Page 1 of 2
I've been playing for a little over 1 year now and something has really been bothering me.......i've been tryin to learn the fade to black solo for awhile now, and i'm slowly getting it, but there's one part thats pretty fast and pretty tough(for my standards) and it's really been giving me some trouble.....now i kno eventually with practice i'll soon master this solo..... but this is what bothers me....as i've been searchin' around the UG forums, i've noticed that Fade to Black is categorized as an easy song and that many people claim that they mastered the song in about 5 months of picking up the guitar....am i not practicing enough or are these people bluffing???(no offense to those who learned the solo in 5 months lol)
How much do you practice? I learned that song after about 5 months of playing as well. All I can tell you it to practice, practice, practice.
While looking at a guitar magazine with some friends.

Quote by Kaleb
DUDE! Is that a Mel Gibson?!

Quote by boreamor
Don't you understand the importance of correct spelling and grammar? It's the online symbol of maturity. And you as sure as hell don't have that.
if you play 4 hours a day sure you'll play in 5 months or less....if you play hlaf an hour or less...just leave it and do something more useful
Quote by Sinforsale

"How can you even understand that?" my friend told me it sounded like a Donkey was getting raped by a giant panda bear.
thats actually the first full song that i learned, i was able to play it in 2 months. But i practice probly about 4 to 5 hours a day.
couldnt do that one for the longest time until i got guitar pro. learned in it aout 10 minutes
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Guitar Pro is great for learning for sure. I've been playing 3 months and it really helps to be able to slow the solo down and really listen to the notes. Looking at the actual notes also helps.

I usually work with a metronome and Guitar pro. I start slow, then faster and faster until I either get it or realize that it might be something to learn in a few months, lol.

Quote by dcdossett65
couldnt do that one for the longest time until i got guitar pro. learned in it aout 10 minutes
Dude I started playing in mid August, Fade to Black was my official first song learned like a month ago lol

The reason why I wanted to learn it is b\c it sounded awsome and not too hard
Last edited by Steel8909 at Jan 30, 2008,
don't worry about it and don't compare yourself to other people, just keep practicing. its a good piece to learn, reasonably quick but not bad. listen to the solo a lot so you have it pretty much memorized, that should make it easier to figure out.
dude ive been playing for 6 years and just now did i learn how to play those solos... of course all the practice and technique ive had made it very easy to pick apart... work on your developing your ear, and finger strength and speed, and it will not be hard at all, just gotta get the coordination in them fingers
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Eh, for the most I would say 99% of the people here are bluffing you. I want a guitarist that's been playing 5 month to record Fade to Black from start to finish. There might be a chance of them playing it, I don't know, however for someone who has been playing longer it should be easy(ier) to pick up.
a lot of people bs on here, cause no one will every be able to truly call them on it.

it isnt a big deal if you cant play it man, just keep practicing

some people , including myself at times, play/practice for 4+ hrs a day...so maybe if you want to compare youself to something, compare yourself to how much they practice, and how much you practice.

just my input of the day lol
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
No one is the same, thats why you should compare yourself, i haven't got the attention span or time to play 5 hours a day, i usually play half an hour a day, but later on, i will start practicing for 2-4 hours
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
It tooks me like 3 years playing to get it down that song, although sometimes i screw up here and there. Don't worry about other players, just like you said, if you practice enough you'll master the solo and that's what matters and the end of the day.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by JustinT80
thats actually the first full song that i learned, i was able to play it in 2 months. But i practice probly about 4 to 5 hours a day.

sry sounds like crap.

FULL? youtube video to prove me wrong please. but then again you couldve played for 5 yrs and say u played for 2 months.

anyways, fade 2 black has like 3 solos. intro, middle solo, and the super grand finale solo that has lots of solos
I was only playing Dammit after 5 months. Half the people on UG do bull****. people reckon they learnt Eruption by Van Halen in 2 days.
just took another look at the fade to black solos, and to be honest they really arent that challenging.

you can easily be playing these solos by maybe even month 5 or 6, but what it really boils down to is what kind of things you practice. you may be great at rhythm parts, and didnt realize you could have been playing solos.

a lot of people assume solos and sweeps and stuff are too hard, when they arent. they take practice just like anythng with guitar.

my buddy just started guitar 3 months ago and he can do fluid, and we're talking fluid, 3 string sweeps, and relatively decent 5 string sweeps. Not at cooley speed, but quite fast for someone of only 3 months.

WHY? because thats what he practices. he plays bodom licks and stuff, and TBH it is working wonders for him. he doesnt limit himself.

my best advice is to really CHALLENGE yourself early on. I wasnt sure if him starting to sweep so early would work out, but he kept at it, and only at month 3 of guitar can do better sweeps than most morons at year 2. He didnt start fast, he started slow with a metronome and just keeps at it. hes patient.

be ****ing patient, but at the same time, make sure you are challenging yourself appropriately.

gl man
the guys who claim they can play it after 6 months are probably responsible for all
the terrible versions of the solo on youtube
Quote by Martin^roll
the guys who claim they can play it after 6 months are probably responsible for all
the terrible versions of the solo on youtube

+1.

New guitarists all become infected with the 'prodigy syndrome'. They think they are way better than they really are.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
You shouldn't worry about how good you are, especially while your still learning all the basics. Now if you've been playing for like 3+ years and you can't play fade to black, then that is a problem. Pick out the parts in the song that trouble you and pratice them alot. Or you could practice an exercise that will help develop that technique you are struggling with. My guess is that you are struggling with your alternate picking, which is normal for 1 year guitarist, especially when you start out playing metallica songs with mostly downstrokes. Just pratice as much as you can, everyone hits a wall in their playing sometimes, you just gotta push yourself over it.
I still can't play either solos after two years...Practice your scales and arpeggios with a metronome until you can go through them pretty smoothly in 16th notes at a medium speed.....It helps with your ability to solo a ton and the faster you can play those scales smoothly the better....Don't focus totally on speed though, it's accuracy you want....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The tricky thing when being new is developing good picking techniques. For instance, take the quick part in the first solo, I was struggling with it forever and really tried to come up with the right way to play it. When I finally did develop the right technique, everything went so much easier.

Meh, just keep practicing and you'll eventually get a hang of it
I started learning this in September, I can play it all including solos - but I can only play the really fast part of the last solo at about 75 percent speed.

I used Guitar Pro, and my ear. I practice about 2 hours a day, but I didn't practice at all in December. I've been playing about 3 years all in all. This article helped me somewhat http://tomhess.net/articles.php?article=34 when learning the solo. It is really boring, but it works.
Both solos in that song drive me nuts and I've been playing for over 9 years

I can actually grab-ass the end solo pretty well, its the opening solo (Where there is no room to cover up with grab-ass-dom) that gets me. That one part towards the end where there is a 6 or 7 fret stretch in a fast run...Gets me every time
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
lol i kind of feel bad for a lot of you.

if i had been playing 3 years and couldnt play that solo id be quite upset lol.

I guess I just hold myself to a higher standard.
I've only been playing for a year and i can play the whole song except the last solo
I need to get up finger speed

But keep working at it and you will get it
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Quote by breadstick
+1.

New guitarists all become infected with the 'prodigy syndrome'. They think they are way better than they really are.

Exactly. 90% of guitarists don't know about making a note sound really good, vibrato?
Quote by nvranka
...if i had been playing 3 years and couldnt play that solo id be quite upset lol...
I guess I was too busy working on other things like writing my own music instead of struggling to mimic someone else
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
It all really depends how much you really wanna learn it.If you really wanna learn it,you ll succed eventually.It doesn't have to do much with the time you spent playing your guitar.The only positive aspect of being playing for a long time is that you should learn it more quickly and correctly then if you were a beginner.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
The main solo ain't that easy. Although that said the only parts that make it hard are the 3 string sweeps. The intro solo is reativly simple, I learnt it in about half an hour, I only just started attempting the main solo tonight. Tbh it's very easy other than any sweeping stuff. I reckon I could nail it by the weekend though.

Either people on here are talking shite or I'm an awful player, I've been playing for abput 18 mothes and I find the main solo quite challenging, although it could be a lot harder.

First solo I ever learnt was Beast and Harlot, I was playing just over a year when I learnt it.
After 25 years I still struggle with a few things. Practice time is one of them and the other is what BS other guitarists will spew. Learning music is different for everyone. For me it has always been practice practice practice. work WORK WORK! Then practice some more. My bro back in the day had perfect pitch and could learn songs faster then anyone I've ever known. Used to pi** me off.

Seriously,4-5 hours a day for 3 months. You'll get it then. When I run into a lick I have trouble with it will be the only thing I'll play till I get it. Just keep practicing
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Yeah dude dont worry, anyone who said they can play it @ 5-8 months is bs you. And if they do i guarantee they are thinking like ( oh hes talking about the intro solo meh thats easy)
The intro solo is, in fact rather basic, the difficult part COULD be the ONE PICK 5 notes (12^10^8-\-7^8^7) , and the little sweep part ( you can pick it )
The second small solo is farely easy.
And the last,ending solo is really a motherf****r and the secold half of it is really something, especialy the

------------7------------------
--------------------10^7---
---9fb-----------------------

If you dont bar the 7 fret over the E and B, it honestly takes quate some skill to do this right.

BTW: nice choice though, learn it, its a masterpiece, if you learn this I'd say go for RTL next.
Last edited by DocArunas at Mar 9, 2011,
Quote by simmsicle
The main solo ain't that easy. Although that said the only parts that make it hard are the 3 string sweeps. The intro solo is reativly simple, I learnt it in about half an hour, I only just started attempting the main solo tonight. Tbh it's very easy other than any sweeping stuff. I reckon I could nail it by the weekend though.

Either people on here are talking shite or I'm an awful player, I've been playing for abput 18 mothes and I find the main solo quite challenging, although it could be a lot harder.

First solo I ever learnt was Beast and Harlot, I was playing just over a year when I learnt it.

Ty to refrain from bumping three-year-old threads.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Ty to refrain from bumping three-year-old threads.
ugh. I don't understand why people do that. I didn't even notice.
It's especially annoying when people do it to my own threads.

I forget the word they call it.
Quote by TechnicolorType
ugh. I don't understand why people do that. I didn't even notice.
It's especially annoying when people do it to my own threads.

I forget the word they call it.

Necromancy/necrobumping?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Sorry didn't even notice how old the thread was, just found it on a google search. Got to solo down no problem anyway now.
Page 1 of 2