I have a recaiver that sounds great when I play my guitar through it quietly. However, I am afraid of playing loudly because it would likely destroy my speakers. Could I hook up my reveiver to a guitar cab, by speaker cable? Or would I have to make a custom cab?
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
You could hook it up to a guitar cab.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
true
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
But could I use stereo cable? Or would I have to line out? I don't have a cab, so I don't know what the input is.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
What makes you think you're going to blow the speakers?

You're not playing any booming bass or screaming treble (the stuff that usually blows speakers)

The guitar fits right down the middle of the frequency range of music, and is really not extreme in either direction.

I'd crank it up a bit and see how it sounds. You should be able to tell if its cracking and it sounds like its gonna blow.

Does your receiver have a phono (record player) input? That would put you closer to a instrument level input, I think... and you wouldn't have to turn up the volume much at all. (in fact, you should turn it down before plugging that in if it has it)

The phono should be higher impedance, more like a guitar amp input. (and a lot louder at lower volumes)
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Last edited by zeroyon at Jan 31, 2008,
yeah but if its an extremely old speaker, they are known to pop on occasion. I say just run a speaker cable to your guitar cab.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
If its not blowing when playing regular music through it, I don't see how plugging a guitar into it will magically blow it up.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
I don't think it'll blow your speakers unless you transcend their power capability, or generate spikes like plugging in/unplugging with the volume all the way up.