Is there any way to preserve my frets so they dont wear away?
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Frets will start wearing out no matter what, or how expensive the guitar is. And they are not made out of cheese so don't worry they won't wear out in an hour
Don't play your guitar??

Nah... In all seriousness, Clean your fretboard when you change strings. And condition your fretboard with some lemon oil periodicly. That's about it. Not much you can do for the frets. Just take care of it.
Last edited by SloppyJoseph at Jan 30, 2008,
Best way not to notice things like that is to play your guitar like hell and once it's all around worn-out then you won't even think about those frets.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by Gäbe
Best way not to notice things like that is to play your guitar like hell and once it's all around worn-out then you won't even think about those frets.

lol...

but seriously...im asking because my guitar is a lot of money and i wouldn't want to replace the frets.
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
geez, i wouldnt worry about wearing down your frets, as frets only need replaced every 5 years or so, not really a big concern

if you cant replace them without decreasing the value of the guitar a lot then basically you have to not use the guitar often, as frets will wear down eventually
you might have to accept that your guitar isn't going to look brand new forever. embrace the vintage look when/if it happens
Quote by AndyH
you might have to accept that your guitar isn't going to look brand new forever. embrace the vintage look when/if it happens

SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Quote by gruenburger

oh boy, what guitar are you talking about? And TS, expensive guitar or ****ty ass cheap guitar the frets will wear out eventually

on some guitars it will take about 10 years, and some about a year or two
Quote by sum_ugly_man
oh boy, what guitar are you talking about? And TS, expensive guitar or ****ty ass cheap guitar the frets will wear out eventually

on some guitars it will take about 10 years, and some about a year or two

1967 gibson sg...

do you think I should buy a ****ty guitar to learn on and mess around with?
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Quote by gruenburger
1967 gibson sg...

do you think I should buy a ****ty guitar to learn on and mess around with?

No, IF you don't want fret wear, then don't play the guitar at all, just let it sit in the corner of your or put it in a showcase or something.

I told you before, frets are going to wear out eventually. Doesn't matter if you are just learning or what. Even the most experienced guitarists will come across fret wear. And dude its not that expensive to replace the frets. And I don't think you should see any fret wear for a couple of years. And after that it still won't be any massive damage or anything.
Quote by sum_ugly_man
No, IF you don't want fret wear, then don't play the guitar at all, just let it sit in the corner of your or put it in a showcase or something.

I told you before, frets are going to wear out eventually. Doesn't matter if you are just learning or what. Even the most experienced guitarists will come across fret wear. And dude its not that expensive to replace the frets. And I don't think you should see any fret wear for a couple of years. And after that it still won't be any massive damage or anything.

Yaaa...hmmm

damn
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
They'll wear down eventually if you play the thing. Polishing them when you change strings is supposed to help make them last longer though as it slows the formation of those little dents you see on really worn frets. You can always get them crowned and leveled before replacing them entirely too.