Page 1 of 2
Well I haven't noticed that there is a big drum thread so I thought I would start one since my famous threads got deleted.

talk about:

1. Favorite Drummers
2. Favorite Brands
3. Brand VS. Brand
4. Drum set-up and help
5. Post pics of gear
6. list your gear
7. drummer jokes
Last edited by devin_g94 at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by razorback_al_31
I have the same Sabian XS Crash and Splash, the other crash one closest to camera looks like an XS aswell. Is that true?

sounds good because i have the xs hihat and its not bad so...
The drummer in my band has a terrible sounding bass drum. It sounds too high and completely off.

It's a new kit.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by myself101
The drummer in my band has a terrible sounding bass drum. It sounds too high and completely off.

It's a new kit.

well then tune it down cuz your drummer probly thinks tuning drums is like like screwdriving lol. and put a pillow or 2 inside.
so anyone have the hhx evolution sabian crash? i got one lightly used and signed by dave weckl. its pretty sweet.
Quote by Infatuation
Who needs drummers? The vocalist can do it by clapping his hands.

If you're in a folk band

I LOVE playing drums, I've been working on complicated double bass beats recently

unfortunately I can only play on the days my band has practice.
I think I saw a thread like this awhile ago, but it got closed.

Here

Ludwig Accent CS Custom Fusion sizes - Birch
Zildjian Armand 20" ride
Zildjian new beat hats 14"
Zildjian A custom crash -14"
Sabian XS20 crash - 16"
Zildjian A custom splash 10"
Zildjian A vintage 18" flat ride
Last edited by Turd_Ferguson at Jan 30, 2008,
Hm, ok. The guy doesn't know much about drums (he just started so he could be in my band...) but do you guys know of any sites that would be of help to beginner drummers? Like with tuning and putting the blankets in.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by myself101
Hm, ok. The guy doesn't know much about drums (he just started so he could be in my band...) but do you guys know of any sites that would be of help to beginner drummers? Like with tuning and putting the blankets in.

www.ultimate-drums.com

haha, jk.

But seriously, www.onlinedrummer.com is another pretty good forum. The Drum Tuning Bible also helps. http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/
Quote by Doppelgänger
*goes into thread hoping for drummer jokes*

Awww...

we can do that. i will add it
Quote by aaron6890
any recomendations for cleaning cymbals? mine are filthy, dont ask me how, and normal soap and water isnt helping.

theres a cymbal polish called lizard spit. i got it and my cymbals look awsome. you just put it on like car wax
Quote by devin_g94
brand vs brand:

sabain vs. zildjian

Really can't compare cymbal brands. They're just different, neither is better. Everyone has their own opinions about cymbals.
Finally a decent drum thread that doesn't destroy my computer. I'm looking for advice on double foot work. My double foot must have something wrong with it, or its just crap. I've been playing drums for about seven months now and I recently had this awesome single foot pedal which I had been borrowing off the drummer in my band. But one day he decided to take it back, which is fair enough of course, and give me his double foot instead. He didn't get along with it, wasn't his thing. But it is my sort of thing, so I was chuffed! Free double foot pedal!
Now the damn thing is hard, I know, it takes time and effort but I feel like I'm going backwards with it!
The main problem is the stiffness of the springs. Your feet are supposed to bounce in the air after each blow, but this just stops dead. You need to use so much force that after a few bursts of clumsy rattling, my feet are about to fall off with the energy I had to exert.
Is it the springs and can they be replaced with softer ones? Or is it me? Does this happen to everyone? Or do I need to buy a new pedal?
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Finally a decent drum thread that doesn't destroy my computer. I'm looking for advice on double foot work. My double foot must have something wrong with it, or its just crap. I've been playing drums for about seven months now and I recently had this awesome single foot pedal which I had been borrowing off the drummer in my band. But one day he decided to take it back, which is fair enough of course, and give me his double foot instead. He didn't get along with it, wasn't his thing. But it is my sort of thing, so I was chuffed! Free double foot pedal!
Now the damn thing is hard, I know, it takes time and effort but I feel like I'm going backwards with it!
The main problem is the stiffness of the springs. Your feet are supposed to bounce in the air after each blow, but this just stops dead. You need to use so much force that after a few bursts of clumsy rattling, my feet are about to fall off with the energy I had to exert.
Is it the springs and can they be replaced with softer ones? Or is it me? Does this happen to everyone? Or do I need to buy a new pedal?

well you can adjust quite a few things in the springs with a drum key. if you are just a weakling, you can buy weights for the pedals that really help with speed.
Quote by devin_g94
7. drummer jokes

What do you call a useless member of the band?

The guy who doesn't do anything.

Thought I was gonna make a drummer joke, didn't you?
Quote by ldl67
Drummers can operate computers?

no...............
Quote by devin_g94
well you can adjust quite a few things in the springs with a drum key. if you are just a weakling, you can buy weights for the pedals that really help with speed.

I can't imagine its because I'm a weakling'. I used to do cross country running, ran for miles at a time. I've messed around with it as best as I can with a drum key as well by the way. I was thinking of taking the springs off and giving them a good tug to loosen them up. But that was more of a 'had to much to drink and was getting annoyed' idea.
I use Paiste cymbals and a Tama Swingstar or one of the Pearl Export kits (not too good with Pearls) depending on where I practice, I feel like I've hit a limitation on how much I can actually do on the kit now, I don't use double kick (I can, before you say anything, s'just the band don't much like it). So any tips on how to give me a new challenge? preferabley without adding extra toms, just techniques and stuff, cheers.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Quote by Kiffa
I use Paiste cymbals and a Tama Swingstar or one of the Pearl Export kits (not too good with Pearls) depending on where I practice, I feel like I've hit a limitation on how much I can actually do on the kit now, I don't use double kick (I can, before you say anything, s'just the band don't much like it). So any tips on how to give me a new challenge? preferabley without adding extra toms, just techniques and stuff, cheers.

well tell us what you do know. you can always get better.
Quote by garden of grey

question!! i notice that your hi-hats are very far apart. i know that if you step on the pedal, you get the closed hi-hat sound. but how do you get an open hi-hat sound? sorry i'm a drum noob.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by devin_g94
well tell us what you do know. you can always get better.

Well it's kinda hard to describe what I do know, I've been playing for 4 years, uhh, I really can't get much further than that.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Any marching band drummers?

I was bass one last year on the drumline and plan on making snare this year.
You close the hat with the pedal connected. What I don't understand is how to people use both the high-hat pedal AND the left foot on a double kick pedal?
Brainwave...I can kinda describe the way I play, only I have to compare, I'd say I'm a lot like Matt Sorum, only not as good.

Quote by AngryGoldfish
You close the hat with the pedal connected. What I don't understand is how to people use both the high-hat pedal AND the left foot on a double kick pedal?

Sorry for double post, people use a drop clutch, you tap a little lever on the clutch itself and it closes the hi-hat, someone could probably explain better than that.

Edit: They guy below me explained it better, listen to him.

Last edited by Kiffa at May 18, 2008,
Quote by AngryGoldfish

Drop Clutch...

If you want the high hat closed sound and then for it to open on a different part of teh song you step onto the hi hat pedal and it switches over. Is that what you were referring to?

EDIT: beat to it lol
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
No I mean when I try (fail) and play with the double kick pedal, I am forced to loosen the high hats with the key all the way and then tighten it again so that it is closed permanantly, therefore my left foot is free to use the left kick pedal. But what I don't understand is how you get a good sound out of that closed high-hat without adding your foot to it. There is not enough pressure exerted on it for it to be closed fully, so you still have a very raspy sound that is associated with open high-hat sounds.
All the drummers who use double foot, and then revert back to the high-hat really quickly, how do they switch over without messing with the system you have set?
What I'm trying to say is, how does one use both the high-hat pedal AND the double kick pedal?
Lol, you silly bugger

Page 1 of 2