Poll: what should i do ?
Poll Options
View poll results: what should i do ?
get an EQ man, try that first, it's a helpful piece of gear !
8 15%
Get the OCD, it's perfect for you.
30 55%
you want the TS808 for your genres !
8 15%
you might want to try something else (a different OD pedal ? )
9 16%
Voters: 55.
Page 1 of 2
this is my last thread, i swear

I have a Strat and a fender Blues deluxe, and as most of you know, the OD on the amp sucks donkey balls. I'm trying to decide between the Fulltone OCD

and the BYOC TS808 (which is a moddable Ibanez basically).

what i'm also looking at, is an equalizer ! i'd use it to shape my overall tone, because i feel i have too much bass even with the bass at 0, and it might also improve my drive channel... but i'm not sure if my dad'll let me buy both an EQ and an OD pedal.

I play vintage sounding stuff, like Cream, Hendrix, Clapton, Santana, etc.
what i want is a good overdrive tone for classic rock, and dirty blues. (and that at LOW volumes, that means under 1 on the BD)
i absolutely love the tone on most Cream songs.
I'll use the pedal as a standalone overdrive on the clean channel, unless i get a decent OD sound on the drive channel.

i won't have the chance to try them out, so i have to rely on you guys .
if ypu want to recommend me a different OD pedal, my price range is $150-160.

what do you guys think, an EQ to get the mud and harshness out of the drive channel (and for general use too), or a TS808 or an OCD for what i play ?

thanks a lot guys (and girls )
Last edited by The red Strat. at Jan 30, 2008,
the 808 is supposed to be rly warm, i'd say OCD

(also, in before geoff with OCD)
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Hahaha OCD 100% oh wait thats only my vote.........
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
I personally like the OCD better, because of its superior dynamics. I think it has a more raw, transparent tone than a TS, but that's just my opinion.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I am using basicaly the same equipment as you, Fender Strat and Blue Deluxe, I would say for the tone you are looking for i would go with the 808, the TS is great OD pedal, i use a Boss ME-50 which is a multi FX board and it has a TS8 model on it, and i use it the most. I don't mean to complicate things more but try a Proco Rat aswell, but for the tone's you are lookin for i would go for the TS808
Gear

Guitars - Fender Deluxe Player Strat, Squier Affinity Strat, Ibanez TCM - 50

Amps - Fender Blues Deluxe

Effects - Boss ME-50

Other - Banjo

Jazz Is not music, Its a way of life
Maxon OD9.

I love mine, gets a great slightly driven tone all the way up to SRV's driven tone.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
heard great things about the maxon OD808. I use a bad monkey OD myself since I'm on a tight budget.
WTLTL 2011
are the Tube screamers also dynamic or not ? the TS9 i tried in a rush wasn't so... but i'm not sure about the maxons and the TS808... anyone ?

also, does anyone know if the BYOC can be modded to be more dynamic or already is more than an Ibanez ?
Maxon's are similar to Ibanez except they built the original ibanez tubescreamers and they still use the original circuitry unlike Ibanez. And Maxon's OD's are true bypass (as of 2006). Not to mention they're about the same price as the Ibanez ones.

If you would like I could go to a local store, I'm not joking when i say they have 60 OCD overdrives in stock, and do a comparison with the to the Maxon OD9.

It might be a few days because i'm a bit under the weather at the moment.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Maxon's are similar to Ibanez except they built the original ibanez tubescreamers and they still use the original circuitry unlike Ibanez. And Maxon's OD's are true bypass (as of 2006). Not to mention they're about the same price as the Ibanez ones.

If you would like I could go to a local store, I'm not joking when i say they have 60 OCD overdrives in stock, and do a comparison with the to the Maxon OD9.

It might be a few days because i'm a bit under the weather at the moment.

if you could do that, that would be amazing. i'll be your slave for the rest of your UG-life if you could give me a comparison review about those 2 pedals
(could you try it wiht a blues, or hot rod deluxe though if possible, because i wouldn't be very helpful on a different amp)

no problem.

Quote by the.spine.surfs
For your setup, OCD on the clean channel.

Mabye a BBE Green Screamer?

lol, first you recommend the OCD and then a TS clone.
could you elaborate please ?

Quote by Horlicks
808!

could you elaborate please ?
Last edited by The red Strat. at Feb 2, 2008,
An Eden Analog Nashville Hot Boost, a T-Rex Alberta, an MI Audio Blues Pro, MAD PROFESSOR Little Green Wonder, Xotic BB Preamp, Damage Control Liquid Blues, etc. There's lots to look at.

OR th OCD.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
lol, first you recommend the OCD and then a TS clone.
could you elaborate please ?/QUOTE]
I was just reacting to your first post. If you want an independent distortion over the clean channel, I'd say the OCD. If you want a pedal to try and push and thighten the OD channel, then the Green Screamer is my favourtie TS9 clone.
i got an ibanez 808 and an OCD..
i found that i can pretty much dial in a ts sound from the OCD in LP mode if i really want to.. but i don't really want to most of the time :p
bottom line, OCD.

oh, and an EQ really helps, regardless
I like the OCD more, mainly the dynamics.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by sebastian_96
I say get a Keeley modded TS808
http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=31

i can do all of those mods myself with the BYOC. thanks though !

Quote by splat102
An Eden Analog Nashville Hot Boost, a T-Rex Alberta, an MI Audio Blues Pro, MAD PROFESSOR Little Green Wonder, Xotic BB Preamp, Damage Control Liquid Blues, etc. There's lots to look at.

OR th OCD.

thank you, those are interesting pedals !

and why not the TS808 ?

Quote by Gabel
OCD OCD OCD and oh OCD

lol, why ?
Quote by the.spine.surfs

I was just reacting to your first post. If you want an independent distortion over the clean channel, I'd say the OCD. If you want a pedal to try and push and thighten the OD channel, then the Green Screamer is my favourtie TS9 clone.

oh, that way. doesn't the OCD do a good job of tightening and pushing an OD channel ? it's not important because my ooverdrive channel sucks any way, and i don't want even more bad tone .

Quote by Nezek
i got an ibanez 808 and an OCD..
i found that i can pretty much dial in a ts sound from the OCD in LP mode if i really want to.. but i don't really want to most of the time :p
bottom line, OCD.

oh, and an EQ really helps, regardless

really ? what setting do you use ? can you get that typical smooth, compressed drive out of an OCD ?

would an EQ help getting the mud and harshness out of the drive channel ?
what are some other uses for it ?

Quote by Lightitup
I like the OCD more, mainly the dynamics.

what do you think causes the dynamics of the OCD, that the TS lacks ?
Last edited by The red Strat. at Feb 4, 2008,
for the tone your looking for i say the 808. i play the same stuff you do but i have a TS9 and its way too modern for me. i say get both!!!. lol. or youtube these pedals to listen to them. i really like the OCD tone cuz it has like 2 different OD's and is really versatile. but if you mainly play the stuff you listed. get the 808 modded
Quote by The red Strat.
yes, i got that out of it , but i don't understand 'to cure what ales ya' ?

I believe it's an expression, as in 'get an OCD to mend your needs'.

Also, let me justify my choice. If I'm not mistaken you want it to replace your OD channel. Well, the OCD is more dynamic and will respond in a more believable way, as far as tube overdrive goes.
Don't know what else I can really add to this, as I haven't had the pleasure of using an OCD or orginal TS808 myself. I use a V2 Jekyll & Hyde. The Jekyll side is supposed to be a real nice TS808 clone. That being said, you might want to look at Visual Sound's Double Trouble or Route 66 pedal. The Double Trouble is basically two TS808 overdrive clones in one while the Route 66 pedal is a TS808 clone with an added compressor side.

As for the EQ, a very nice, inexpensive pedal you might want to take a look at is the Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ. At $30USD, it might not seem like much, but it's a surprisingly good pedal for the cost.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by The red Strat.

lol, why ?

oh, that way. doesn't the OCD do a good job of tightening and pushing an OD channel ? it's not important because my ooverdrive channel sucks any way, and i don't want even more bad tone .

really ? what setting do you use ? can you get that typical smooth, compressed drive out of an OCD ?

would an EQ help getting the mud and harshness out of the drive channel ?
what are some other uses for it ?

what do you think causes the dynamics of the OCD, that the TS lacks ?

Well maybe you have forgotten what I said in earlier threads.

The OCD is BOTH good at tightening the OD channel and for use as a distortion, when I got it I used it for my distoriton sound.

What setting I use to get a nice compressed drive:
Drive: About 10 o' clock
Volume: About: 2 o' clock
Tone: About 3 o' clock
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Well, first-off, i dont support the notion that you want to completely replace your drive channel with a pedal. The overdrive channel on the HRD and BD isnt that bad, it just gets very thin once you try to crank a decent amount of gain on it. You will want to use these pedals on the gain channel, try to beef that up, before you try using them as standalone overdrives.

That being said, the OCD does a much much much better job of being a stand-alone overdrive. It is much more dynamic and responds more like an overdriven amp than the TS. The tubescreamer is the ultimate gain booster though for a fender style amp. It provides the necessary midrange to get your solo's through the mix, and adds enough compression and smoothness to turn your CRANKED fender into a gain machine. The OCD does almost as nice a job with the gain booster, and when i say almost, i mean really damn close, but it is just fuller sounding on the bass, and while thats good for lower drive, when you want to achieve that singing Rory Gallagher tone, you need a midrange booster running into a cranked amp. There is a reason i have both.

For you, i'd suggest the OCD for two reasons. You're not going to be cranking your Blues Deluxe much, so the magical boosting power of the TS will not be of much use to you, and you want a stand-alone overdrive, a category where the OCD just blows the TS out of the water.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by Gabel
Well maybe you have forgotten what I said in earlier threads.

The OCD is BOTH good at tightening the OD channel and for use as a distortion, when I got it I used it for my distoriton sound.

What setting I use to get a nice compressed drive:
Drive: About 10 o' clock
Volume: About: 2 o' clock
Tone: About 3 o' clock

No, I haven't actually. it's just that i still wasn't sure which pedal would suit me better.

is that unity volume or does it give more volume ?

Quote by SRVStrat808
Well, first-off, i dont support the notion that you want to completely replace your drive channel with a pedal. The overdrive channel on the HRD and BD isnt that bad, it just gets very thin once you try to crank a decent amount of gain on it. You will want to use these pedals on the gain channel, try to beef that up, before you try using them as standalone overdrives.

That being said, the OCD does a much much much better job of being a stand-alone overdrive. It is much more dynamic and responds more like an overdriven amp than the TS. The tubescreamer is the ultimate gain booster though for a fender style amp. It provides the necessary midrange to get your solo's through the mix, and adds enough compression and smoothness to turn your CRANKED fender into a gain machine. The OCD does almost as nice a job with the gain booster, and when i say almost, i mean really damn close, but it is just fuller sounding on the bass, and while thats good for lower drive, when you want to achieve that singing Rory Gallagher tone, you need a midrange booster running into a cranked amp. There is a reason i have both.

For you, i'd suggest the OCD for two reasons. You're not going to be cranking your Blues Deluxe much, so the magical boosting power of the TS will not be of much use to you, and you want a stand-alone overdrive, a category where the OCD just blows the TS out of the water.

wow, thank you for the extensive info !
IMO the drive is really bad, it doesn't sound too bad with really low gain but almost everything sounds decent with almost no gain, because there's not much to judge, you know what i mean ?

if the OCD or TS won't give me ugly clipping on the drive channel, i will of course use it on the OD channel too, but what puts me off is this from a HRD owner on harmony central: 'combined with the drive channel on the Hot rod, the OCD gives me plain ugly clipping'.

lastly,

I would like to say a big Thank You to everyone in this thread !
^Meh.

Thats only because those amps have way too much wattage. You get absolutely no power amp saturation, and your overdrive comes solely from the pre-amp. You'd be amazed at what happens when you knock the master up to 3.5 and/or replace the speaker...
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by The red Strat.
if you could do that, that would be amazing. i'll be your slave for the rest of your UG-life if you could give me a comparison review about those 2 pedals
(could you try it wiht a blues, or hot rod deluxe though if possible, because i wouldn't be very helpful on a different amp)

no problem.

I will have your comparison in about 2 hours

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I will have your comparison in about 2 hours

fantastic !

i'll seriously be your E- slave

could you try it out specifically at low volume (just over 1 on the amp), and see how the dynamics and the sounds in general are ? i'm looking for a very creamy vintage Marshall drive, kinda like the Cream tone (not the woman tone though).
and could you also try both combined with the drive channel (if you test them with the HR, only the first drive channel) and see how that sounds with both pedals (at very low volumes too of course) ?

thanks a lot man !
well i do have both (ts808 and ocd) and a blues deluxe. we've been over this before.

TBH, i didn't really like the ts808 with my amp. the OCD is honestly the end all overdrive. id get it
since when do you own a TS808 ?
and what do you mean by ' we've been over this before' ? (sorry, i'm dutch and i can't understand everything )

about the store in Germany, my dad won't drive me
so i have to choose without hearing the pedals...
I have a recording in my profile with my modded tubescreamer running into my completely clean peavey classic 50 (a similar amp to yours). If you like it, I can point you where you can get one. If you don't like it, then you probably won't like a stock TS808. Then you can just get an OCD, which I want one quite dearly too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by MESAexplorer
Maxon OD9.

I love mine, gets a great slightly driven tone all the way up to SRV's driven tone.

I feel it my duty to second this.
Quote by The red Strat.
since when do you own a TS808 ?
and what do you mean by ' we've been over this before' ? (sorry, i'm dutch and i can't understand everything )

about the store in Germany, my dad won't drive me
so i have to choose without hearing the pedals...

i have a byoc tubescreamer i built...

i was refering to us talking about OD pedals before.
Page 1 of 2