Say what you prefer and why.

In case you do not know,
Close Micing is recording guitar or bass (or other things) using a microphone to record your amplifier. Needs a decent microphone to sound good, as well as
(or course) a good sounding guitar and amp. Also takes some experimenting to find good volume settings on amp, microphone level, etc.

Direct In is recording guitar or bass by plugging it in directly into the computer's sound card. Im led to believe this is more common for bass than guitar, but im not sure.
This does not require a microphone or amp, but some kind of virtual amp or effects program to give tone.

I like Close micing.
ive tryed going direct in from my guitar and ive never been a big fan. It just sounded weak and dull with no real tone. Even after adding effects and amp models. It didnt sound strong in my mixes, and not professional at all. I like the sound of micing an analog amp, rather than applying a digital amp model. I have a microphone that cost $50 and i can get way better tone by micing my line6 amp than plugging in. I still do use effects from my mixing program more than the amp. I think my main problem with direct in, is that the virtual amp digitally applies the tone of an amp model, and using a real amp sounds so much better. I dont have a problem with digital effects though, and dont see digital effects as worse than ones on my amplifier.
I can't afford a good mic and sound box and all that so i just run from my amp's headphone jack into a 1/4 inch 4 in 4 out M audio box lol no amplitube required, just amp, guitar, and sound card box thingy (not actually sure what its really called). Of course you will get a nicer tone if you mic your amp, and much more depth to your tone, but this requires a lot more money and a lot of time fooling with eq, distortion, mic setup, blah blah blah
Quote by imnotcommunist
lets make an emo song!!
first play same 2 power chords over and over
have a breakdown every 10 seconds
cry and whimper
dont forget the hair over one eye
and the depressing lyrics on how your teddy bear died!
Both.

I miked up my acoustic a month ago, stereo condensers with a close-up Sennheiser 421. Wouldn't you know after 4 hours of recording, no right channel!

Of course.

Direct in to the rescue...

I simply played the direct channel REALLY LOUD into the room (twice) and recorded new left and right channels one at a time, each with a slightly different position.

No direct and I'd have been stuck with mono - or re-recording a miked channel (okay, but still...)
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Direct in for bass is much more common, but you can achieve a tone just as good if not better if you mic a good bass amp and cab. It has to be done properly, but when it is it sounds wonderful.

I've always had much better results mic'ing guitar cabs than any software, but I haven't tried the latter much so I guess I can't rule it out completely.
RJman, ive tryed doing that, but i did it direct into my laptops sound card, and it would have sounded fine i guess, except it was really quiet with lots (lots!) of fuzz. maybe it was my ****ty sound card, i dont know. Im buying an external sound card, and thats why im asking this, because i have to decide between line6 and something else. The main attraction of the line6 is that it has digital amp models (which reviews said were good) but im not sure ill like them. It also has a lot of effects which i would love. but the other sound card is better im pretty sure, but has no amp models and effects
and even direct in for bass doesnt seem to be that great. It isnt really bassy, and has no tone.

Ive considered maybe my sound card just sucks to much for direct in, but ive heard others recordings that used direct in and i didnt like it either. As far as i can tell, almost always professionals will mic.
You need to realize that "direct in" to a crappy consumer sound card is LIGHTYEARS UPON LIGHTYEARS away from what you can achieve with a proper DI, preamp, and recording setup, tone and quality wise.
Quote by MrPillow
You need to realize that "direct in" to a crappy consumer sound card is LIGHTYEARS UPON LIGHTYEARS away from what you can achieve with a proper DI, preamp, and recording setup, tone and quality wise.

That is most certainly true, but I have used Direct In with a quality Mac and Digidesign 002 Firewire interfaces, and I still found it really lacking.

Whenever I have used anything other than mic'ing guitars, I have found the results shockingly disappointing.
There is poetry in despair.
A Digidesign 002 has nothing close to the components found in DEDICATED bass/guitar DI boxes, and dedicated isntrument preamps.

Digidesign preamps aren't exactly that great.
Hehe, ok. But I have used DI boxes and instrument preamps also, in a decent studio, and it's just not to my taste.
There is poetry in despair.
Is there any way to record the tone from my amp's speakers without a mic? Like as if there's a function that sends a signal after it's been through the speakers? I use my RP 250 with adobe audition to record via USB and while it's pretty decent, it doesn't sound anything like my mesa (which is at least 10x better). I tried pluggin' the line out on another amp and all it does is record the preamp. Will it work in the FX Loop?
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
I've found with my acoustic which has a decent pickup system (Godin Quantum) that the direct tends to amplify a lot of noise, string shrieks, rates, etc. This happened both with my usual setup and at a studio that I used to record most of my CD. So now I just go dual mics. I run the bass direct in but it is kinda of a whimpy sound and I have to EQ it a lot to get it sounding good. Next session I'm going to try recording the bass off of a mic'd amp to see if I can get a better sound.

Tony
if you got a pod, or sumthin similar, its so easy to direct out that, but no good if u hate the line 6 sounds.
but if u do like the sound, it sounds just as good as through an amp.
but with a decent mic, and amp, mic'ing is so much better and just as easy after you got the hang of it