what is the difference between a tube amp and a regular amp? and which would be best for an epiphone les paul 100?
"reguar" amps use semiconductors to run electricity to the speaker, tubes use vacuum pressure
YES IT DOES, NOW GTFO AND READ.

Are you illiterate? GO READ IT NOW!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Tube amps have vacuum tubes that make the sound (hence the name tube amp), like how all the old radios and electronics were made back in the '50s. They are more fragile and the tubes need replacing every once in great while. The tubes give a warmer, rounder tone, which is great for blues. When you crank the volume of a tube amp up, it sounds better than it would when it's volume is lower, and you get natural overdrive, and in some cases, full out distortion.

Regular (solid state) amps are mostly digital, and because of that, some amps like Line 6 Spiders and the Marshall MG series are laughed at because they sound too fake and digital (basically like crap).

EDIT: and try using the search bar more often this question is asked a lot.
tube amps are better a good starter tube amp would be the epiphone valve jr.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Quote by strat335
Tube amps have vacuum tubes that make the sound (hence the name tube amp), like how all the old radios and electronics were made back in the '50s. They are more fragile and the tubes need replacing every once in great while. The tubes give a warmer, rounder tone, which is great for blues. When you crank the volume of a tube amp up, it sounds better than it would when it's volume is lower, and you get natural overdrive, and in some cases, full out distortion.

Regular (solid state) amps are mostly digital, and because of that, some amps like Line 6 Spiders and the Marshall MG series are laughed at because they sound too fake and digital (basically like crap).

EDIT: and try using the search bar more often this question is asked a lot.

thats what I said
it aint about whats best for your guitar man, its about whats best for your sound/budget. Tubes have a much better tone, the best amps are tube amps plain and simple, but some metalers still use solid state amps (which use transistors instead of tubes) to get high gain sounds easier.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
ok i understand what a tube amp is now but what would be good for my epiphone les paul 100?
oh yeah and tubes = expensive
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
A tube amp is an amp that uses tubes and what you call a "regular amp" is actually a solid state amp, and usue transistors in place of tubes. Tube amps were the only amps to use until the 80s when they caught on, but tube amps have always been used by professionals and amateurs throughout the history of the electric guitar. A majority of people think they sound superior for cleans and distorted tones.
edit: Tube amps are not really more expensive than solid state, nor are they high maintenance, or particularly fragile.
edit2: For GnR and Led Zeppelin you might want to look into a Peavey Classic 30 or a Crate Palomino Series.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Last edited by RHCPfan01 at Jan 30, 2008,
well then now were talking budget, how much ya got?
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by Xgamer1224
nothing above $250

do u have any effect pedals? if u do try the epiphone valve jr. combo. or save up a bit more money for a nice fender blues jr. basically if ur going tube u want anywhere between 5-15 watt class A combo tube amp. but keep in mind tube amps are expensive and anything under 500 is a pretty good deal.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
if you are totally serious about playing guitar, then seriously think about getting a tube amp. Nonexpensive tube amps are hard to come by, but some good ones are the Epiphone Valve Junior, and Fender Pro/Blues Junior. If you're just a beginner, then you might want a solid state amp. I'll let someone else recommend you some good solid state amps, as I'm not too sure about some of them.
You don't seem to knowledgable about this stuff and you have a limited budget so I think something no frills like a Roland Cube would be fine for you now. They are very versatile, and if you don't know what a tube amp is I doubt you would really be able to tell the difference between a tube amp in your price range and the Cube.
12 fret fury
Crate V8, Peavey Royal 8, Blackheart Little Giant. Those are all in your price range and provide better tone than any starter SS amp. They will be as loud as a 15-20 watt SS amp and won't crap out about 5 on the volume knob like an SS amp would.
+1 on the blackheart, have a look at it.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by Punk Poser
You don't seem to knowledgable about this stuff and you have a limited budget so I think something no frills like a Roland Cube would be fine for you now. They are very versatile, and if you don't know what a tube amp is I doubt you would really be able to tell the difference between a tube amp in your price range and the Cube.

Very true, but a tube amp no is no frills and will benefit him now so he won't feel the need to upgrade in the near future.
Yeah totally, a nice sounding small tube amp is the best thing for a beginner (im assuming u are, if not, sorry) they sound rich and warm and it will be an inspiration to play through. No one wants to learn their first chords through a squire sp-10!!! Although the roland microcube is a bitchin first amp.....
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by Xgamer1224
nothing above $250

5 watt crate palomino V8 $200 at guitar center I got one for Christmas and I love it
Last edited by therealtater at Jan 31, 2008,
Quote by therealtater
5 watt crate palomino V8 $200 at guitar center I got one for Christmas and I love it

I thought those dropped down to $159? Either way, the TS can afford a nice overdrive or fuzz along with that amp if he decides to get it.
they were $200 at guitar center like a day before christmas but I havent been back so idk oh and I also go the Boss Overdrive/distortion pedal to go along with it so u mite wanna check that out TS