First of all, before anyone starts flaming, don't take this wrong, I'm not trying to bash Fender, this is an honest question from someone that gets somewhat bewildered staring at the Guitar Center wall of Fenders...

I got my taxes done early (a first, yay!) and to celebrate, I'm thinking of getting some new equipment. It'll either be an amp or a guitar, and before everyone starts chiming "amp first," this is purely for seeking information regarding guitars. Fenders in particular.

I've got a few guitars, if you look at my profile, and I'm quite happy with the lot of 'em. BUT... I was thinking of getting a strat type guitar with single coils to kind of round out the collection. I used to have a Greg Bennet Malibu, but I sold it (kind of regretting it as it was actually quite a nice guitar) and was thinking of simply buying another, when I started thinking about getting an authentic Fender. So I went to GC, and stared at all the Fenders... stared... played... and stared more...

Other than looks really, the majority seemed to feel the same, and soundwise the Tex special pickups I did like, but I really couldn't figure out many differences that seemed to justify the differences in price. What did I fail to catch?

Granted I didn't spend the whole day there (which I easily could've), so I'm asking your opinions. If I were to spend say... $500-$600 on a Fender, what should I look for, try, compare? Don't suggest much higher, although I can haggle with the best of 'em, I've got other funds slated for other things as well. so about $600 is the limit. Oh, and I figure I'll play pretty much anything like blues to hard rock with it if I do get one.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
honestly, strats don't differ so much.get the one you like and watch the quality control. fender sucks with quality control =(
Quote by Hakael
Other than looks really, the majority seemed to feel the same, and soundwise the Tex special pickups I did like, but I really couldn't figure out many differences that seemed to justify the differences in price. What did I fail to catch?

Possibly where they were made?

The Mexican ones are made with cheaper material and reduced quality as compared to the American ones. I personally find that the Mexican ones don't play nearly as well as the American ones, and don't sound nearly as good at higher volumes. At a low volume I couldn't really tell a huge difference though.
If that's really all there is too it, I may just end up looking elsewhere then. When I had my Malibu, it was a really nice playing guitar. The only thing that it really could've used would have been a pickup change. I really do regret selling it.

Can anyone suggest some strat types I might want to give a look at? I heard that the AXL Bad water series was pretty good (and at the cost, even if it sucks, it would make a nice wall decoration).
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
One of the best deals out there right now are the $388 Highway One Strats that Guitar Center has been clearing out IF you can find one. The go for $750 street normally. They're partially assembled in Mexico but enough of the work is done in America to get a legal "Made in America" tag. You'd have some money leftover to get the exact pups you want too if you don't like the hotter single coils they put in them but I think they sound pretty good.
You could always get one custom made/build one yourself. Warmoth.com can get you pretty much anything you want.

Also, look up G&Ls on eBay. They're not Fenders, but they were designed by Leo Fender himself.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by athlete1
honestly, strats don't differ so much.get the one you like and watch the quality control. fender sucks with quality control =(

oh really? now maybe that's because you tried the crappy fenders.

MIAs are well made, so are MIMs. some MIMs have mediocre fret jobs and setup, but they're playable. Most MIAs are well made, only some of them have flaws. paint job on both are nice, wood grain isn't a big problem if you're going cheap.

as far as nice fenders go, look for a Classic Players '50s series strat. they have a very comfortable neck and vintage sounding pickups. i like them.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard