Poll: Which is more important?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is more important?
2. Natural talent
6 4%
9 6%
0. Both the same
26 18%
40 27%
2. Dedication
65 45%
Voters: 146.
Page 1 of 2
Dedication of course.

Only complete retards fail to learn guitar, basically every bassist then......
Talent is only the product of dedication.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Quote by Dog454
Talent is only the product of dedication.

Quoted for truth.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
Quote by Lateralus17
Dedication of course.

Good luck with ever being in a decent band dude ^^
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by Lateralus17
Dedication of course.

*reported*

99% of the time, all this 'talent' stuff is BS. The greats dedicated their lived to playing, and it payed of after many years.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
You can practice ten hours a day and learn all the theory there is to know, but still lack in the creativity field. That part requires talent.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
jimi hendrix
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
I don't really think there is such thing as natural talent, because it's more about learning than ability to start with.
Dedication. What's the point of natural talent if you don't use it OR enhance it?

:edit

Turtle, I think natural talent means that you pick it up faster then anyone else. For instance; Playing rythym comes really easy to me. I hear a song, and I can play the rythym. For most of the people around me, they need to take the time to have it taught to them or sometimes just can't get it all all. The point of dedication is, why waste my gift with rythym just playing Nirvana or something, when I could be using it to do much more with practice.
Last edited by fob12 at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by Dimebag Dave
You can practice ten hours a day and learn all the theory there is to know, but still lack in the creativity field. That part requires talent.

which you get through practice at it...
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by gm jack
*reported*

99% of the time, all this 'talent' stuff is BS. The greats dedicated their lived to playing, and it payed of after many years.

your reporting him for discriminating bass-players?
dedication will lead to talent, that's all there is, there aint no more.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by EdawMail

Just general idiocy actually.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I've been debating this with myself for some time now.

Prince is extremely talented with musical instruments, if you've ever hear him play guitar. But I'm sure he wasn't nearly as dedicated with the guitar as some of the other guitar legends.
:stickpoke
so John Paul Jones is an idiot? John Deacon, the man who wrote Another One Bites The Dust, is dumb? (btw Deacon has a university degree, so up yours, Lateralus17)

without talent, dedication will get you only to the land of pure speed; a.k.a. boring show-off.

without dedication, talent is wasted.

a balance of the two, with some other stuff thrown in, will in most cases lead to an at least decent guitarist.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by EdawMail

No idea why he reported me, although I can't say I'm suprised knowing some people on here.

It was a JOKE, lighten up.
What the **** do you think?

My outburst had something to do with the fact that "natural talent", in the context of which you use it, means nothing at all. What you are trying to say is how easily someone picks up things or learns things. This has nothing bearing to "natural talent", its just someones learning curve, which will be directly affected by their dedication.

Therefore, Natural Talent => dedication.

/thread
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
The truly talented don't play guitar, actually they don't play at all.

...They compose classical music.
For some people the natural talent comes AFTER dedication. What's you get rolling, no one can stop you if you know what I mean.
Quote by Sol9989
which you get through practice at it...

Just like Danno13 just said, creativity can't be learned.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Quote by Dimebag Dave

I know about that, this one dude is extremely fast with the sweeps- his solo was really smooth but it severely lacked soul and rhythm and it sounded blah, sometimes you just got to have some musical talent.
Quote by gm jack
Just general idiocy actually.

lol so true, the comment was ignorant to say the least. I dont really care about bass players, but to say that all of them are second rate guitarists is insulting towards them. Im sure John Paul Jones, John Entwhistle of The Who and Flea might argue that.
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
with dedication, you become the musician to aspire to be, and with talent, you become the musician you are
Both.
Talent alone will take you nowhere.
But talent will make the difference if you put a lot of dedication.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Lateralus17
Dedication of course.

douche

I say both equally for the most part. It takes dedication to get really good in your technique, but a natural feel for music to make it sound good. Having some natural talent also means learning faster in most cases. But to sound like Petrucci or Satch or Jaco, that's all dedication.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Jan 30, 2008,
I think a Combination Of Dedication & Soul/Taste makes a great guitar player. I dont believe in natural talent just hardwork.
RAW ROCK KILLS!- ShowBread
Hello, My name is Armando and im your bunny
dedication, but some people do find it easyer then others, no matter how much they play. But this could be from stuff like hand size, strengh etc
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by Esp_kill07
I think a Combination Of Dedication & Soul/Taste makes a great guitar player. I dont believe in natural talent just hardwork.
You don't artists have natural talent?
Quote by Dimebag Dave
Just like Danno13 just said, creativity can't be learned.

so you write your first song. it consists of C, D, G and E minor. it's very simple but it's a start.

from there, you start including more chords, you start to realise what chords sound good together and what chords give the desired effect.

is that not learning creativity?
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
I'd think dedication is. Because someone can have natural talent but hate playing and not put anything into it. But if you dedicate yourself to your music, even if you don't have natural talent, then it shows a great appreciation for your instrument of choice.
tumblr | twitter | instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
C'mon people...
Talent is just an excuse for why you suck even though have played for 3 years, and the other guy rocks even though he has only played for 2 years.

Its ALL about dedication! But really I couldnt care about what you think...

If you want to rock, then rock!
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
Quote by gm jack
*reported*

ooo reported.. get a life there tough guy
Hell, I don't know a damn thing about guitar theory, I can't even read one the articles about guitar theory without completely losing interest 1 whole minute in- but I always seem to come up with catchy melodies every day, I have half a book full of tabs I wrote myself and all of them are catchy or sound good in some way(or else I wouldn't have wrote them down)
Quote by Sol9989
so you write your first song. it consists of C, D, G and E minor. it's very simple but it's a start.

from there, you start including more chords, you start to realise what chords sound good together and what chords give the desired effect.

is that not learning creativity?

Not in the same sense. Think Dragonforce versus Metallica. Herman Li could walk up and down Hammett, but Kirk's solos still sound cooler IMO. TTFATF has cool solos...but the solos rest of the album sound just like them. MoP, in comparison...well you get the idea.
Nope, no sig here.
Page 1 of 2