hey,

tomorrow is going to be my first day in jazz band, im not really sure what to expect.

I consider myself a good guitar player but i have never played jazz

what type of stuff should i check out before tomorrow?
Quote by PinguinLeader
aint this spam?

Edit:and where is that report button, everytime i wanna use it it is gone

2th edit: and dont even think of sigging that
Pat Metheny
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by MedicreDemon
Pat Metheny

wes montgomery
joe pass

and know EVERY type of extend chord that is in multiple versions (yes, all those diminished and augmented ones too)
You're not going to by playing anything close to Pat Metneny. Be able to play a chunk comping style like Freddie Green. Learn some shapes for major, minor, and dimished 7th chords. Pray to god you don't have to do any site reading or have to play complicated charts with alot of substituions. It all depends on the level of your jazz band.
12 fret fury
learn 7th chords, 9th chords, etc. i wouldn't expect a solo your first time but work on your theory for a couple hours tonight. another thing for the next couple days: NO FUN! you have to get through the not fun and the dirt before you can know the theory to play and make jazz. any knowledge in sheet music? if not learn the notes for treble cleft. most importantly have fun once you get through the tear your hair out stuff.
the teacher heard me playing my acoustic in the music area at school and said i should stop by, i kinda assumed she knew i cant like site read notes and stuff

thanks for all the help
Quote by PinguinLeader
aint this spam?

To properly play jazz you must gain a feel for the language of jazz. The only way to do that is to listen to a lot of jazz and pay close attention to the musicians' solos.

I recommend Wes Montgomery and Charlie Parker. Their solos are legendary but easy to follow.

And of course, the basics such as learning how to form common chords such as dominants (with 9ths, 11ths, 16ths), half diminished, altered, etc, comping, block chords, inversions, substitutions, etc.

Unless you want to sound like you have no idea what you're doing, get a teacher.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I've been playing in High School Jazz Band for the last two years. Things i needed to learn were:
-basic sightreading of treble clef (usually in 5th position)
-reading of rhythmsin regular manuscript sheet music
-Seventh chords (you can usually get away with playing a seventh chord instead of a 6 or 9)
-to ask a teacher if there were any trouble spots.

Usually, high school jazz band doesn't play anything too intense, so you should be set. It is helpfull if you have someone more experianced to go over the music with.

if you want any help- feel free to send me a private message.
Go in with a good, suitable tone.

That is important. If you go in with fake EMGS and scooped mids, no one will be impressed...
cool , thanks everyone. Im confident in my ablity to do all the chord work such as dimished and 7th ect.

i guess i better start site reading though

i guess it helps i can read the treble clef!

thanks again to everyone
Quote by PinguinLeader
aint this spam?

wear a beret and say "dig it" and "cat" often, if you make a mistake just say " I was trying to inject some cecil taylor into the part, can you dig it cat?"