Page 1 of 2
I've finally saved up enough cash to get the guitar I've been drooling over for some time now: Fender American Stratocaster (maple fretboard, 3-tone sunburst finish).

However, it's such a lot of money ($2000 AUS) to be spending on an electric guitar, and I'm not 100% sure if it's worth it.

What say ye?
some of them are some of them are not.

Fender and Gibson can make 10 of the exact same guitar and maybe 3 out of the 10 will be very well made...the others will be poor for the price they cost.

it depends..you have to play the instrument yourself, to realise weather its a good example of that specific model you are looking for.

the most noticable sloppyness from fender..on lots of fender deluxe's i have played in shops is the Neck join onto the body...huge gaps, chipped mounting cavity.
With fender i prefer to go used... It saves you alot of cash and there just as good as new... Also anything on or before 1995 seems to have better electronics due to some trade agreement with parts....
Teles For The Win
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Before you decide on the American made. Go and play it for awhile, not just 15 minutes try and sit and play it for a good 30 to 45 minutes if you can. Have the sales guy play a little on it, try different amps with it, try it with pedals to get effects you like.
Now once you do this then try the Jimmie Vaughan Tex Mex Strat. It is made in Mexico but is a WELL made guitar. Do the same as above with this one. The price on a Vaughan Strat is around $600. I live in Nashville and alot of these are starting to show up in sessions. You could get this plus a great amp and alot of other accessories for 2 grand. But don't take anyones advise without hearing the guitar you wish to buy. Your the one that needs to be happy with it and play it. Good luck and have fun.
Almost forgot, in case you don't know who Jimmie Vaughan is he is Stevie Ray's older brother and the founder of the group The Fabulous Thunderbirds.
Last edited by JohnnyNash at Jan 30, 2008,
it depends on each individual guitar. This guy i know got a crappy American. What a loser
I say yay, but have a look around to see if you can find a decent used one if you want to save some dough.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
No way.
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
If you have that kind of money, why not go out and get yourself a US-made Rickenbacker? They are great guitars for lots of different styels of music, last forever, and hold their value.
American strats are amazing guitars. I was at a guitar store today and I played two guitars a Jackson RR24 and an American strat. I could not believe how much better I played on the strat. The strat and the Jackson were almost the same price (the Jackson was $25 CDN more). But the strat is a much better guitar imho (MIA instead of MIJ like the Jackson).
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
Quote by RhoadsLivesOn
American strats are amazing guitars. I was at a guitar store today and I played two guitars a Jackson RR24 and an American strat. I could not believe how much better I played on the strat. The strat and the Jackson were almost the same price (the Jackson was $25 CDN more). But the strat is a much better guitar imho (MIA instead of MIJ like the Jackson).

If it were me, I'd think the exact opposite. Its all about preference. Its really stupid to compare guitars as different as a strat and randy rhodes jackson.
Imo american strats are definitely worth their price tag. They are well-made guitars and sound really good too. I know that a lot of people will say that fenders, gibsons, etc are a toss up quality wise, but I have yet to experience a poorly made high end strat. Ive played both of the new 08 standards that the guitar center near me had on display and both sounded/played amazing. None of the other american strats i have played had any noticeable flaws or quality issues. Sure some of them were badly in need of a setup, but thats to be expected. For a little less than $1000, i really don't think you can go wrong with the new american standard if you want a strat
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
If a strat is what you want, then an american strat is really the way to go, especially if you have the funds. The difference between the American and Mexican Strats is much more signifigant then say the differnce between a good epiphone and a gibson, however, i have two suggestions about buying an american strat, one was said above, and that is to try and buy used, because in general, older strats are better then new ones, but if you want to get a new guitar, definatly be sure you are getting one of the new '08 models because they look ( i havent gotten a chance to play one) much better then the american standards of the past few years.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
It depends. If you like strats, plan on keep it for a long time, and are good enough to feel, see and appreciate the difference on the American line, then yes - get it. It will be worth every penny to you at that point.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by decadence5423
If it were me, I'd think the exact opposite. Its all about preference. Its really stupid to compare guitars as different as a strat and randy rhodes jackson.

True, it depends a lot on what you're used to and I was shocked when I found the strat much more playable, but I wasn't comparing them. If I was I would have said the strat has three passive single coils compared to the Jackson's lone active humbucker. I only said that the strat played a lot better and was MIA instead of MIJ.

And please don't call me stupid when you call an RR24 a Randy Rhodes Jackson. Learn to spell a fallen legend's name especially when that certain legend's name is properly spelt in the Username of the person you just called stupid.
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
Last edited by RhoadsLivesOn at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by deathbyawesome
If a strat is what you want, then an american strat is really the way to go, especially if you have the funds. The difference between the American and Mexican Strats is much more signifigant then say the differnce between a good epiphone and a gibson, however, i have two suggestions about buying an american strat, one was said above, and that is to try and buy used, because in general, older strats are better then new ones, but if you want to get a new guitar, definatly be sure you are getting one of the new '08 models because they look ( i havent gotten a chance to play one) much better then the american standards of the past few years.

Wow, I wouldn't say that (edit - unless you're talking about the Elitists since people seem to rave about their quality). In terms of build quality a higher percentage of American ones seem to be very good but there are many very good MIM Strats as well. The real difference is features like the pups, six vs. two point trem, number of body pieces, etc. The MIM stuff is well made though.

You're 100% right about buying used. There are tremendous deals out there if you don't need to have a brand new guitar. The new American Strats also got rid of the ugly blocky saddles which is a huge visual bonus IMO.
Quote by RhoadsLivesOn
I wasn't comparing them. If I was I would have said the strat has three passive single coils compared to the Jackson's lone active humbucker. I only said that the strat played a lot better and was MIA instead of MIJ.

And please don't call me stupid when you call an RR24 a Randy Rhodes Jackson. Learn to spell a fallen legend's name especially when that certain legend's name is properly spelt in the Username of the person you just called stupid.

I said you were stupid? Where? I said it was stupid. And if you weren't comparing them then what was the point of bringing the Jackson into it? Fail.

Edit: This crap above (in quotes) is slightly off topic. I'd say play the American and Mexican ones, and if you don't think theres a difference, then you've answered your own question.
Last edited by decadence5423 at Jan 30, 2008,
f you got the cash, go and try it, and try some other stuff too, you might end up getting something better and cheaper,

or maybe you'll feel happy with the quality of the MIA and you'll get it
Quote by apak
it depends on each individual guitar. This guy i know got a crappy American. What a loser

Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
An American Strat is a good guitar. These days if you go out to the Fender web site you see lots of different strat options. You can go three single coils, one humbucker two single coils, etc.

My advice - do alot of research and take your time. Be aware that a guitar needs to be set up properly. Pulling a guitar out of the box and giving it a try for the first time without considering the set up is hasty. You don't want to be hasty, you're spending alot of money.

I own a mid 90's American strat plus and its a good guitar. My friend has a mexican made strat and he loves my American strat. We've traded during some jam sessions and there is a difference for sure.

One prior poster made an excellent point. Try more than one of the same guitar model. Each guitar is an individual. The pieces of wood used on the guitar are unique. Like cars, there are lemons.

You should be able to get a good strat when you hit the $1000.00 mark. A good American Strat will rival any guitar out there. It may not be the absolute best guitar you can buy, but its a good guitar for sure.
after learning on a squier anything is worth the price tag :-p
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by johnnypark30
I've finally saved up enough cash to get the guitar I've been drooling over for some time now: Fender American Stratocaster (maple fretboard, 3-tone sunburst finish).

However, it's such a lot of money ($2000 AUS) to be spending on an electric guitar, and I'm not 100% sure if it's worth it.

What say ye?

Most Mexican standards are very similar in terms of body woods/necks etc.

We know pro players in town who buy mexi's for $450-$600 CDN (depending on the rarity/limited edition status of them), and then buy grover tuners ($40-$70 CDN for a set) and Fender Noiseless/Texas Special pickup sets etc for about $200 CDN and upgrade the guitar. So for about $800 CDN taxes in you're looking at the same thing that costs about $1290 taxes in.

I'd recommend trying several out and see what you think. The smoothest neck I ever played on is my godin redline that I paid $389 for, and even though I love my hellraiser, the person who made that neck on the godin should be making their top line stuff as far as I'm concerned.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Ive played a couple of american Teles and have always been impressed.

I think american Fenders in general are very good...
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
i dont think it worths is price
you should buy a cheaper guitar
really what makes a guitar sound damn good is the player
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
As a reference, I've had both. My 94 MIM was my first strat, and I loved it. Changed the pickups, got a pearl pickguard, and it was my workhorse for a few hundred shows. It played and sounded great.

When I got my first American (98), I noticed a lot of differences - ones that I didn't pay attention to before, but now noticed since I had this nicer MIA strat. The list is big, but the main ones I can think of were: pickups, next, quality of wood (straight grain vs crooked plywood looking grain, body wood, tuners, quality of wiring and jack, unplugged tone (which translates to plugged in tone), bridge, fret edges (or lack of them).

Yes, the MIMs are nice, and I still use mine often, but there is a big difference in the details and quality of the MIAs. Ones that only a few will care about or notice, but differences in any case.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Yeah. Go ahead and buy the mexican strat. And then later on you can sell it for almost nothing and get the American strat. Because they are sweet!!!! Do it. And let me know how it works out. (Speaking from experience.)
there is no such thing as absolute value. the USA strat is worth buying if you can afford it, if buying it isn't gonna fuck up your finances. if it is, it depends how much you want it and how much its gonna screw your finances and how much it matters.

you also have to consider what else you'd spend the money on. if you have an amp you love and you aren't the kind of person to hoard unusual stompboxes and there's nothing else that you really spend money on then sure, go for it.

ultimate, the only person who can decide if it is worth it is you.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Jan 31, 2008,
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
there is no such thing as absolute value. the USA strat is worth buying if you can afford it, if buying it isn't gonna fuck up your finances. if it is, it depends how much you want it and how much its gonna screw your finances and how much it matters.

you also have to consider what else you'd spend the money on. if you have an amp you love and you aren't the kind of person to hoard unusual stompboxes and there's nothing else that you really spend money on then sure, go for it.

ultimate, the only person who can decide if it is worth it is you.

On the other hand a USA strat will hold its value better than a MIM one in the long run...

As a few other people have said differences are noticable and the American made strats are quality and ARE woeth the money...

But to be fair import guitars are really catching up in terms of quality, in fact if they made some Fenders in Mexico with just as good woods/electronics/hardware i think it would hold up quite well to an American made one...
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

Quote by Tom!!
On the other hand a USA strat will hold its value better than a MIM one in the long run...

As a few other people have said differences are noticable and the American made strats are quality and ARE woeth the money...

But to be fair import guitars are really catching up in terms of quality, in fact if they made some Fenders in Mexico with just as good woods/electronics/hardware i think it would hold up quite well to an American made one...

was your quotation of me entirely arbitrary and meaningless? your words appear not to bear relation to mine.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
was your quotation of me entirely arbitrary and meaningless? your words appear not to bear relation to mine.

Well you mentioned about buying a USA messing up his finances....

I was just highlighting that long-term, buying a mex Strat will do that more than going all out for an american strat.

Cause the american will hold its value more...
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

Quote by Tom!!
Well you mentioned about buying a USA messing up his finances....

I was just highlighting that long-term, buying a mex Strat will do that more than going all out for an american strat.

Cause the american will hold its value more...

its not worth thinking about, to be honest. the resale value on guitars is so bad that it shouldn't really form part of your thinking.

furthermore, although it may hold its value better in terms of proportion of initial cost, in terms of absolute loss, its inferior. ie, even though a USA strat will lose a lower percentage of its value, that percentage is a greater amount of money than the value lost by the Mexican. ergo, it isn't worth buying a USA one in order to keep value.
If, when I bought my MIM strat, I'd had the money for an MIA strat, I would have still bought the MIM strat and then whatever else I could get with the leftover money. Maybe I just got lucky but my particular MIM strat feels better to me than most MIA strats I have ever played.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
YES. American Strats are Awesome! Don't listen to someone who says "No way, I hate strats". The strat sound and look is iconic. If you go cheap, you will always have that voice in your head telling you that you should have gone with the best.
How can anyone actually hate a strat.
Last edited by danohat at Feb 1, 2008,
Honestly, for the price of a American Standard. I would buy a Gibson LP or something more presigous than a Fender, because then you would have to tell everyone that its not the $200 cheap model
~Insert Signature Here~
Quote by Gibsocam
Honestly, for the price of a American Standard. I would buy a Gibson LP or something more presigous than a Fender, because then you would have to tell everyone that its not the $200 cheap model

because there is no such thing as a cheap version of gibson

i say go for it. I had the same thing with my tele, played the MIM, was nice, Played the MIA, and it actually felt like playing butter. It is so much better. maybe i got a duff MIM but i still say go for MIA.

oh, and if you can find a second hand example, go for that. usually, the older they are, the better. especially pre '99.
Quote by Carljenk
**** everyone who died

Quote by whatadrag
necrophiliac
Quote by Gibsocam

A MIA Fender Strat is still cheaper than an LP Studio isnt it?

And LP stuidos are so not worth the money... you can get guitars that are just as good for MUCH less money...

And since when were Les Pauls any more prestigious than Strats?
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

I'm not sure about the strats but I got a Godin sdxt for 615$ about two years ago, although now discontinued, the Godin Sd is very similar. It is much more unique than a stat, and I wouldn't trade for a strat.
Godin is Canadian so it is not as common.
Page 1 of 2