Can anyone tell me is it possible for me to change the neck by myself?
If yes, what thing should I remember, notice, be careful,etc?
Thanks

Sorry for missing information
here is the the type of my bass and the reason why I want to change the neck
I am having a Fender JP-90
It is a 20 frets bass
I am now playing some music which need the 22 fret which is missing in my bass

Hopefully you know what I am talking about ( my english is not good)

Thanks again
Last edited by Kenny_Jo at Jan 30, 2008,
type of guitar?
what you're looking to do with the new neck and such?

most of the time yes, you can do it yourself, though bringing it to a tech is better... some necks cant be removed unless the guitar is professionally altered.
It's a bolt-on should you should be able to swap the neck. I'm not an expert, but I imagine that your innotaion is going to get all effed up. You might need a techie to do that for you.

Oh, and get a 24 fret, more frets the better. And It will move those frets you need in to an area that's a little easier to get to.
i know this happens for guitar necks but not sure if it is the same for bass necks. If you put a longer neck it can mess up the tuning. Your strings could be in tune when open, but when your push the string down like push the 5th fret and it will be out of tune.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
^Yeah, that's called intonation and it will be messed up I'm guessing. If you truly want a good quality neck buy one and bring it in for a tech, a competent tech, to do it. Don't bring it into GC and expect a good job. Bring it to someone you've brought something to before and trust.
But where can I buy a neck?
Is the ebay the only place I can find a neck?
warmoth.com - excellent resource
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
But beware, don't buy a neck for more frets because new necks have the two frets sticking over the body to keep the neck equal length for all basses. This means that you'll have little to no access to the last two frets so you'll be in the same position as you are now. You should buy a new neck for the fact you want a sexilicious all maple neck, not because you want more frets.
Can anyone tell me what would happen if I changed a fretted neck with a fretless neck?
Quote by Kenny_Jo
Can anyone tell me what would happen if I changed a fretted neck with a fretless neck?

nothing but if you want a fretless defret your current neck
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
NECK POCKETS!!!

Measure your neck pocket (where the neck fits) accuratly. Measure it's depth, length and width.

Then when you look at prospective new necks you can check the measurements. They really need to be the same otherwise you'll need shims etc.

J necks fit into P necks and visa versa btw presuming your Fender is a standard one.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9