So I've been learning how to slap for the past two months and I've been playing mostly chili peppers stuff. So far I've learned can't stop, higher ground, aeroplane, get up and jump (still quite sloppy but I can do it full speed).

I want to try a funk song now but I've never been a fan of the genre so I don't even know where to begin. So recommend me a good beginner or intermediate funk song.
Quote by NC777
So I've been learning how to slap for the past two months and I've been playing mostly chili peppers stuff. So far I've learned can't stop, higher ground, aeroplane, get up and jump (still quite sloppy but I can do it full speed).

I want to try a funk song now but I've never been a fan of the genre so I don't even know where to begin. So recommend me a good beginner or intermediate funk song.

That kinda contradicts the whole thread, as well as the songs you learnt to play.

However, if you're wanting to get into funk, look into the Chili's song Stone Cold Bush, as well as other stuff from their Mother's Milk album, Parliament stuff, and Sly And The Family Stone.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Check out Graham Central Station and Sly and the Family Stone. Larry Graham, founder of slap bass was in both of those bands.

And there is a thread about on slap bass (Technique of the Month) written by Applehead, that if you use the search bar should be easily found. He listed out some great suggestions by Graham Central Station, Jamiroquai and others.
true men dont kill coyotes
aeroplane
walkabout
power of equality
so much I (good finger workout )
tell me baby

some of my favs, cant go wrong with chilis
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
cant go wrong with chilis

Stadium Arcadium
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
its not too funky, but theres some killer basslines

charlie
readymade
hump de bump

and so on, as well as what i've mentioned
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by gm jack
Stadium Arcadium

Some really good basslines on it though.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
If you don't mind the song being in a different language, check out this one.
Contact me for tabs (I've only done the verse, I'll get to work on the choruses later on)

By the way, the actual song only starts at around 2:00.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
"Walk the Dinosaur" by Was Not Was.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GhRxIsA1NYI&watch_response
^^Marcus Miller Jazz

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ftvInSfPjyE
Schecter Stiletto Elite 4

I love the tones in both of the videos, the Schecter's tone has more balls to it while the Marcus Miller Signature is clearer.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
play that funky music by wild cherry...
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
Quote by basser4ever123
play that funky music by wild cherry...

I could be wrong, but I didn't think that was slapped. I thought it was Phinger Phunk
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

^+1 but I don't know if it's supposed to be slapped I still do though.....
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Sgt. Baker by Primus

nice but of Slap/Strum

Funk rock thing without resorting to Chilis

everyone seems to resort to Chilis

and yeah, Play that Funky Music

I play with fingers

but Im no Funkasaurus
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
It's not supposed to be a slap song, but it sounds awesome as one:

"Killing in the Name of"-Rage Against the Machine

It was the song I learned to slap to. I would post a video of how to slap it but I lack a web cam or camera of any kind.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by rhcp_freak
That kinda contradicts the whole thread, as well as the songs you learnt to play.

However, if you're wanting to get into funk, look into the Chili's song Stone Cold Bush, as well as other stuff from their Mother's Milk album, Parliament stuff, and Sly And The Family Stone.

doesn't really contradict, RHCP isn't really funk at all. It's rock with some funk influence, sure, but to say "you don't like funk but like aeroplane by RHCP? hypocritical" is.... a little .... edgy.

For ACTUAL funk, try Parliament (although he didn't slap, he occasionally spanked), Sly & the Family Stone (thank you falettenme be mice elf again in particular), Defunkt, and ofcourse the Louis Brothers (thunder thumbs).

Quote by skippy_moogoose
Sgt. Baker by Primus

nice but of Slap/Strum

Funk rock thing without resorting to Chilis

everyone seems to resort to Chilis

and yeah, Play that Funky Music

I play with fingers

but Im no Funkasaurus

in what way is Primus funk?

and Play that funky music's mainline is guitar, the bassline, if you listen, is a lot less aggressive and is fingerstyle. its root notes just like "boo. do deh". not like "boo do det do det, dun dun, do deh-re".

listen to the song.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
and Play that funky music's mainline is guitar, the bassline, if you listen, is a lot less aggressive and is fingerstyle. its root notes just like "boo. do deh". not like "boo do det do det, dun dun, do deh-re".

listen to the song.

Definitely. The song is fun to improvise over. In its natural state, it's begging to have a funky-ass bassline thrown on top of it.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

I know the song isn't genuinely funk but try Rage Against the Machine 'take the power back' like i said the song isn't funk but it's got a great slap bass line and pretty simple aswell
how about "thank you (falletinme be mice elf)" by sly and the family stone
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Definitely going to get started on some of these on my days off before next semester. Cheers.
Quote by UtBDan

in what way is Primus funk?

listen to the song.

I'd have to be really dumb to confuse the guitar and bass lines in play that funky music....

*notices several people have tabbed the guitar line for bass....idiots*

but its a good funk song, not slap so not what TS wanted, good for improv though

and OK, Primus are not funk, but since Claypool has said two main influences of his are Larry Graham and Louis Johnson, it's fair to say they are funk influenced, and the TS wanted a funky slap song, not a funk slap song, hence people recommending RHCP's who are also not funk

so if people recommned RHCP's, why can't I recommned Primus???

same with the guy whos; recommened Infectious Grooves-funky? yes funk? no

that's all, sorry if I came across as calling Primus funk, wasn't my intention
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose
I'd have to be really dumb to confuse the guitar and bass lines in play that funky music....

*notices several people have tabbed the guitar line for bass....idiots*

but its a good funk song, not slap so not what TS wanted, good for improv though

and OK, Primus are not funk, but since Claypool has said two main influences of his are Larry Graham and Louis Johnson, it's fair to say they are funk influenced, and the TS wanted a funky slap song, not a funk slap song, hence people recommending RHCP's who are also not funk

so if people recommned RHCP's, why can't I recommned Primus???

same with the guy whos; recommened Infectious Grooves-funky? yes funk? no

that's all, sorry if I came across as calling Primus funk, wasn't my intention

because I think Primus isn't influenced by funk. He was also influenced by Stanley Clarke, that doesn't make Primus jazzy rock, does it?
Johnson and Graham influenced his slap technique, as did Clarke. That doesn't really make it funky. It makes it... slap. but I guess that's just one reporter's opinion.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by Your41Plague12
"Walk the Dinosaur" by Was Not Was.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GhRxIsA1NYI&watch_response
^^Marcus Miller Jazz

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ftvInSfPjyE
Schecter Stiletto Elite 4

I love the tones in both of the videos, the Schecter's tone has more balls to it while the Marcus Miller Signature is clearer.

I may be a rock lover but that just became my favorite song.

Editz: I cant find tabs for it though, If anyone knows where they are plz give me teh url.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Jan 31, 2008,
Quote by UtBDan
because I think Primus isn't influenced by funk. He was also influenced by Stanley Clarke, that doesn't make Primus jazzy rock, does it?
Johnson and Graham influenced his slap technique, as did Clarke. That doesn't really make it funky. It makes it... slap. but I guess that's just one reporter's opinion.

I see your point, but I'd call a lot of chillis just slap, and not funk, like, Ballad of Bodascious reminds me a lot of RHCP's, with all the mute slaps and stuff, and a lot of my friends describe it as funky...

but yea, I get what you're saying, and you're probably right, since Im guessing your musical knowlegde is a lot better than mine, so I apologise

still...Primus have some good slap songs that the TS may be interested in

they may not be funk, but they sure are cool!!
Quote by the humanity