Hey y'all thanks for reading. Anyway for homework in Engilsh class we have to write an introduction to an essay on intelligence. We cannot use I,me, you etc. I have no idea on how I can do this can someone help me out?
It's simple. Just discuss and refer only to the subject, don't use a narrative voice.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Instead of saying something like, "You can tell...etc etc," say, "One can tell...etc etc," replacing the word "you" with "one." That way it's still in third-person.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
state websters dictionary's version of the word, stay third person and expand on the deffinition in your own words. That form of bull got me through college, I call it websters bull!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by therealtater
Okay but what about "I"

one can mean i

also, in scientific literature you always say 'we' even if you did it all yourself.
na, don't say I. Don't even put yourself in a position to say I. This is an essay, you need to explain things, this has nothing to do with you.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
My english teacher always says that if your name is on the top of the paper, then everyone already knows it is your opinion, so state something as fact. Instead of saying "I think that it is obvious that...", just say "It is obvious that...".
dont put yourself into it
Some people are born with natural intelligence, and other have to strive for it, many may see this as unfair, 'who chooses who is gifted and who is not?' But there are pros and cons to both being blessed and to being forced to try one's hardest.
bam
Quote by ValoRhoads
na, don't say I. Don't even put yourself in a position to say I. This is an essay, you need to explain things, this has nothing to do with you.

+1 and agreed on using "one", it can replace just about anything referring to you and/or others, just try staying on topic and not giving personal thoughts that require saying "I", "me", "we", etc.
I breathe air.
okay well I got most of the paper typed here it is

What exactly is the definition to intelligence? Many people have asked this question, and for everyone the answer is different but everyone can agree that the three basic needs of intelligence are education, experience, and common sense. For example, an educated person is considered more intelligent then a person who is not, but what if that un-educated person has more experience doing something then the educated one, who is more intelligent then? What about a person with more common sense then another is he considered more intelligent?

how am I suppose to write a thesis statement for this?
Last edited by therealtater at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by stephen_rettie
dont put yourself into it
Some people are born with natural intelligence, and other have to strive for it, many may see this as unfair, 'who chooses who is gifted and who is not?' But there are pros and cons to both being blessed and to being forced to try one's hardest.
bam

There is your essay introduction.

There are many types of essays some of which you can say I, such as personal essays.

The one your teacher is asking you to write is a Formal essay, where you shouldn't use contractions (I did not, instead of I didn't) and you shouldn't use any words which refer to yourself.

If I may ask what grade are you in? im guessing 8.
Quote by ValoRhoads
state websters dictionary's version of the word, stay third person and expand on the deffinition in your own words. That form of bull got me through college, I call it websters bull!

LOL
+1 here
i think about my life,
and the midnight highway...
the life of a renegade
king

Member #7 of the I Love Hayley Williams Club! PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to Join
My teacher lets us use those. However I've been taught not to. Just write it without oppinions, no bias etc. Because then it quickly gets turned into an editorial. It's really not that hard not to use those.
Quote by floppypick
If I may ask what grade are you in? im guessing 8.

nah 10th actually we have to do a writing test in march that decides if we get outta school or not and my other teachers just touched on essays but didnt really explain them so yeah Im kinda screwed rite now
Quote by therealtater
okay well I got most of the paper typed here it is

What exactly is the definition to intelligence? Many people have asked this question, and for everyone the answer is different but I think that everyone can agree that the three basic needs of intelligence are education, experience, and common sense. For example, an educated person is considered more intelligent then a person who is not, but what if that un-educated person has more experience doing something then the educated one, who is more intelligent then? What about a person with more common sense then another is he considered more intelligent?

how am I suppose to write a thesis statement for this?

A thesis is pretty much an argument. It is the sentence saying what the essay is going to be about.

"In the book Robinson Crusoe, the main character discovers being alone can be a good thing."

For an essay I had to write I used a thesis similar to this (some minor changes)
Hope I helped.
Quote by therealtater
nah 10th actually we have to do a writing test in march that decides if we get outta school or not and my other teachers just touched on essays but didnt really explain them so yeah Im kinda screwed rite now

Oh, haha sorry, I figured grade 8 because thats when we first touched on essays. I'm in grade 10 as well so..yeah..

sorry for double post..
Quote by therealtater
What exactly is the definition of intelligence? Many people have pondered this question, and for everyone the answer is divergent. For example, an educated person is considered more intelligent than a person who is not, but what if that uneducated person has more experience than the educated one? Who is more intelligent then? What about a person with more common sense than another? Are they considered more intelligent? The three basic needs for one to have intelligence are education, experience, and common sense.

There, I edited it for you. Moved around a few things and grammatical errors etc. The last sentence is your thesis.

I remember having to take what was called the AIMS test (I think it's exclusive to Arizona though) in March, in 10th grade and that also determined if we were to graduate high school.

Also, like said above you can state the webster's definition of intelligence but you may have to do a little rewording. If you do go that route definitely put the definition right after you ask "what is the definition of intelligence?"

Also, www.thesaurus.com is your friend, use it to increase your vocabulary and make yourself sound smarter. Try not to use the same word more than once or twice in a paragraph (obviously excluding words like "the" or "and"). Sometimes when you're writing about a particular subject it's hard to do but it's good practice to have a large vocabulary at your disposal.

Hope that helps.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by Op3th at Jan 30, 2008,