Hey guys, I just started taking a programming class at high school and it deals mainly in Java.. We use jGRASP in class and i've been trying to get it to work on my home computer.. it keeps giving me this error message

"----jGRASP wedge2 error: command "javac" not found." and it refers me to a website to download another program which i think is the actual compiler. It says, " ---- Make sure you have the full JDK (J2SE SDK or other), not just the JRE, installed.
---- The J2SE SDK is available from java.sun.com."

I've downloaded the thing it says to, but I still can't seem to get it going.. anybody know how to fix this?
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
add the directory with the javac program nto the PATH environment variable

for me its something like "C:\j2sdk1.4.2_16\bin"

rightlick on My Computer -> Advanced tab -> Environment Variables -> find the "Path" variable and click edit, add the directory onto the end of whatever is alread there, seperating it with a ;

I just went with the regular Java SDK and its worked to the extent that I've messed around with java
http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&PartDetailId=j2sdk-1.4.2_16-oth-JPR&SiteId=JSC&TransactionId=noreg
Quote by Negative Burn
You need to set your CLASSPATH, do the following: http://www.jgrasp.org/faq.html#wont_compile

Also, I recommend Eclipse IDE (http://www.eclipse.org), it's free and fully functional, and used throughout industry and academia.

When I go in to set up the classpath, what do i click on when i browse for the "path or jar file", and what do i click on for the "documentation path"

After I installed the compiler, there is no normal icon for the program.. and in the installation process, it didn't ask me where to put it.

Edit: that eclipse link isn't working for me.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Last edited by SoccerRM1 at Jan 30, 2008,
1. Go to Sun's download pagevhttp://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp , download and install the "JDK 5.0 Update 14" (third download button from the top). You do not need to download the version that includes NetBeans (though you may do so if you wish). Update 14 is the most recent version as of Jan 22, but any later version is also ok.
2. Add Java to your system PATH:
1. Open the Start Menu.
2. Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties".
3. Click the "Advanced" tab.
4. Click the "Environment Variables" button.
5. In the lower table ("System variables"), select the variable "Path" and press Edit.
6. To the end of the variable value, add a semicolon and then the following:

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_14\bin

Don't replace the entire existing value. The "_14" part above refers to Update 14. If you download a later update, replace the "_14" with the appropriate number.
3. Configure your CLASSPATH:
1. Open the Start Menu.
2. Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties".
3. Click the "Advanced" tab.
4. Click the "Environment Variables" button.
5. In the lower table ("System variables"), select the variable "CLASSPATH" and press Edit. If you don't see a variable with that name, stop here - you don't need to set your CLASSPATH.
6. To the end of the variable value, add a semicolon and then a period. Don't replace the entire existing value.
4. Compile and run your programs from Command Prompt.

Note that the installation of some software (notably the QuickTime media player) will alter your CLASSPATH and cause problems using Java. If this happens, follow the procedure given above for configuring your CLASSPATH.

the forums broke the link :p look at the URL, it included the closing parentheses, just type eclipse.org in your address bar (and download "Eclipse Classic")
^ What he said. Also, try JCreator for your IDE. It's a good piece of software.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie