so, my toneport gx came in the mail this morning, and i've already started recording stuff. i set my playback on audacity to the tone port so i can hear it out of my speakers, but now i can't hear my guitar unless i press record in audacity! how do i fix this?

yea its the way audacity works with teh monitoring.
with my UX1 I have to either click the recording meter or right-click it and say "monitor input"

Set the input and output to the Toneport to get best recording results.
you need to monitor off the Toneport using either PC speakers or headphones from the mini stereo jack at the back panel of the interface.

you can also try checking "Software playthough"in the prefs. but I've yet to try that myself so im not sure how the latency is with this setup.
i would get a better program than audacity. There are other free recording programs way better. And doesnt the UX1 come with a recording program?
and for the latency, the UX1 should have great latency, so either its the program sucks, or u haven't configured the latency.
after hours of screwing with this ****, i've determined that when i set the output device to the toneport in audacity is when it stops working. if i shut down audacity and gearbox, then restart gearbox, it will work fine until i click on audacity again. this is starting to really piss me off.

somebody help.
Quote by corey3815
the latency is terrible.

oh, and i just tried to open audacity, and for the first time ever, i got a blue screen of death in vista, then it shut down.

what the hell?

I've had the same problem, and still get it randomly.
Vista + GB + any recording program - Blue Screen of Death

More info, but no fix from what I've been able to find:
http://line6.com/support/message.jspa?messageID=138651

I suggest a new interface like the Mackie Onyx Firewire at $180
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-Onyx-Satellite-Recording-Interface?sku=248154

I'm trying to save up for one now but may get the m-audio 2496 for a while before going for the Mackie due to me not having enough cash on hand yet...

ok so yea playthough with Audacity isn't a good thing even with the Toneport, it's not audacity's fault...it will do the same with any recording program I'm sure.

After trying to use this interface for weeks now I've decided to sell it, I put a review in a while ago:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12375338&postcount=28

I'm sure it works ok on some PCs but not mine or yours........
Last edited by moody07747 at Jan 30, 2008,
The simple and correct answer is that Audacity is a ballbreaker of an application. It ports over all three major OS's and others and pays for it by being completely unreliable. I have the UX2 and I usually use it to go through Ableton on my Mac when I use it. Works an absolute treat, but Ableton isn't free I'm afraid. Worth the purchase though.
I should add that Ive tried AL, Sonar, Audacity, and Reaper...all crash with my TP randomly...
so I can say its not the software.

This happens on both my Acer Aspire laptop and desktop although I used it mostly on my desktop when I could get it running.

I finally boxed the interface up last night and will type up an ebay post later today to get it sold around the weekend.

I'm going to get the M-audio 2496 in place of the Toneport as I have a mixer which works/sounds well and don't really multi-track all that much yet.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jan 31, 2008,
It would be my first guess. It's a great program for a piece of freeware, it really is, but there is no denying that it is unreliable. You can luck out with your computer set up and it'll never cause a problem, or it'll never load and you'll face the Blue Devil at every encounter. I've used it on my home PC - worked for a while then crashed, blue screen. My Mac it runs fine with the occasional crash to desktop. And I've used it in a pro studio on a state of the art Mac G4...doesn't even open. It is a troublesome app.
Quote by moody07747
I've had the same problem, and still get it randomly.
Vista + GB + any recording program - Blue Screen of Death

More info, but no fix from what I've been able to find:
http://line6.com/support/message.jspa?messageID=138651

I suggest a new interface like the Mackie Onyx Firewire at $180
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-Onyx-Satellite-Recording-Interface?sku=248154

I'm trying to save up for one now but may get the m-audio 2496 for a while before going for the Mackie due to me not having enough cash on hand yet...

ok so yea playthough with Audacity isn't a good thing even with the Toneport, it's not audacity's fault...it will do the same with any recording program I'm sure.

After trying to use this interface for weeks now I've decided to sell it, I put a review in a while ago:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12375338&postcount=28

I'm sure it works ok on some PCs but not mine or yours........

Just curious, Dave, but I was wondering what you were going to use in terms of actual sound. You suggested the Satellite interface, but to my knowledge, it doesn't have an amp simulation thing like your Toneport. Are you planning on recording with a mic and amp? Or are you going to continue using GearBox? Or are you gonna spend some money on something like Guitar Rig or an Amplitube?
you can run most interfaces with Gearbox but I didnt like the tone much in the program so im sticking with my older setup, the Yamaha Magicstomp and Digitech EX7 direct to the board/interface.

I'm going with the 2496 card.

I will have to try the samples for Amplitube and Guitar Rig but for now im very happy with the magicstomp tone.
Quote by ray555
It would be my first guess. It's a great program for a piece of freeware, it really is, but there is no denying that it is unreliable. You can luck out with your computer set up and it'll never cause a problem, or it'll never load and you'll face the Blue Devil at every encounter. I've used it on my home PC - worked for a while then crashed, blue screen. My Mac it runs fine with the occasional crash to desktop. And I've used it in a pro studio on a state of the art Mac G4...doesn't even open. It is a troublesome app.

I can't say I have ever had any type of problem with it in terms of stability (obviously I am not calling you a liar though ). It just ticks me off sometimes on these forums sometimes when someone has a problem and some people immediately start shouting "Oh god, it's cos you have Audacity, that's why your recordings are rubbish!".

It's often not the case.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by moody07747
you can run most interfaces with Gearbox but I didnt like the tone much in the program so im sticking with my older setup, the Yamaha Magicstomp and Digitech EX7 direct to the board/interface.

I'm going with the 2496 card.

I will have to try the samples for Amplitube and Guitar Rig but for now im very happy with the magicstomp tone.

Since I already own a multi-effects processor, (ME-50), would something like Gearbox be redundant?

Would I achieve similar results by buying a PCI card like the M-Audio 2496 and plugging the ME-50 straight into the card?

From what I gather, you're saying that you like the sound of your multi effects better than gearbox. So is that what you're doing? Going straight into your card? I've heard that you don't get very good results doing this.
The main things interfaces give you are XLR inputs and on board preamps
(when compared to the 2496 since some PCI cards like the 1010LT have a few preamps).

If you have a multi FX processor and are happy with the sounds it gives I say go with the PCI card but this 2496 needs to run with a mixer since it doesnt have on board preamps.

You can't run most FX processor pedals direct to the PCI card withinout a mixer, (the exception being if it has something like a headphone output). The Tapco mixers are nice to start with and are low in price but quality is good but I have a Yamaha MG to work with which I like the preamps in so I'm sticking with that in my setup.

You should be fine running guitar > FX pedal > PCI recording card. The only time you would have trouble doing this would be if you had a stock sound card in your DAW.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 3, 2008,
Quote by ray555
The simple and correct answer is that Audacity is a ballbreaker of an application. It ports over all three major OS's and others and pays for it by being completely unreliable. I have the UX2 and I usually use it to go through Ableton on my Mac when I use it. Works an absolute treat, but Ableton isn't free I'm afraid. Worth the purchase though.

Well I have to disagree with you there. I have used Audacity on 3 different PC boxes with very few problems. I'm recording these days through a Presonus Inspire 1384 and still use Audacity for recording, even though the Presonus has Cubase LE. I use Audacity for pre-processing the tracks and then export each track as a wav file and then import them into Cubase SE3 for mixing down. Then the exported mixdown to Audacity for final volume adjustments and making MP3's.

Works for me!!

Tony