Page 1 of 2
As I've been browsing the forums, I've noticed that it seems that a vast majority of users in the "music and bands" forum seem to head towards the metal section. What do you like about this music? I'm honestly curious..I figure that I'll get a lot of intelligent replies from the die hard fans so...that's the question.
The same question can be applied to any type of music, not just metal.

It's really hard to tell, I find that I prefer the "rawness" and complexness that the genre has to offer.
interesting guitar/bass/drums/vocal work in the songs
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
Talent, heart, passion, intelligence, vastness, musical ability, unique music.....

There too much really to list.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
At this point I just love the sound of metal, and I'm too tired to explain that well at the moment. But, I got started listening to metal because blues and rock wasn't challenging anymore, and metal offered something special from a guitarist's point of view.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Metal has the greatest variety of emotions found in the music.

It also probably has the greatest variety of sounds, even if it all sounds the same to the untrained listener.
From someone who's not a fan, don't you think that someone could be skeptical when you say it has things such as: "Heart, Intelligence, Aural Pleasure" etc. when you hear screaming and fast and distorted power chords?

Could you maybe give an example of these sounds that an untrained listener like me are missing?
Last edited by Shackman10 at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by Shackman10
From someone who's not a fan, don't you think that someone could be skeptical when you say it has things such as: "Heart, Intelligence, Aural Pleasure" etc. when you hear screaming and fast and distorted power chords?

Could you maybe give an example of these sounds that an untrained listener like me are missing?

Haha, I liked the edit...

Not all metal is just fast distorted power-chords.

I'll give you a few examples, hold on.

http://www.myspace.com/agalloch

http://www.myspace.com/devintownsenddtb

http://www.myspace.com/opeth

http://www.myspace.com/ayreonauts

http://www.myspace.com/wintersunrocks

http://www.myspace.com/necrophagistde

Meh.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by Shackman10
From someone who's not a fan, don't you think that someone could be skeptical when you say it has things such as: "Heart, Intelligence, Aural Pleasure" etc. when you hear screaming, fast and distorted power chords, and the same people who enjoy metal often are more violent or unstable (please don't think I'm saying you all are but I'm sure you can think of some)

keep in mind though that UG is a guitar centered forum, and metal is one of the genres that's extremly guitar oriented in it's sound. I personally think that has something to do with the activity found in the metal forum compared to any of the other music forums
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by Shackman10
I edited because I didn't want to offend anyone.

Yeah I know.

Bad things happen when you offend people in the metal forum..

Quote by Shackman10

Your using your ears wrong then.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Proably because I play guitar, and at a basic level I like agression and speed. Hence I gravitate towards thrash metal.

If I didn't play guitar I'd probably like random punk and classic rock stuff. Guitaring has impacted my music taste immensely. That said, I do like other stuff, for different reasons. Currently I'm collaberating with a friend on a thrash metal / house sound Think Call of Ktulu mixed with Around the World by Daft Punk.

Look out for the "Metal House Project" in future, you knew that guy on teh intarwebs!
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Talent, heart, passion, intelligence, vastness, musical ability, unique music.....

There too much really to list.

+1. Metal has the most emotional value of any genre I've ever heard.

And to your "it's all just screaming and distorted cords" thing, equate it to reading a book.

To the casual reader, and those unfamiliar with his works, The Sound and The Fury by Faulkner is the most incomprehensible, incoherent, jumbled, jagged, ridiculous piece of anything ever written. Anyone new to it or looking for an easy read would put it down after the 2nd page of nonsensical rambling. But when you sit there, and analyze it, and dissect it, and look as deep as you possibly can into the text and its meaning, you'll make progress. You'll see the pieces fall together, and it will all start to flow, and the heart, passion, complexity, intelligence, and emotional intensity it contains will start to shine through, and it becomes easy to decipher, and you'll never look at anything the same again.

That is what metal is to me.
Quote by Vermintide
Proably because I play guitar, and at a basic level I like agression and speed. Hence I gravitate towards thrash metal.

If I didn't play guitar I'd probably like random punk and classic rock stuff. Guitaring has impacted my music taste immensely. That said, I do like other stuff, for different reasons. Currently I'm collaberating with a friend on a thrash metal / house sound Think Call of Ktulu mixed with Around the World by Daft Punk.

Look out for the "Metal House Project" in future, you knew that guy on teh intarwebs!

I'm going to want to hear that, as I love both songs. I've been meaning to do something similar but I don't know much about electronic music.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
I think it's the fact that metal has so many little niches and subgenres - there's literally something for EVERYBODY.
Quote by metal7690

And to your "it's all just screaming and distorted cords" thing, equate it to reading a book.

To the casual reader, and those unfamiliar with his works, The Sound and The Fury by Faulkner is the most incomprehensible, incoherent, jumbled, jagged, ridiculous piece of anything ever written. Anyone new to it or looking for an easy read would put it down after the 2nd page of nonsensical rambling. But when you sit there, and analyze it, and dissect it, and look as deep as you possibly can into the text and its meaning, you'll make progress. You'll see the pieces fall together, and it will all start to flow, and the heart, passion, complexity, intelligence, and emotional intensity it contains will start to shine through, and it becomes easy to decipher, and you'll never look at anything the same again.

Metal can convey emotion very easily....From very clean opera like vocals singing of fantasy with piano and guitar chords to Screaming and growling about a brutal murder with heavy distorted riffs and thundering drums.....

You have to listen to Metal a little to appreciate it.....My mom allows me to listen to the XM radio station for Metal and at first she said it all sounded the same but now she's picking up small variations of the sound....Like she commented on Children of Bodom's coloful guitar work when I got one of their CD's and was listening to it.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm a musician too. I have a recording of my little band in the riffs and songs or w/e it's called section. It's the title "me and my band"

I'm taking theory lessons and all that jazz, but even as a musician I still do not find anything stimulating about the gutteral yelling of the vocalists and the super fast guitar riffs.
Quote by Phill-Rock
I'm going to want to hear that, as I love both songs. I've been meaning to do something similar but I don't know much about electronic music.

We're in the early stages. We're planning on getting a decent home studio setup going and we'll record 3/4 tracks for a demo. Of course, I shall put a UG group up and let you know when we're getting there We'll probably be on our feet by the summer.

We have some pretty good plans for publicity and suchlike though. There's something good here, I can feel it.
Quote by Shackman10
I'm a musician too. I have a recording of my little band in the riffs and songs or w/e it's called section. It's the title "me and my band"

I'm taking theory lessons and all that jazz, but even as a musician I still do not find anything stimulating about the gutteral yelling of the vocalists and the super fast guitar riffs.

Well none of us are going to magically enlighten you, trust me. Soooo stop asking.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by Shackman10

It's an acquired taste, to be sure. If you try to jump right into stuff like Cannibal Corpse, you won't get very far. Most people start with bands like Metallica or Black Label Society or Iron Maiden, and move into the more extreme bands later.
Quote by Scourge441
It's an acquired taste, to be sure. If you try to jump right into stuff like Cannibal Corpse, you won't get very far. Most people start with bands like Metallica or Black Label Society or Iron Maiden, and move into the more extreme bands later.

+1

Unless you're one of the lucky bastards that can just hop right one the metal train, most people need a 'catalyst' of sorts to boost them over the edge into extreme metal territory. For me it was Amon Amarth and Opeth. Beforehand, I cared for nothing metalwise beyond the odd Metallica/Pantera listen, and now I can safely say I like and can listen to with ease most of metal's subgenres.

Quote by metal7690

metal7690, i love you man. that was brilliant, nearly brought a tear to my eye. tell that to all the ignorant people that think metal is just made up of unintellectual barbarians that just like beating each other up to uncomprehensible, loud, distorted music.
Quote by Scourge441

True dat.

I'd say it's almost like a downward spiral. You gradually start getting a taste for heavier and heavier music. Then one day, those gutturals aren't THAT bad. If you let it continue you'll stop washing your hair, and draw the curtains in the day as you listen to Necrophagist. Before you know it you'll be hungrily seeking out those few albums which have the exact balance of heaviness, melodicness, and vocal style you like.

Personally I can listen to just about any genre, but I get bored if it doesn't have enough speed, good/frequent enough solos, the suchlike I always find a flaw in otherwise great music that means I simply can't like it.
Last edited by Vermintide at Jan 30, 2008,
Cue the Manowar songs!

The gods made heavy metal, and then they saw that it was good!
They said to play it louder than hell, we promised that we would!

And now seriously, you might not like metal apsects the same way that a metal fan won't like techno's aspects, whose fans might not like blues music, whose fans might not like country and so on and so forth. It's not weird to like or dislike a music genre.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by Shackman10
As I've been browsing the forums, I've noticed that it seems that a vast majority of users in the "music and bands" forum seem to head towards the metal section. What do you like about this music? I'm honestly curious..I figure that I'll get a lot of intelligent replies from the die hard fans so...that's the question.

energy and emotion
my path to metal was pretty weird.

first i liked country (age 7) because my sister listened to it...then she moved to pop, so i followed (age 11), then she moved on to rap....i said f that...but i had also been listing to Green Day, Blink 182, Staind, Linkin Park...that and older stuff classic rock, blues, oldies...i kinda always had that influence.

then the bands i listened to kept getting heavier(age 14)...Korn, Disturbed, Saliva, Mudvain...SLIPKNOT...and there it is....the catalyst...Slipknot...teenagers around the world rejoiced...a really heavy sound with screaming vocals, and cuss words...

...3 years later...and slipknot sucked...they got to popular, i started getting into heavier bands...Killswitch Engage, Chimaria, Cradle of Filth (it was hard to like it...but i did).

Then some guy at work let me borrow a cd mix...needless to say, this mix introduced me to so much metal...Power Metal- Stratovarious, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody...Melodic Death Metal - Arch Enemy, At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames...then from there it grew.

my cd collection went from 30 to 400...the more i played guitar the more faster, technical, brutal, heavy music i wanted.
It's here whenever I need it. Good day, bad day, it never judges, tells you you should be happy..

It's just there.
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
I listen to metal because of the guitar work, the bass work, the drum work, the amazing vocals, the pure intensity, the enjoyment to my ears, the passion that goes into making the music, and the talent that makes it sound so amazing. Metal is unexplainably phenomanal (sp?) and I am in love with it hahahahah.
Quote by metal7690

Genius. Beutiful. Orgasmic.
You win metal7690, you win.

Quote by Quantonyne
my path to metal was pretty weird.

first i liked country (age 7) because my sister listened to it...then she moved to pop, so i followed (age 11), then she moved on to rap....i said f that...but i had also been listing to Green Day, Blink 182, Staind, Linkin Park...that and older stuff classic rock, blues, oldies...i kinda always had that influence.

then the bands i listened to kept getting heavier(age 14)...Korn, Disturbed, Saliva, Mudvain...SLIPKNOT...and there it is....the catalyst...Slipknot...teenagers around the world rejoiced...a really heavy sound with screaming vocals, and cuss words...

...3 years later...and slipknot sucked...they got to popular, i started getting into heavier bands...Killswitch Engage, Chimaria, Cradle of Filth (it was hard to like it...but i did).

Then some guy at work let me borrow a cd mix...needless to say, this mix introduced me to so much metal...Power Metal- Stratovarious, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody...Melodic Death Metal - Arch Enemy, At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames...then from there it grew.

my cd collection went from 30 to 400...the more i played guitar the more faster, technical, brutal, heavy music i wanted.

Almost the exact same path I took, the only difference is that Shadows Fall was what got me into metal back when I was still a Nu-metal fag.
Quote by Baboom
It's here whenever I need it. Good day, bad day, it never judges, tells you you should be happy..

It's just there.

Like alcohol

Everyone who's posted in this thread (other than TS) wins. E-Beers all around, my treat!
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
Your view of metal is a very shallow one by what you have posted so far. I don't mean it as an insult, but you honestly can't expect to get a revelation about the genre when you haven't even acquired the taste to listen to it yet.

It's like generalising that:
- Classical music is just cheesy, major scale melodies played in many layers of stringed instruments.
- Jazz is just random chromatic chords with no logic or order.
- Punk is just a constant stream of power chords.
- Classic rock is just mediocre singers over tonnes of chorused guitars and synths, with a bit of pentatonic wank in the middle.
- Shred is just a constant stream of 16th notes at a hight tempo playing sweeped arpeggios in overused baroque progressions.

- Metal is just screaming over down-tuned guitars with blast-beats...
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by nebraskan
Genius. Beutiful. Orgasmic.
You win metal7690, you win.

I would sig that but I'm afraid mine is already too big haha.

Thanks though.
HA HERE THAT ****ERS?

I won something!
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
Quote by Shackman10

Different subgenres cater to different ideas and sounds. Some focus on complex musicianship and intense sound (death metal, as a general example); Progressive metal explores the musicianship aspect, black metal tends to focus more around lyrical ideas/themes and atmospheric sounds (a lot of it is quite raw obviously, but still has atmosphere), doom metal is the progression of metal towards the slower spectrum of metal, and gears often towards more melancholic/dark/depressing themes.

Metal is meant to challenge the listener, obviously not an easily accepted or understood genre of music when it comes to the mainstream scene, but the variety of themes, ideas and sounds tend to make it the most rewarding genre. When you talk about passion, you can usually hear it in the vocalist's voice, or the way the instruments are played. Just like a distortion is a sound a guitarist uses, screaming is merely a technique, and the quality/passion of the delivery often lies with the vocalist.

Like, for example, when I listen to Walknut or Dissection, I can hear the uninhibited fury in the vocalist's voice, and I get chills because they affect me on such a level, where as when I hear say, new Satyricon, the vocals and music don't have the same kick or energy, therefore don't affect me as much. All it will probably get out of me (and many others who had the misfortune of hearing it) is a yawn.

It's pretty hard to describe "aural pleasure", seeing as it's subjective, but to me it's when the music affects you, and influences your emotions. There's nothing like hearing a really great riff being played, or listening to a black metal record that evokes strong imagery and exercises your imagination...

Anyways, sorry y'all for the essay... There's too much more to list, but surely that'll do for now

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I begun with the beatles and whatever my dad would listen to then some girl that stayed at my house liked the red hot chilli peppers from then I eventually found System of a Down's Toxicity and I have always been keen of "darker" melodies.. happy sounds never did much for me for some reason then I heard Avenged Sevenfold's Remissions and Unholy Confessions on the cable music channels I loved it, then I looked them up and got whatever I could, eventually I lost my internet and was left powerless ish... somehow I got into megadeth later on when my internet came back then I progressed into slayer... with now a big slayer fan my friend invited me to a concert of theirs.... where his brother introduced me to arch enemy and at the gates then I just wandered on by myself

I dont really like alot of metal music, I have my own little world and I do not even call myself a metal head... I enjoy nostalgic and dramatic melodies akin to those in classical music as such as Vivaldi's Summer and Winter themes, or Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata's nostalgic first movement or the fast as hell third movement just amazing melodies...

I enjoy good lyrics and emotional intense vocals as well as I love some o fmy favorite's band alternating of types of screaming as well as inventive riffs and melodies yet none stranding into happy sounding things, I love depressive music... but if its too slow I'll prob just dont like it... I cant really describe exactly what my music taste would be or how I would like something given that I listen to Classical and Melodic Death Metal mostly... and not the popular/known at all... alot of it is watered down **** with poppy leads and keyboards and hardly riff work... ... I like riffs... with melody and intensity, even slow ones are okay when done properly -according to my tastes- and um ye... pretty much I cant tell you exactly why...

What I found on the music that I like is just... amazing emotion and melodies... that stay on the darker side of emotions... sorrow sadness nostalgia grief... just branches of sadness... as well as others... I just know happy sounding music repels me greatly... though I like some classical techno remixes but otehrwise... its a "meh" thing... so its not metal I like but just that most of what I listen to is metal... I wont like something cause its metal in otherwords... and I cannot give a **** about what people think is essential... I say **** classic rock/metal, **** maiden, **** hendrix, ... uh well... **** wintersun DUH... **** scar symmetry hahaha ... and a bunch more... I dont care for behemoth AT ALL... and I think Amon Amarth is quite overrated... anywho!... whatever :\
How the listener relates to the music is what matters. Metal comforts people in a lot of ways popular music doesn't. Everyone can relate to the aggression because life is hard at one point or another for just about everyone.

That's why popular forms of music are disliked in the metal scene; there's nothing real about them. The only message the artist has is, "Hey, look at my nice cars, hot women, and easy-going lifestyle!" It's just not believable, it's just an image.

I mean, only someone as cool as me could have that lifestyle, anyway.
There is no end to creation.
Page 1 of 2