http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1193987

Friend of mine's Rocker 30 was delivered this morning, but his Avatar 212 is still a few days out and he's clawing at the walls to play it. He was wondering if he could use his combo has a cab somehow and came across this thread.

Can you really run a head through the effects loop like that? I can't imagine it'd work, or be good for either amp. Even though your skipping the second amps pre-amp you're still running Rocker Pre-Amp -> Rocker Power Amp -> Other Power Amp.

Not a good thing right?

I told him to go to GC, buy a used cab and just return it when his Avatar comes in but he's lazy /shrug.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Yes, cut the speaker wires as far away from the speaker as possible and solder a jack on... Providing it is the right impedance.
You can use the speaker from the combo, but don't use the power amp from the combo. The Rocker will need to be connected to a speaker load regardless.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Yes, cut the speaker wires as far away from the speaker as possible and solder a jack on... Providing it is the right impedance.

Well yeah, I know that part could work. I'm talking about post #6 over there, which is what he's wondering:

You can plug the head to the in of the effects loop if you have one.

Otherwise it's gonna suck with 2 preamps.

This guy is talking about running the head into the effects loop of the combo amp, not just the speaker.
Only thing he could do is use the speaker form the combo. You cant run the speaker output of a head to the return on an effects loop on the combo. And you cant use the effects send fo the head into the return of the combo. Either way an amp is gonna get screwed up. Hes just gonna have to chill and have some patience.
Thats what I though, thanks man.
Quote by Kendall
You can use the speaker from the combo, but don't use the power amp from the combo. The Rocker will need to be connected to a speaker load regardless.

This is correct. You can connect the R30 speaker output to the combo's speaker, provided the impedance matches. You CAN use the combo's power amp:
If you want to re-amp the R30 into another amp's effects loop, YOU MUST HAVE A LOAD BOX CONNECTED to the R30 speaker output (like a Hot Plate set to "load", or a Palmer PDI03 speaker simulator/load box). Then you can use the "line out" jack on the Hot Plate or Palmer & run a guitar cable into the effects loop of the other amp. It would allow the R30 to run as wide open as you like, & regulate volume w/ the 2nd amp.
It will sound a bit different than just cranking the R30, but will give more adjustment range.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Plug the speaker output of a head into the recv of an FX loop and you'll be cook'n a lot of electronics.

The only thing that should go into the output of your head is a speaker. And that speaker should not be connected to another amp.
Quote by fly135
Plug the speaker output of a head into the recv of an FX loop and you'll be cook'n a lot of electronics.

The only thing that should go into the output of your head is a speaker. And that speaker should not be connected to another amp.

You don't necessarily have to have a speaker connected to the speaker output.
You should learn about load boxes & re-amping. Lots of pro players do it. Also, to use the combo's speaker directly, it would have to be electrically disconnected from its own amp.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011