no epics like Van Halen or whatever, I only have 8 days to learn and perfect 2 songs... not good.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,

Adam.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
Metal isn't going to cut it. By contrasting styles, they mean flamenco, classical, baroque, etc. I auditioned with a Bach piece and a spanish dance. Dig up some good guitar literature, preferably from different historical periods, and try that out. Some really good pieces for guitar:

Any Andres Segovia studies
Bach Preludes for Cello
Carcassi and Carulli studies
My Gear:
Godin BG V and BG IV
GK 1001RB w/ 4x10 RBH
Palatino Upright
Ibanez Talman Artcore
Godin LG
Washburn Acoustic
Godin Classical
Traynor YCV80

When I had my audition there was no specific style of music set. Just play whatever you want, a song thats challenging but not too hard. For 2 contrasting pieces I would play a rhythm guitar song then play some lead guitar. Just a suggestion.

Quote by musicology
Metal isn't going to cut it. By contrasting styles, they mean flamenco, classical, baroque, etc. I auditioned with a Bach piece and a spanish dance. Dig up some good guitar literature, preferably from different historical periods, and try that out. Some really good pieces for guitar:

Any Andres Segovia studies
Bach Preludes for Cello
Carcassi and Carulli studies

Studying music does not mean studying classical music. The people auditioning aren't going to expect every student that wants to study music to play those styles you mentioned. Like I said, play what you want.
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Last edited by Lord-Hypnos at Jan 30, 2008,