Hi all, any hints or tips on strumming patterns for songs, or is it just listen and trial and error ? trying little by little by oasis as my next song, my guitar teachers just writes them down for me normally but i also want to pick it up for myself. thanks in advance..
Well first of all, make sure you stay in tempo. You should try easy songs with a signature like 4/4, 2/4, 3/4, etc. and trying strumming once for every beat. Then you can try up-picking on the upbeat or whatever it's called.
With strumming your hand never stops moving. Ever.

When you down or up-pick you are simply making string contact (versus just moving silently over the strings as you actually do most of the time.)

Downs are the quarter note beats, ups are eighths (the ands), generally. Unless you're double time (fast), then it's eighths and sixteenths.

In other words:

One-and-two-three-and-four-and-

is translated as:

Down-up-down-down-up-down-up-

As usual knowing how to read and count music is helpful.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With strumming your hand never stops moving. Ever.

When you down or up-pick you are simply making string contact (versus just moving silently over the strings as you actually do most of the time.)

Downs are the quarter note beats, ups are eighths (the ands), generally. Unless you're double time (fast), then it's eighths and sixteenths.

In other words:

One-and-two-three-and-four-and-

is translated as:

Down-up-down-down-up-down-up-

As usual knowing how to read and count music is helpful.

+1