All right, I just bought a copy of the original Half Life for PC, but when I put in the disk and try to play, it keeps telling me to insert the disk and the game won't play. This is very disheartening because I've been waiting for the game to get here all week. Help?
go to http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php and download Steam. Then it'll ask you for your CD key and all that, and the entire world of Half-Life will be in your hands (ie You'll be able to play online and such.)

That'll work. I have no clue what's going on with your game though.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
do you have steam?

if you have steam just register the code from the HL box with steam and you can download the game from steam and you'll never need the CD at all ever (it's really small, doesn't take that long to download)

EDIT: I had HL1 since its release, just HL1, when I put the code into steam it mistook it for 'half life gold edition' and I got the blue shift and opposing force expansions for free plus alot of online stuff like counter strike and team fortress.
Quote by Vermintide
And here I was hoping this was about the decay of radioactive nucleii.

You're not the only one.
I forgot,
is the original Half-Life more then one disk?

If it is you probably need to insert the first disc rather then then one you finished the installation on.

Great game by the way.
Quote by superunknown
I forgot,
is the original Half-Life more then one disk?

If it is you probably need to insert the first disc rather then then one you finished the installation on.

Great game by the way.

Nah, it's just one disc. Ah, the good old days of single-CD games . . .
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
like the first few people have said, you need to download steam
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by Chickenparts
Please help, whenever I click on steam it doesn't do anything, start up or otherwise. Please Help.

did you install it right? it may be updating itself if you just installed it, so it might look like its doing nothing
Steam probably has to update a bit before it starts. Try restarting your system if nothing works.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Quote by John W
Steam probably has to update a bit before it starts. Try restarting your system if nothing works.

That, and steampowered.com has pretty intense forums & faqs, if I recall correctly. Just browse through, I'm sure like 12 billion people have had the same problems. Note that once open, Steam will pop up on the right side of your start-menu bar. If there's like a gear, you're good to go, if there's a small gear with some dots, it's connecting or downloading or doing something else.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Do people still play Half-Life online? I bought the game a few days ago as well and was thinking about downloading steam, but wasn't sure if anyone still played it.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Quote by spartan 118
Do people still play Half-Life online? I bought the game a few days ago as well and was thinking about downloading steam, but wasn't sure if anyone still played it.

You may as well download steam. Then you can buy their games directly online, and experience the wonder of it all. I think some people still play Half-Life, I mean, I played on some TFC servers last year (probably one of the less-popular big mods) and there are def. still people playing, and hacking on Counter-Strike.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by spartan 118

half-life itself doesn't have an online feature, but counter strike is still sold in the steam online store, so I imagine there are still servers for it (my counter strike isn't fully installed atm so i can't try it out 4 ya)
Yeah it does, it's called Half-Life Deathmatch Classic.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.