ok i recently started a band with 6 members a song writer a singer drummer lead and rhythm guitarist and bassist now my rhythm guitarist i just recently discovered and he has been playing for 5 years compared to my six months he cant even make a part to the song also iv been playing for six months im pretty good but i want to be better and faster without so much practice plus i can only play one song and im the one who made it and he persists with saying he should be lead and that we need to change the song to something that isnt even correct with the rest of the band and i dont know wat to do with him he is one of my good friends to but i dont think i can accomplish my goals if he continues to act like the leader when he doesnt even have any musical background.
-Pulse-
if you can only play one song then you shouldnt be in a band much less lead guitar.
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
if the other guy has so much more experience than you do, shouldn't you back off and let him do the lead?
...What? Can you format that into sentences for me?
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
ya no offense but there is a lot to more to learn that you cannot achieve in six months
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Switch off who plays lead. Its all about creating something bigger than you guys, so whoever can contribute the best for that particular piece at that particular time should. As for deciding what is better, you two have four other people there who have opinions, ask them. And its not really about who can play better, but how you can come together to make it sound amazing. Be supportive.
Heres some help:

1. Use Grammar. Theres was absolutely no punctuation in there except for the period at the end.

2. I honestly could not figure out what the heck you were saying.

3. You want to be better and not practice? Fail. You will only get better by devoting yourself to practice.

4. Based on what i could understand of that, maybe your friend should be lead. Since hes been playing for 4.5 more years than you, he might be a little better, which brings me to my next point...

5. If hes been playing for 5 years, I would say he does have a musical background.

Most of that is just my opinion. Although, it is a fact that you need to learn grammar. Hope that helps.
Alright, first things first. Get together with your entire band, set them down, and discuss the band's goals collectively. you may find, to you dismay, that not everybody will have the same goals as you. You might be able to change their minds concerning their goals if they aren't already well set in their beliefs, but don't expect it. If the band members have radically different goals, then the band won't probably work out well. If the goals are only slightly different, you might be able to work a compromise. 95% of band success is determined non-musically. Just remember that.
ok, now well when i said i can only play one song i meant that as the band can only play one song i can play around ten,and zac the person who has played for five years can only play two full songs and they are james bond theme and sweet child o mine and im sorry for the lack of punctuation ok.and when i say less practice mean less then six hours a day which is what im contributing now.
-Pulse-
thank you that is some good advice but do u have any for the other guitarist.also i would like to explain his views he thought that there was no such thing as an F# on the guitar secondly he continues to argue with me and say im retarded when im in the high school band and he is an abnoxious redneck.
-Pulse-
AND DAS FISHY, i tried that it wasmy first intention to have a switch of lead and rhythm, but if he is on lead he has to make his won part to the song but when he does it sounds terrible nothing is in tune when he makes a part.and phrenchphries when i say musical background i mean being able to read music and play a different instrument and also know a little bit about music theory.
-Pulse-
Quote by rock clown
AND DAS FISHY, i tried that it wasmy first intention to have a switch of lead and rhythm, but if he is on lead he has to make his won part to the song but when he does it sounds terrible nothing is in tune when he makes a part.and phrenchphries when i say musical background i mean being able to read music and play a different instrument and also know a little bit about music theory.

If his pride doesn't get in the way, try to teach him scales and keys. If not, and you can't work anything out, but the rest of the band is really into continuing, get rid of him. It's easier said then done, but from a musical perspective, you don't need a second guitarist. Just look at Rage Against the Machine.

And does the song writer play any instruments?
i will definitely be setting everyone down to discuss our goals.true a second guitarist really needed but for the song i want to perfect it is.no my song writer can only play the fiddle my singer is a much better guitar player than I but he says ha cant take lead and sing at the same time.my bassist is very skilled but only at bass which is good.my drummer is a good drummer but he doesn't know that many rhythms either and kinda has a crappy drum set which now that iv gotten me a better guitar we will be getting him one.i know my drummers goals he says if we can go pro he is all for it and will stick with the band forever.
-Pulse-
Quote by rock clown
also i would like to explain his views he thought that there was no such thing as an F# on the guitar secondly he continues to argue with me and say im retarded when im in the high school band and he is an abnoxious redneck.

If he such an "obnoxious redneck", why are you in a band with him? You seemed to be talking him up before, when you said he's been playing for five years. If he sucks, don't bother with him. Don't just keep him around just because he plays guitar.

Quote by rock clown
my drummer is a good drummer but he doesn't know that many rhythms either and kinda has a crappy drum set which now that iv gotten me a better guitar we will be getting him one.

Why the hell would you and your band mates buy your drummer a new drum set? You say he's committed to the band 100%. Leave "we" out of it and let him get his own drums, if he really needs them. Otherwise, if your band breaks up, all you're gonna be complaining about is that you want your money back for what you put into his drums, and you're gonna feel like an idiot.

You've insulted your whole band in this thread. Why are you with them as if you're stuck with them?
ok well, considering you just said your singer can play guitar well, why don't you have your singer play rhythm guitar, you play lead, and find a way to let your friend and the song writer nicely go since they seem to be more of a burden than anything.
Quote by TheCama
you are my bitches. all of you. don't fool yourself. i pwn.
ok to ssdd,he is also my friend thats why its hard to just let him go i mean i could put him to other work.to koolcow, thats what im going to ask him do and my song writer is also my stage manager she turns up the amps during practice.
-Pulse-
Quote by rock clown
ok to ssdd,he is also my friend thats why its hard to just let him go i mean i could put him to other work.to koolcow, thats what im going to ask him do and my song writer is also my stage manager she turns up the amps during practice.

It doesn't matter. There's a fine line between business and friendship, and if someone is holding you down, especially in music, you can't have that.

And why can't you turn up your own amps? Stage managers don't run your amps. Stage manager...manages the stage, and basically just run things if anything goes weary. You don't need one though unless you play in front of maybe a few hundred people each gig.
dude 10 songs...6 months... i dont know if your even ready to be in a band yet man, leave sounds like the only compotent musician is your singer...and F# is a note you may just be calling it Gb
and the get better with out practice is like losing weight while doing the same things you always do, IT DOESN'T WORK!
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
ok im really getting sick of the criticism from some of you ppl the forum is about helping a fellow musician out with his band.can we please stop with the criticism and stay on topic.and when i say turn up the amps i cant exactly do that while im playing ok she turns up disortion and volume according to where it comes in and also we do play front of ppl at a local party joint.I may not be ready for a band but putting me down with all these negative comments don't help either but guess wat being in a band with at least one better person is helpful to development in everyones skill.
-Pulse-
Quote by rock clown
ok im really getting sick of the criticism from some of you ppl the forum is about helping a fellow musician out with his band.can we please stop with the criticism and stay on topic.and when i say turn up the amps i cant exactly do that while im playing ok she turns up disortion and volume according to where it comes in and also we do play front of ppl at a local party joint.I may not be ready for a band but putting me down with all these negative comments don't help either but guess wat being in a band with at least one better person is helpful to development in everyones skill.

If you can't stand criticism, especially negative feedback (and sorry, but you're being quite a p***y about it), for one, you shouldn't be asking for help, and two, you're definitely not ready to be a musician.

If you want a piece of positive advice, then here's what I think you should do. You should probably buy a volume pedal. Having someone turn up your amp when you come in? That just looks unprofessional. Plus, there is also ALWAYS a volume knob on your guitar.

But like I said, if you can't stand the heat, get the hell off of UG.
Quote by SSDDPunkRocker
If you can't stand criticism, especially negative feedback (and sorry, but you're being quite a p***y about it), for one, you shouldn't be asking for help, and two, you're definitely not ready to be a musician.

If you want a piece of positive advice, then here's what I think you should do. You should probably buy a volume pedal. Having someone turn up your amp when you come in? That just looks unprofessional. Plus, there is also ALWAYS a volume knob on your guitar.

But like I said, if you can't stand the heat, get the hell off of UG.

+1
dude ive been playin for 2 years and almos a year and a half were seriose and im barley ready to be in a band(im gettin one now) but i can do everthing i need too.
jamming helps you get better much faster but if your not ready dont do it its like skydiving without a parachute.

and saying you want to get beter without practice is really a stupid idea man really bad.

EDIT: i hate to give you bad critism but its the truth man, but everyone takes negitive critism but you fix the problem and become better from it its the same thing as positive critism just not as sugercoated. grow up and deal with it.
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Last edited by Mr.Cuddles at Feb 2, 2008,
ok well i don't have money to buy a volume pedal ok, if I had money to buy what I want when I want then I wouldn't even be posting this d*** forum cuz personally I know a lot more about musicianship than ppl give me credit for.You don't have any right to say someone isn't ready to be a musician, go look up the definition of it, now iI want you to think about the knob comment, when your playing how are you supposed to strum if your going to reach down and change the position of the knob huh?
-Pulse-
Holy damn, dude. You post on these forums for help and suggestions, but you ending up defending yourself, as if I'm being f**king Hitler. You're lucky any of these people took time out of their lives to post replies to help you out, whether they hurt some of your precious feelings or not.

Quote by rock clown
You don't have any right to say someone isn't ready to be a musician, go look up the definition of it

For one, there's no definition for being a true musician. It's all common sense, including the ability to take negativity. Nobody's telling you to quit or saying you suck. Everyone starts somewhere, and these suggestions are

Quote by rock clown
...I wouldn't even be posting this d*** forum cuz personally I know a lot more about musicianship than ppl give me credit for

You've been playing for sixth whole months! I've been playing in bands, booking gigs, recording, and taught several people to play guitar for over three years. It may not seem like much (ha) but it's better to listen to someone with experience that being stubborn and arrogant.
Quote by rock clown
ok well i don't have money to buy a volume pedal ok, if I had money to buy what I want when I want then I wouldn't even be posting this d*** forum cuz personally I know a lot more about musicianship than ppl give me credit for.You don't have any right to say someone isn't ready to be a musician, go look up the definition of it, now iI want you to think about the knob comment, when your playing how are you supposed to strum if your going to reach down and change the position of the knob huh?

for the knob thing afer a little while if you try you can switch settings on your guitr very naturally.
i didnt say your not ready to be a musician i said you probly arent ready to be in a band, and trust me everyone thinks they know alot when they start of but then you learn about complacted theroy and all the other things it has and your brain explodes and you realize your not as good as you thought.
and if your going to mock the forum then gtfo.
thte guy who built spent alot of time on it so respect it hes done more for us then we have for him and the mods.
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
ok ssddpunkrocker your obviously not listening to me i said im new to guitar not to music iv been playing music since i was four thats ten years experience which may not be much in some ppls eyes but ur not rly helping me at all your just saying things that i already knew. mr cuddles is helping a lil bit but for some reason he is still lost in the misunderstanding that i want to practice less for more and wanted some tips on that god ya'll are like das seriouslyif ur going to insult me know what im talking about first and decipher the misunderstandings.but this forum hasnt helped anyone so im not going to pay any attention anymore.
-Pulse-
The only way we can "know what you're talking about" is if you make your posts legible. Jesus Christ.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by rock clown
ok ssddpunkrocker your obviously not listening to me i said im new to guitar not to music iv been playing music since i was four thats ten years experience which may not be much in some ppls eyes but ur not rly helping me at all your just saying things that i already knew. mr cuddles is helping a lil bit but for some reason he is still lost in the misunderstanding that i want to practice less for more and wanted some tips on that god ya'll are like das seriouslyif ur going to insult me know what im talking about first and decipher the misunderstandings.but this forum hasnt helped anyone so im not going to pay any attention anymore.

Quote by rock clown
iv been playing for six months im pretty good but i want to be better and faster without so much practice

its written in black and white dude...
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
Bulls**t dude. Maturity comes with musicianship, so when you're ready, come back.

Quote by rock clown
but this forum hasnt helped anyone so im not going to pay any attention anymore.

okay bye.