I am currently using Ernie Ball regular gauge strings for my guitar. I've been playing for a few months. I notice that I bend these strings unintentionally a lot. So I started thinking about getting thicker strings and seeing how they work. What are some of the benefits or not cons? Is it mostly just a matter of personal feel for the strings?
Tension and tone are different, neither is better than the other, try different things and then use what you like more.
I use 10-52s, and used to use 12s, just because they went better with the scale of my guitar.

Using heavier strings will mean youll build up strength in your fingers alot faster. And if you one day switched to lower gauge you'd suddenly find you were amazing. Almost.

But if your strings are bending unintentionally throw on a nother gauge.

It wont do any harm unless you jump from 9s to 12 or somehting.
The thicker the strings you use the better tone you get from your guitar...generally speaking. Also heavier strings will tune down without losing tune better.

Bad points are they are more difficult to bend and generall require more strength to utilise. If you have only been playing a few months this may not be great for your hands. I wouldn't recommend anything heavier than 10s.

You can get hybrids which are 10s on the lower 3 strings and 9s on the higher which some like to try and give best of both worls. I dont like it though....feels unbalanced.

If youare unintentionally bending strings it would make sense to me at least...to keep the same gauge strings but work on your technique.
This is a lie...no reason why...right from the outset
If you are using 9's and shove on a set or 12's. When you tune them up theres going to be alot more tension on the neck. Often the neck will arch more (more relief) instead of being so straight.

Also the nut might need filing so the thicker, wider strings sit correctly.You'll get a slightly fuller sound but theres not that much of a difference.

Imo theres no point in upping the gauge unless youre going to be playing in some low tunings like C, B or J. You'll most likely have to adjust the truss rod and alter the nut. And replacing a nut if you decide to go back is no easy feat.
Con - Switching from 10's to 12's usually isn't a problem, but if you're planning on getting a pack of Zakk Wylde strings (11, 14, 18, 36, 52, 70!!!) you're gonna have to readjust your trussrod because the higher tension is going to mess up the angle of your neck and you might have to fix the string height because thicker strings are more likely to cause buzzing sounds.

Pro - Not only will you gain more strength, thicker strings also produce a sweeter tone. Or at least that's what you'll be getting if you learn to play as smoothly as you do with lighter strings. Chords sound better when you're strumming thicker strings
Ha ha ha...

I recently switched from some 9-46's to 11-50's and there wasnt much tone difference on the low E, A, or D strings, but it made a BIG difference on the G, B, and high E strings. That could have been also the difference between Blue Steels and GHS Boomers, but I am a LOT happier with the Boomers for sure. The other thing is that the thicker guage strings seem to stay in tune a lot better on my crappy guitar than the 9's did. I like the G, B, high E enough to where I think those will go on my Ibanez when I get it, but I think I would rather have something a little thicker on bottom.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Quote by dsubstanceuk
I use 9s in Standard Tuning, and 10s tuned a half step down.

you just got called a wimp by a girl.
for some reason i find that hilarious.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Quote by Preid
Also the nut might need filing so the thicker, wider strings sit correctly.You'll get a slightly fuller sound but theres not that much of a difference.

Having used .9s and .11s on an MIM Strat, the difference was amazing. Personal opinion, but having tried the two (almost) back-to-back I'd say there's a notable gap in tone.

On the other hand, I'm yet to get my neck adjusted for .11s, so every tune-up is 5 minutes of hell
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
i play 8's, but looking for 11's/10's this week

I like the 8's since i have a scalloped neck
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Roto' yellow's ftw! I use 10-46 and ive no complaints

If you've enjoyed this thread, feel free to heal my ass in the elimination thread, it wont go unnoticed.
my ibanez came with 9-42 strings, and i had that same problem of unintentionally bending strings, as i was used to the 12-52 on my acoustic. the 9-42 dont sound that great with chords in my opinion. finally got set of 10-46 today and wow it feels so much better, i can be a bit heavy handed especially when strumming power chords but these hold up so much better, chords sound alot bigger and brighter and it just all feels that bit better.
but at the end of the day i guess its all down to personal preference

when you change string gauge chances are you will need to set up your guitar again especially if you have a double locking trem!! a lot of fiddling is needed
Upping the gauge wont make the unintentional bending go away, its a technique flaw. Ive never had that problem but im sure all it takes is some good, solid practice and it'll go away.
i use super thick strings,
11-70

the thickest low strings are really tight and they sound tight, and the higher strings are light enough to bend and solo on, (really thick lower strings do make the unintentional bending go away a bit, its great live cause i can attack as hard as i can, and i can move around as much as i want and not make weird warbles)

i dont think there is much difference between regulars sets of 10s-11s, you need to go drastic to hear a difference. Changing from 9's to even 10s or 11s will feel different, but the sound would change much.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
i use ernie ball 11-54(or 52 i cant remember)...on my 7STRING! oooooooooooooo...7strings rule
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Quote by Withateethuh
So how much of a difference would it be to go up one level?

its not even that noticable to go up one level, if you want to be able to tell youd have to go up 2.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
I use the Regular Slinkys (.10s) on my current strat, but I used to use Custom Guage .13s on a different strat (A squier but it worked) trying to be like SRV, it really builds up your fingers quick, I liked them, but they didnt bend enough for my tastes, Im going to get another strat soon and set them up with my old Custom Guage.

TS: What I would do is go to a music store or order a couple different guages, if you like Ernie Ball, get their strings, try .11s, .12s, and some custom guages.
Quote by Preid
Imo theres no point in upping the gauge unless youre going to be playing in some low tunings like C, B or J. You'll most likely have to adjust the truss rod and alter the nut. And replacing a nut if you decide to go back is no easy feat.

Yeah, there is: tone. And you don't need to replace the nut; I've used from .009s to .013s (all in E standard) without problems. Giving it a setup after a string gauge change goes without saying.

Quote by redneck516
its not even that noticable to go up one level, if you want to be able to tell youd have to go up 2.

There is definitely a noticeable difference going up a gauge.

Quote by Withateethuh
Would they buzz more or less?

More, if it doesn't get set up properly (which I'm guessing it isn't, even for your current string gauge).
Last edited by mr_hankey at Jan 31, 2008,
i'd suggest using whatever strings came on the guitar or are recommended by the manufacturer cos tht usually gets me the best tone. 9's seem to sound better thn 10's on both my guitars, if ya get a decent set of strings then you shouldn't lose too much tone. I use DR tite fits or high beam and don't lose tone on the thinner ones.
I use Ernie Ball "14-60" for A standard to regular Standard, thats a wide variety of tunings eh?

^GHS strings don't have much tone, they also look cheep, compared to Ernie Balls, and D'Azrio sets for the same price
Quote by xWhitechapelx
I use Ernie Ball "14-60" for A standard to regular Standard, thats a wide variety of tunings eh?

^GHS strings don't have much tone, they also look cheep, compared to Ernie Balls, and D'Azrio sets for the same price

Don't have much tone? Are you deaf?

I switched from using Ernie Ball & Daddario to GHS, they have ALOT more tone, it's warm & thick.

Ernie Ball was terrible, Daddario was okay, and GHS is awesome.
Also, the Ernie Ball's hardly lasted a week for me, they sounded good for about 2 days, then they were essentially trash.

And how do they "look cheap"?
They look like any set of strings..(except they're better)
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Don't have much tone? Are you deaf?

I switched from using Ernie Ball & Daddario to GHS, they have ALOT more tone, it's warm & thick.

Ernie Ball was terrible, Daddario was okay, and GHS is awesome.
Also, the Ernie Ball's hardly lasted a week for me, they sounded good for about 2 days, then they were essentially trash.

And how do they "look cheap"?
They look like any set of strings..(except they're better)

Ernie Balls require more stretching than other brands but they sound very good that way, if you don't stretch any brand of strings they won't last you super long, and you have to clean them you know or you can cause grime fatigue in your strings,

they look different, look closely next time you can tell the difference, but you can't tell the difference between Ernieball and D'azarios what so ever. the standard used by most Artist are either D'azario or Ernieball,

and 10-52 is light for Drop-C, that will give you okay tone, go bigger for more tone
What I did was this:

Went from 9's to 10's. From 10's to 11's. Then from 11's to 12's. I haven't been able to find 13's in any guitar stores, except for some that cost 29.99 per set...

Sounds nicer, imo.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
What I did was this:

Went from 9's to 10's. From 10's to 11's. Then from 11's to 12's. I haven't been able to find 13's in any guitar stores, except for some that cost 29.99 per set...

Sounds nicer, imo.

try 7 string guitar sets
I guess I'll try 12s and see if its an improvement. Am I going to have to change my action and intonation for this?
Quote by xWhitechapelx

and 10-52 is light for Drop-C, that will give you okay tone, go bigger for more tone

Dime used DR 10-52 in drop b for damageplan, so...
But, yeah I was thinking of moving up to like 11-54 or something.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Dime used DR 10-52 in drop b for damageplan, so...
But, yeah I was thinking of moving up to like 11-54 or something.

thats fine for Drop-C it can do Drop-B also, A little iff untill you reach 58, only thing they get tight in standard tuning but you can get there even with 14-62
I know have 11's there much harder to shred with than my 8's, i also have 10s sitting around, the 11's are much brighter than the 8's
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by sirlimecat
I know have 11's there much harder to shred with than my 8's, i also have 10s sitting around, the 11's are much brighter than the 8's

I can shred with my 14's