For some reason or another, I end up writing all my songs in the tuning of D. I write the real riff in E, and the lyrics, then discover I can't sing them in E so I detune to E. I can sing and play alot of stuff in E (Muse, Radiohead etc -- bands that sing high). However, for my own songs, I always go lower. Do you know of any other bands that play in D that arent shred? I think Weezer playes in Eb, not D though.

Any other comments? Idk I'm just thinking too much I guess, music is music.
how could changing the tuning possible affect the sound of the song? you mean you're changing the key

There are bands out there that stick to one key most of the time when they're writing music, personally i think you'll notice the sound staying too simular from song to song. Everyone has keys they sing better in, but with practice you should learn to sing in the key of Eminor or Emajor with comfort.. if not, maybe you shouldn't sing?

while playing in drop D has its advantages doing it for every song isn't a good idea, it's going to limit what you can do no matter what.
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
how could changing the tuning possible affect the sound of the song? you mean you're changing the key

There are bands out there that stick to one key most of the time when they're writing music, personally i think you'll notice the sound staying too simular from song to song. Everyone has keys they sing better in, but with practice you should learn to sing in the key of Eminor or Emajor with comfort.. if not, maybe you shouldn't sing?

while playing in drop D has its advantages doing it for every song isn't a good idea, it's going to limit what you can do no matter what.

Sorry, Im not playing in drop D, DGCFAD is the tuning. I can sing fine if i sing it lower in the tuning of E, however I want to sing the higher key so I tune to D so I can hit the higher notes. I don't know how to explain much, if you listen to the song You and Me in my profile its written in the tuning Im talkng about (and I think I sing fairly high in it)
oh, well either way you're just more comfortable hitting higher octave notes in the key of D as opposed to E ;/ you can practice and most likely overcome it, but yes you should try and break the habbit
Im sorry im asking so many questions, but this all relates to my original. Is it really a bad thing?
well uhh.. yeah?

it can only expand your sound to get comfortable singing in every key, you will notice it sounding limited if you're playing every song in the key of Dminor or whatever you're chattin about doing, downtuning every string on the guitar
I think it is fine. Really you're just playing what you'd normally play 1 step lower to suit your voice, there is nothing wrong this, and ignore the guy who said if you can't sing in standard to not sing at all. Every singer's voice is different, there is no problem with this.

The only thing I think it MIGHT affect is the tone of your guitar, you may get a heavier sound, but this could be a good thing.
Quote by Paquijón
I think it is fine. Really you're just playing what you'd normally play 1 step lower to suit your voice, there is nothing wrong this, and ignore the guy who said if you can't sing in standard to not sing at all. Every singer's voice is different, there is no problem with this.

The only thing I think it MIGHT affect is the tone of your guitar, you may get a heavier sound, but this could be a good thing.

See I think I could find the same chords in different fingerings in standard, but I didnt find them and I thought it sounds good in D. I realize the sound is a bit heavier, but hell, who cares. Im playing an acoustic so a little depth to my sound can't hurt I guess.

The song I wrote that I recorded is in E but high up on the neck. To get those high notes I think i'd practically have to be freddy mercury or something.
I'm not saying don't write songs in the key of D, im not saying don't downtune your guitar to get a cool sound for a few tracks.. im saying dont just go "i cant sing in E im just gonna play in a completly different tuning forever".. why don't you just practice and get to where you do feel comfortable singing in that key..