I guess a lot of people already knew about Petrucci and Dream Theater, but I didn't.

HOLY CRAP. John Petrucci is absolutely amazing.

Having played for only a little over a year, most of his excercises are just crazy hard, but I'm seeing definite improvements really fast.

I don't know how many people own this video but let me say it is just freakin amazing.

/rave
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
Most people's bible, including mine, along with Rustey Cooley's shred manifesto

Pretty much.

Although some of the stuff in Shred Guitar Manifesto =
I own it, bought a metronome cos of it....haven't actually gave the excersises a proper bash yet, but when I get into it, I shall swear by it.
As well as Paul Gilbert's intense rock videos, they're really awesome and have helped me loads.
I downloaded it about a year ago and I couldn't keep up with the warm up excercises because I couldn't tell what he was doing (bad vid quality maybe). but he is a godly guitarist. I've gotten a lot better in the last year, time to see if I can keep up with the warm up yet.
Really, you guys found that useful? I found it shockingly boring! I really couldn't work through it all >.<

Michael Angelo Batio's "Speed Kills" on the other hand, ROCKS!
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Quote by LeperAffinity
Really, you guys found that useful? I found it shockingly boring! I really couldn't work through it all >.<

Michael Angelo Batio's "Speed Kills" on the other hand, ROCKS!

If it bores you then it's not for you.
When I play the things (when I have done, not got through much yet) it makes me want to play all night, seriously I don't want to put the guitar down!
i can barely spend more than 30mins doing exercises from Cooley's, his 4 note per string stretches are huge, especially on a 7 string.....
The exercises in Petrucci's vids are great. It's funny how he has to massage himself to prevent himself from cramping up though. That's not a very good sign
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by EclipseNine
I downloaded it about a year ago and I couldn't keep up with the warm up excercises because I couldn't tell what he was doing (bad vid quality maybe). but he is a godly guitarist. I've gotten a lot better in the last year, time to see if I can keep up with the warm up yet.

I DL'ed it too, and on the torrent search there was a torrent of a PDF of the booklet that comes with it.
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
yeah, great practice tool. Those exercises are nasty though, I still can't do them all cleanly, and I've had the damn video for quite a while now, lol.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Y00p
It is awesome, really is.

Let me clarify.

It was so helpful for me, that 9/10 warm-ups I use, come either from this video, or are adapted versions of the same excercise.

For example, the basic alternate (1 pick strike, 2 pick strikes, 3 pick strikes, 4 pick strikes, you konw the one) picking warm-up is the first thing I start with when I pick up my guitar.

John Petrucci's Rock Discipline video is good, but it's better if it is used with the book, as well as his Wild Stringdom book. As for Cooley, I think his last name should be changed to Stooley to describe his style of shred. :lol:
^Mega lol^
yea, the JP is too hard for me. for now im just using regular excercises w/a metronome and im trying to do sum of the 10 hour workout
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
i have the book and CD version...so it has tab which i find easier to decipher rather than voice and visual communication.

i have been playing nearly 4 years and only owned it 1 month....and i do an hour a night of his excersises etc...and it works so well !

if you have the commitment and time to study this book....you wont regret it...you deffo get rewards for it.

It basically teaches you technique and makes you able to playing accurate and fast..meaning any song you want to learn or cover..you'll find it much easier.
That and Marty Friedman's Melodic Control are my two favorite instructional DVDs. To say they've helped my playing a lot is an understatement.
dream theater was one of the main reasons i picked up guitar in the first place, i should really get round to getting rock discipline
Gear

Ibanez RG1451 (Bareknuckle Aftermath bridge, Cold Sweat neck)
Jackson DK2T(Bareknuckle Miracle Man bridge,SD Jazz neck)
Ibanez RG321mh(SD JB bridge)
Epiphone SG-400,
Ibanez RG370DX,
Vintage V6

Pod X3 into KRK RP8 G2's
Quote by JoshXXXXX
That and Marty Friedman's Melodic Control are my two favorite instructional DVDs. To say they've helped my playing a lot is an understatement.

Melodic Control's availible on DVD? Can someone verify this? I'll actually be able to watch it if it is. I currently can't as I have dial-up...
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

I'm thinking of getting this video. I really want to improve and speed up my alternate picking, so if it has good excercises for that I'll probably get it.
"Music is my religion." - Jimi Hendrix

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD Alexi-600
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Other Gear:
Carvin V3 amp head
Marshall MG15DFX
Digitech RP250 pedal
The exercises in there help me A LOT. Wouldn't be at the level i am now if i hadn't watched that video. Heard that Matt Heafy from Trivium watches it everyday or something like that.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Rock Discipline is my staple for instructional vids along with Paul Gilberts terrifying guitar trip. Great lessons!
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso