e 12---------
b ---12-----
g-------12
d
a
e

If you want to sweep pick that, would you bar your finger across the 12th fret, or roll three fingers?
Bar it. It leaves your other fingers free to add on to the arpeggio.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
You might want to "piano roll" it with 3 fingers or barre it. It really just depends.
I know I've seen some really good players say they prefer to piano roll it for
much better articulation of each note. A barred finger roll will still tend to smear
the notes. I usually would barre it and roll my finger because I like to have the
free fingers.
the roll will sound nicer, but stop you from adding on anything cool
but fingerpick the roll instead its better tone than sweeping in my opinion
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Archeo Avis
Bar it. It leaves your other fingers free to add on to the arpeggio.

agreed
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
the roll will sound nicer, but stop you from adding on anything cool

if you start with your ring finger (12th fret G), middle finger (12th fret B), and index finger (12th fret E), your fingers WOULD be free to add on to it... and you wouldnt get the muddiness that you would if you barred it. that fingering is a little awkward, of course.. but im sure with practice it wouldnt be that bad (though if youre trying to sweep faster than yngwie youd probably be best off barreing it, as at that speed you probably wouldnt have time to hear the muddiness of the barre).
Last edited by Guitar_Poet at Feb 1, 2008,
Quote by Guitar_Poet
if you start with your ring finger (12th fret G), middle finger (12th fret B), and index finger (12th fret E), your fingers WOULD be free to add on to it... and you wouldnt get the muddiness that you would if you barred it. that fingering is a little awkward, of course.. but im sure with practice it wouldnt be that bad (though if youre trying to sweep faster than yngwie youd probably be best off barreing it, as at that speed you probably wouldnt have time to hear the muddiness of the barre).

i wouldn't normal sweep pick anything anways finger picking or altenete sound so much nicer
but asumming he would roll that way he would only have 1 finger to add not including his thumb
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
hahah, who ever thought of playing that with 3 fingers
the answer is both rollign and barring, like anyone would, because it sounds best, you don't have to tangle your fingers getting completely out of position, have your other 3 fingers free, and it can be done higher up the neck (i doubt you'll get 3 fingers on the same fret a little more up) now i can't think of 1 single advantage of using 3 fingers, those who say it sounds better ain't rolling (the barre) well..
true, this way you won't be able to really legato it, but that tends to sound a little weak, and you can make it sound just as fluent actually making it legato.. besides, most dynamics come from the pick(ing hand) in sweeping anyway, and you can still make it sound whatever way you want..

it'll take a little bit more time, but i think i stated enough pro's for this one con. to be forgotten
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Last edited by Funkicker at Feb 1, 2008,
Quote by Funkicker
hahah, who ever thought of playing that with 3 fingers

It's not so funny. As I said above, I have very definitely read that a number of
virtuoso players totally prefer doing it that way for the better articulation. In this
case it's pretty dependent on the situation.
Quote by edg
It's not so funny. As I said above, I have very definitely read that a number of
virtuoso players totally prefer doing it that way for the better articulation. In this
case it's pretty dependent on the situation.

aight, well it just sounds a little odd to me, partly because i can't do this, and i find the rolling quite easy.. and the articulation (for me atleast) comes mostly from the picking hand in sweeps.. and well that way you basically have the same dynamical options.. finger-articulation can sound amazing in lines, but i find it unnecessary in a weeped arpeggio..

and say it did give you more dynamical possibilities , i'd still go for the barred roll in most cases, for the reasons i've just named..

anyway, i hope no offence was taken, because i had no sch intention.. i just have never hear from this, haven't seen anyone doing it, so you might understand it sounded very strange, and it did amuze me.. anywya, no pun intended
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
you could also combine the two, as in... index finger 12th fret G, pinky 17th fret G, index finger 12th fret E. im not saying this is the best way to play it, but its a viable answer to the "rolling it" idea.

edit: my guitar isnt around (being fixed), so i got ahold of an acoustic today... its really hard to roll it smoothly and efficiently.. its probably not worth practicing it. do a bar/roll type thing, like others said.
Last edited by Guitar_Poet at Feb 2, 2008,